Who's better, Olofsson or Reinhart

LGR4GM

Better  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Who's better at hockey now?

• Olofsson
    • Reinhart
  2. 2. Who will be better at hockey 2 years from now?

• Olofsson
    • Reinhart

Olof had 54 GP last season with 42 points. I can see him being a PPG player in two years on either of our top two lines.

I think their ceiling is about that same as far as points are concerned. Sam had 50 ipoints in 69 GP last season and the season before had 65 in a full 82 GP. They’re definitely comparable. 

I went Olofsson for both.

No of course I didn't, Reinhart Reinhart.

Not even close. Sam's younger, smarter, more well rounded, better along the boards, plays in front of the net & is a better passer. Also been much more productive over his career, on even strength & just in general, & has much more experience.

Not much of a choice really. Maybe a better poll would be Skinner vs Reinhart

4 minutes ago, In The Buff said:

Not even close. Sam's younger, smarter, more well rounded, better along the boards, plays in front of the net & is a better passer. Also been much more productive over his career, on even strength & just in general, & has much more experience.

Or Skinner vs Olofsson.  The answer today is likely clear.  2 years from now, not as clear.

52 minutes ago, In The Buff said:

Still too easy. 

Let's try Hall Reinhart

Just now, LGR4GM said:

I was curious because I get a sense ppl are more positive about olofsson. 

Reinhart is a 60 pt player w/ Staal.  A 70 point player (outside shot at 80 if Eichel & Hall are both 90+ guys) w/ Eichel.

Olofsson is likely high 40's w/ Staal; and 60 pt w/ Eichel.  (Outside chance of 70 optimally.)  

Olofsson improves more w/ Eichel.  But Skinner improves more w/ Reinhart rather than Vic, too.

And, what's not to be positive about Vic?  He gives the Sabres at least 4W's that can play at a top 6 level.  Again, what's not to love?  Due to his age & his success at other levels am not expecting any Sophomore slump.  He's more defensively sound than Skinner.

We'll still be learning the full extent of what Olofsson can do.  (And what he can't.)   We know what Sam is.  Just not sure how much higher the ceiling is.

• Like (+1) 1

Dig if you will the picture:

VO plays most of the season with Eichel and Hall, stays healthy, gets a lot of PP1 time and a lot of PPGs on the one-timer from the dot, because there is simply no defense for a PP1 of Eichel, Hall, Reino, VO and Dahlin, and puts up, say, 34-32-66.

Reino plays most of the season -- a contract season, btw -- with Staal and Skinner, gets plenty of PP1 time and puts up, say, 26-40-66.

VO played 18:23 per game last year in his 1st NHL season and had 20 goals and 22 assists in 54 games.

Sam played 20:38 per game last year in his 5th NHL season and had 22 goals and 28 assists in 69 games.

There is no question that Sam was a more important player than VO last season.  He is, as noted upthread, a smarter and more well-rounded player, a better passer, and is better at getting the puck out of the D-zone than VO is.

But VO is faster and his shot is the best NHL skill that either of them possesses.  He was better in his 1st NHL season than Reino was in his.  And VO will probably get a bit better each of the next few years as he gets more NHL experience and coaching, although Reino will also continue to improve.

If the hypothetical numbers above prove out, VO will, like Hall, play a major role in the Sabres' thinking about whether to give Reino a big contract next offseason.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Reinhart is a 60 pt player w/ Staal.  A 70 point player (outside shot at 80 if Eichel & Hall are both 90+ guys) w/ Eichel.

Olofsson is likely high 40's w/ Staal; and 60 pt w/ Eichel.  (Outside chance of 70 optimally.)  

Olofsson improves more w/ Eichel.  But Skinner improves more w/ Reinhart rather than Vic, too.

And, what's not to be positive about Vic?  He gives the Sabres at least 4W's that can play at a top 6 level.  Again, what's not to love?  Due to his age & his success at other levels am not expecting any Sophomore slump.  He's more defensively sound than Skinner.

We'll still be learning the full extent of what Olofsson can do.  (And what he can't.)   We know what Sam is.  Just not sure how much higher the ceiling is.

Agree with the spirit of this but at this point in time Sam hasn't shown himself to be a 70 point player w/Jack 

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

Agree with the spirit of this but at this point in time Sam hasn't shown himself to be a 70 point player w/Jack 

What? I think he's proven that he will be a 70 point player with or without Jack.

Edited by SwampD

4 hours ago, In The Buff said:

true. Skinner's a better shooter, better goal scorer, better skater, and is harder to defend in front of the net. Reinhart is a better passer, slightly better 2 way player, and if/when he applies himself is better all around, but he doesn't always. 

1 hour ago, SwampD said:

What? I think he's proven that he will be a 70 point player with or without Jack.

He's proven that? How can a player who's only eclipsed 60 points once, with a career high of 65 points, have proven he's/will be a 70 point player?

Maybe he'll become that one day but the post I quoted said "is". Granted re-reading it an "is" about the coming year, assuming he'd be with Jack and Hall, which is a reasonable guess. But he certainly hasn't *proven* he'll become that, to your point. 

He's turning 25 years old, he's in his statistical prime. 

Edited by Thorny

VO is a much more dangerous shooter by a fair amount.  I don’t think he is as complete a player though.

VO reminds me alot of Ray Sheppard.  Versus the Patrick Sharpe - Sam comparison I’m so fond of.   Who was the more valuable player overall?  I’m not sure.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Thorny said:

Well, my expectation is (assuming all are healthy full season & an 82 game schedule) that Eichel will be at least 90 points, likely 100+, and Hall will be 80+ and very likely 90+.

If Reinhart plays the full season with them and can't crack 70, my (and those of just about everyone here not named MODO or Pi) evaluation of him will have been demonstrated to be too rosy.

6 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Well, my expectation is (assuming all are healthy full season & an 82 game schedule) that Eichel will be at least 90 points, likely 100+, and Hall will be 80+ and very likely 90+.

And if he does hit 70pts?

Does that mean he can hit 70pts away from Jack, as someone suggested? Or does it mean he needs elite linemates to hit that plateau?

I think Jack and Hall could get Sobotka/Frolik to 50pts or Melody Martin to 45pts.

3 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Meh. I’m a Reinhart fan. I’m gonna temper my expectations and predictions a tad.

Eichel ... 85 pts

Hall ... 75 pts

Skinner ... 65 pts

Reinhart ... 60 pts

Staal ... 55 pts

Olofsson ... 55 pts

Dahlin ... 50 pts

Something like that actually seems possible, which is crazy.

To compare, Tampa, pro-rated over 82 games last year:

Kucherov 100

Stamkos 85

Point 80

Hedman 65

Killorn 60

Cirelli 55

Palat 50

11 minutes ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

Does that mean he can hit 70pts away from Jack, as someone suggested? Or does it mean he needs elite linemates to hit that plateau?

I think Jack and Hall could get Sobotka/Frolik to 50pts or Melody Martin to 45pts.

A better question is ... can Jack hit 85+ points without Reinhart? The knee jerk answer isn’t necessarily the accurate one....

There’s something to be said for chemistry of a line.

17 minutes ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

Every player needs elite linemates to hit their plateau.  It should be self evident that surrounding even Wayne Gretzky with elite players results in more points for Wayne than surrounding him with lesser players.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.