Time for Someone to Give Cirelli An Offer Sheet.

GASabresIUFAN

I’d suggest us, but the Hall signing ended that possibility.  However if I’m Det or Ottawa I’d offer him 7 for 7 years and put TB in a corner they can’t match.  

It may not be the worst thing for Tampa.  Their core is still great without Cirelli and those picks could replenish their pipeline, especially if Det or Ottawa continue to struggle this coming season. Honestly Cirelli on Ott, with all their positive moves scares the crap out of me.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I’d suggest us, but the Hall signing ended that possibility.  However if I’m Det or Ottawa I’d offer him 7 for 7 years and put TB in a corner they can’t match.  

It may not be the worst thing for Tampa.  Their core is still great without Cirelli and those picks could replenish their pipeline, especially if Det or Ottawa continue to struggle this coming season. Honestly Cirelli on Ott, with all their positive moves scares the crap out of me.  

The offer sheet compensation at $7M is a 1st, a 2nd, and a 3rd, and both Detroit and Ottawa are lottery teams.  That 1st is very likely to be a top 5 pick and could easily end up number 1 overall.

Cirelli is a great player, but I don't know if he's worth an unprotected top 5 pick as well as a 2nd and 3rd.

I don't think that offer sheets rarely happen because of some unwritten rule among GMs.  I think they rarely happen because it is incredibly rare that a team with enough cap space to make the offer sheet is good enough to give up the draft picks without issue.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Shootica said:

The offer sheet compensation at $7M is a 1st, a 2nd, and a 3rd, and both Detroit and Ottawa are lottery teams.  That 1st is very likely to be a top 5 pick and could easily end up number 1 overall.

Cirelli is a great player, but I don't know if he's worth an unprotected top 5 pick as well as a 2nd and 3rd.

I don't think that offer sheets rarely happen because of some unwritten rule among GMs.  I think they rarely happen because it is incredibly rare that a team with enough cap space to make the offer sheet is good enough to give up the draft picks without issue.

I might agree on Det,  but Ottawa has added quality players across their lineup this off-season including where we need help in goal.  Cirelli could make them a bubble playoff team.  If that is the case, it’s doubtful the 1st pick will be a top 5 selection.

Cirelli could turn down the offer sheet, but TB could trade his rights for something similar to the offer sheet compensation and at that point Ottawa or whomever can protect against a top 5 lottery pick.

4 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I might agree on Det,  but Ottawa has added quality players across their lineup this off-season including where we need help in goal.  Cirelli could make them a bubble playoff team.  If that is the case, it’s doubtful the 1st pick will be a top 5 selection.

Cirelli could turn down the offer sheet, but TB could trade his rights for something similar to the offer sheet compensation and at that point Ottawa or whomever can protect against a top 5 lottery pick.

Ottawa is not spending that money and nobody is leaving Tampa for them.

1 minute ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Doubtful true, but remember nobody expected SJ's pick this year to be #5 when they acquired Karlsson and Filly, Joisey, & the Rags have all seen ridiculous leaps in draft status by being "bubble" teams.

When the team is clearly in rebuild mode and ownership was on record a couple of years back saying IIRC '21-'22 is when they really will be back from the dead, would be surprised if they actually make an offer now.  That 1st can not be lottery protected.  Could see them try it next year, but would be surprised if they did so now.

I'll admit I don't see Cirelli much in the regular season, but whenever I watched TB in the playoffs(I didn't see all their games), he was very underwhelming in terms of his offensive game.  I'm sure he has a very nice 200' game, but I'm glad the Sabres aren't in the market for him.

Maybe it was just a bad playoff year for him?

9 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Doubtful true, but remember nobody expected SJ's pick this year to be #5 when they acquired Karlsson and Filly, Joisey, & the Rags have all seen ridiculous leaps in draft status by being "bubble" teams.

When the team is clearly in rebuild mode and ownership was on record a couple of years back saying IIRC '21-'22 is when they really will be back from the dead, would be surprised if they actually make an offer now.  That 1st can not be lottery protected.  Could see them try it next year, but would be surprised if they did so now.

You make an excellent point that the timing isn't right because such a financial commitment doesn't match their rebuilding schedule . As you point out Ottawa is in a rebuild mode and their timetable to become a serious team is still another year or two down the road. However, you have to be impressed with the number of young talents that they are accumulating. 

I'm aware that hockey is a business as much for the players as it is for franchises. But it would be a difficult transition for a player to play on reliable cup contending and cup championship team to go to Ottawa.  

Tampa is one of the best run hockey operations. It is going to be interesting to see how they handle their onerous cap situation. There is a lot of tough personnel decisions that have to be faced. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I feel like Detroit improved more than Ottawa probably.  Remember that Ottawa also lost Duclair and Pageau off their team.

5 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

It was already ended when we traded a 3rd for Vesey. 

• Thanks (+1) 4

3 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I don't know, even with Cirelli their lineup looks considerably weaker than ours, and most people barely consider us a bubble playoff team.

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

It was already ended when we traded a 3rd for Vesey. 

It won't be us because Vesey. It won't be Detroit or Ottawa because neither Cirelli nor Sergachev is sufficient to take them out of the top 8 picks. But tons have teams can easily drop 6.5 on Sergachev or Cirelli, and are just afraid to do so.

Our RFAs came in under what I expected (I thought Olofsson would be more like Kubalik in the 3.4-3.7 range). So maybe Tampa gets them on super-cheap team-friendly one-year deals (like Cirelli at 3.5 and Sergachev at 3.8... which still puts them over the cap), but just paints all other GMs with their 1-3 picks as cowards for not prying either away at 5/year.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.