Sabres Sign Victor Olofsson to a 2 year 3.05 Million AAV Deal

Brawndo

One thing that hasn't been mentioned, apologies if it was and missed it, but all these deals at the low end of the spectrum shows 1 thing beyond that COVID has really wreaked havoc upon the market & Adams might have something on the ball, is that these players almost definitely do believe in Krueger and HIS vision.  

That's something that isn't always there for a coach entering only his 3rd season ever as a HC at this level.

And also, oddly, it is very likely ALL 3 seasons he'll have coached will have been less than 82 games long.  You have to go back to the old 80 game schedule days to find the next most recent coach that can say that.

Hopefully, this year he finally breaks that playoff-less streak.

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Taro T said:

One thing that hasn't been mentioned, apologies if it was and missed it, but all these deals at the low end of the spectrum shows 1 thing beyond that COVID has really wreaked havoc upon the market & Adams might have something on the ball, is that these players almost definitely do believe in Krueger and HIS vision.  

That's something that isn't always there for a coach entering only his 3rd season ever as a HC at this level.

And also, oddly, it is very likely ALL 3 seasons he'll have coached will have been less than 82 games long.  You have to go back to the old 80 game schedule days to find the next most recent coach that can say that.

Hopefully, this year he finally breaks that playoff-less streak.

I think Linus - who has to be the most honest interview on the team, and a great dude - made reference to feeling like the coaching staff believed in him.

Sam - who is far more careful with the media - lit up when they asked him about Krueger.

If this team starts winning, we will become a place where people want to play. I firmly believe that.

But we have to start winning.

• Like (+1) 4

5 hours ago, tom webster said:

This is all heading toward the perfect scenario for TPEGS. They are going to be near the cap but the actual cash paid out before escrow is still going to be $5/6 million below plus escrow plus 10% deferral if he wants it.

And I know I’ve been a broken record but they will upgrade in net unless a confluence of events occurs that I’d bet are less then one percent of happening. Taylor Hall is a well connected as anyone in hockey. He doesn’t come here unless Raku explains how they are going to make this all work.

Uh oh, new verbiage...

😜

6 hours ago, Taro T said:

There's a 2 day window now open to buyout one player if they chose to do so.

Why now? I thought it was after the last RFA deal? I thought Mittelstadt was still to come. 

NM - it's about Arb hearings

Edited by Thorny

Just now, tom webster said:

Well there is always that caveat, especially with so much uncertainty going forward. You don’t really think that they would give out all these one year deals and not fix the goaltending? 

No - I think what looks to be a very cohesive strategy would be marooned by not making the move, such that I can't see it not happening considering the aptitude we've seen shining through with Adams. 

But I worry and draw confidence from your confidence on the issue. 

4 hours ago, JohnC said:

I don't smell the taint that you are getting a sniff of. He is giving his opinion without any reservations. That's what people in the opinion business do.  Rob Ray also works for the Sabres as an analyst and he isn't afraid to give his unfettered opinion on WGR. Habitual cynicism can be a contaminant.

Why are people around here sniffing taints?

• Haha (+1) 2

3 hours ago, JohnC said:

I don't smell the taint that you are getting a sniff of. He is giving his opinion without any reservations. That's what people in the opinion business do.  Rob Ray also works for the Sabres as an analyst and he isn't afraid to give his unfettered opinion on WGR. Habitual cynicism can be a contaminant.

As stated above by others, Rob and Marty are free to editorialize, however rarely do they question decisions of Management and certainly not that of ownership.  Example - In hindsight or maybe even foresight Mitts should’ve been sent down to Rochester long before he was.   You never heard Rob or Marty critique JB for keeping him in the line up.  Perhaps just critical of certain plays on the ice during the game or at intermission.   What I’m getting at is that if the Sabres cannot acquire a new goaltender it might be awkward behind the scenes if Marty comes out and says the Sabres need an improvement in goal, verses giving his full support of the player. 

If the Sabres are fortunate enough to trade, let’s see how quickly he pivots to support that of the acquired player.  If he doesn’t and says the move was superfluous and unnecessary (b/c Hutts can handle the load) then I’ll believe how you have positioned your contrarian view.   I don’t think that is being cynical.  

• Like (+1) 2

If KO remains a viable 4th liner I'm not really interested in a buy-out. Extending the term out over double the years remaining doesn't sit well w/me. 

3 hours ago, Shootica said:

I don't mind the idea of bringing in a third goalie to challenge Hutton for the number 2 spot.  I'd rather just flat out replace him, but that isn't a bad option either.

There is a reasonable chance that Hutton comes in with his eye problems fixed and performs like the career .910 backup goalie he's been.  It's just not a chance I'd like to gamble on with a compressed schedule.  We've already seen an Ullmark injury completely derail the season once, I'd prefer not to roll those dice again.

I think this is where I disagree with any sort of middle position on Hutton. To my mind, there is *not* a reasonable chance Hutton performs that way, an exceptionally poor thing to bet on, considering aging curves, considering he has not performed at that level during his time in Buffalo - 3.00 GAA + .908 sv% is the BEST we saw over the course of a full season, two years ago.

In a year we have otherwise set up for a playoff run, where we need better from the goalie position, we wanna go ahead and bet on getting that from a player who *hasn't* sustained that level over a season for us, who's only gotten worse, older, and more injured since he arrived? I don't think there is a viable argument for it. 

Going into the season with the same back 8 as last year is not something I see arising. 

Edited by Thorny

5 minutes ago, Broken Ankles said:

As stated above by others, Rob and Marty are free to editorialize, however rarely do they question decisions of Management and certainly not that of ownership.  Example - In hindsight or maybe even foresight Mitts should’ve been sent down to Rochester long before he was.   You never heard Rob or Marty critique JB for keeping him in the line up.  Perhaps just critical of certain plays on the ice during the game or at intermission.   What I’m getting at is that if the Sabres cannot acquire a new goaltender it might be awkward behind the scenes if Marty comes out and says the Sabres need an improvement in goal, verses giving his full support of the player. 

If the Sabres are fortunate enough to trade, let’s see how quickly he pivots to support that of the acquired player.  If he doesn’t and says the move was superfluous and unnecessary (b/c Hutts can handle the load) then I’ll believe how you have positioned your contrarian view.   I don’t think that is being cynical.  

You are over analyzing this issue. People in the opinion business give their opinions. And if they change their opinions that shouldn't be surprising because people in the opinion business very often change their opinions. 

As far as a reluctance to not criticizing the owners that is the standard for all employees in their position. That's called common sense and job security.  

Well I think that's that and that's going to be the roster to start the season if or when we have one. Goaltending is the biggest question mark but I doubt they do anything further. 

Looking at it, we're definitely better than last year, how it all clicks together might determine how good it ends up being. I'm cautiously optimistic. 

I like the deal.  Another move by Adams that I like.  

Next step is move a RHD with some salary to acquire a goalie.  I guess I would prefer to move Miller if possible.  

Adams looking sharp so far.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, dudacek said:

Maybe I’m not one of the smart gang, but this doesn’t rile me up.

While I disagree it is the right decision, or that it’s a decision that has been made, I can certainly see the Sabres saying Ullmark is ready, and Hutton will be better. There are reasons supporting both those positions.

And I suspect the Sabres have decided they will not overpay for a goalie because of those reasons.

But I also think that the Sabres have invested heavily in being good this year, and there are too many questions tied to their current tandem not to try for an upgrade. If they can make a trade, they will.

Most people would agree with you that if a backup upgrade is available the organization would seize that opportunity. Originally, I thought it was going to be one of the first acts of new GM. When Krueger who is a precise wordsmith made the oblique comment that these are our goalies at this time I thought that it was a clear signal that a goalie change was going to quickly materialize. It didn't. 

You astutely noted that you felt that the organization was not going to overpay for a goalie. Although it currently may not be completely satisfied with the goalie situation it is satisfied to the point that it wasn't going to expend resources $$$$ to do so. At least at this time. 

The bigger issue for the organization is whether Ullmark is prepared to assume the workhorse load as a #1 goalie. I get the sense that they believe he is ready to assume that responsibility. If Hutton struggles early on as a backup their thinking is probably that he can be replaced more easily for another backup. 

Time will tell. 

12 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Most people would agree with you that if a backup upgrade is available the organization would seize that opportunity. Originally, I thought it was going to be one of the first acts of new GM. When Krueger who is a precise wordsmith made the oblique comment that these are our goalies at this time I thought that it was a clear signal that a goalie change was going to quickly materialize. It didn't. 

You astutely noted that you felt that the organization was not going to overpay for a goalie. Although it currently may not be completely satisfied with the goalie situation it is satisfied to the point that it wasn't going to expend resources $$$$ to do so. At least at this time. 

The bigger issue for the organization is whether Ullmark is prepared to assume the workhorse load as a #1 goalie. I get the sense that they believe he is ready to assume that responsibility. If Hutton struggles early on as a backup their thinking is probably that he can be replaced more easily for another backup. 

Time will tell. 

See, that right there is where a lot of the angst over Adams' actual performance in real time was generated.  We saw no changes to the NHL coaching staff though at a minimum especially ST's coaching left a LOT a question marks after the way both units underperformed.

That was accompanied by a major bloodletting throughout the rest of the hockey department including the wholesale canning of the Amerks coaching staff including the very well respected Taylor.

The Staal pick up was great.  But that was followed with a non-tender to Kahun & a quizzical selection of a goal scoring winger when 2 higher rated C's and 1 equivalently rated C was available and C seemed to be more of an issue prospectwise & tougher to come by than RW would be.  (No idea at the time that Eakin was on the radar, not that he's LT but you get the idea hopefully.)

We then saw very minor moves around the periphery (Eakin, Reider, Girgensons back at an overpayment, Irwin, & Davidson).  It looked like more deck chair movement and questionable drafting similar to what the previous guy did.  We didn't know Hall was both the target & that there was a legitimate shot Adams would land him.

That goalie upgrade was in the same space the top 6 W upgrade was in prior to Hall saying yes.  As every other hole has been addressed (not necessarily filled, but addressed), my expectation is there is a plan to address it as well.  And that as that plan was to obtain 1 via trade market, he hasn't been able to execute it yet as the timing wasn't right.  Can he make the trade?  Don't know, but do believe he expects he can.

Which, finally (you can say that again) gets us back to the point.  Adams knew all along that Hall (or possibly a Toffoli should Hall not appear likely once due diligence was performed) was the target to finish fixing th e top 6 and none of those other minor moves, which were still also necessary though of lesser importance, affected the Sabres ability to get Hall.  We (well those of us not known as Tom Webster) didn't know that was the plan and were freaking out because all there was to go on publicly was not reasuring, to put it mildly.  It looked like we had another Botterill (at best) because we had limited information to go on & though Kevyn was getting stuff done on time, it seemed the priorities were out of whack because the easy stuff was getting done 1st and because his & Krueger's evaluation of the organization's coaches didn't align with our (the collective our/us, there were outliers that didn't agree w/ the coloective) evaluations of them.  Adams has now done enough to get the presumption that he can pull this off.  (Hooing he's right on coaching.)

Though the calendar says Halloween, the NHL calendar is in early August were this a normal year.  Adams has at least a month to get a goalie deal worked out before we're into just the 'teams have to get cap compliant, we have to do SOMETHING' mode.

As to your other point about Ullmark being the presumptive starter.  Until he EARNS that distinction hoping & expecting it isn't written in anything more than pencil.  Whomever is in camp with him will get the chance to take that role & may the better goalie win.  Ryan Miller won the battle w/ Biron & Noronnen, he stole it from Marty & didn't let Mika steal it from him.

50 minutes ago, Taro T said:

See, that right there is where a lot of the angst over Adams' actual performance in real time was generated.  We saw no changes to the NHL coaching staff though at a minimum especially ST's coaching left a LOT a question marks after the way both units underperformed.

That was accompanied by a major bloodletting throughout the rest of the hockey department including the wholesale canning of the Amerks coaching staff including the very well respected Taylor.

The Staal pick up was great.  But that was followed with a non-tender to Kahun & a quizzical selection of a goal scoring winger when 2 higher rated C's and 1 equivalently rated C was available and C seemed to be more of an issue prospectwise & tougher to come by than RW would be.  (No idea at the time that Eakin was on the radar, not that he's LT but you get the idea hopefully.)

We then saw very minor moves around the periphery (Eakin, Reider, Girgensons back at an overpayment, Irwin, & Davidson).  It looked like more deck chair movement and questionable drafting similar to what the previous guy did.  We didn't know Hall was both the target & that there was a legitimate shot Adams would land him.

That goalie upgrade was in the same space the top 6 W upgrade was in prior to Hall saying yes.  As every other hole has been addressed (not necessarily filled, but addressed), my expectation is there is a plan to address it as well.  And that as that plan was to obtain 1 via trade market, he hasn't been able to execute it yet as the timing wasn't right.  Can he make the trade?  Don't know, but do believe he expects he can.

Which, finally (you can say that again) gets us back to the point.  Adams knew all along that Hall (or possibly a Toffoli should Hall not appear likely once due diligence was performed) was the target to finish fixing th e top 6 and none of those other minor moves, which were still also necessary though of lesser importance, affected the Sabres ability to get Hall.  We (well those of us not known as Tom Webster) didn't know that was the plan and were freaking out because all there was to go on publicly was not reasuring, to put it mildly.  It looked like we had another Botterill (at best) because we had limited information to go on & though Kevyn was getting stuff done on time, it seemed the priorities were out of whack because the easy stuff was getting done 1st and because his & Krueger's evaluation of the organization's coaches didn't align with our (the collective our/us, there were outliers that didn't agree w/ the coloective) evaluations of them.  Adams has now done enough to get the presumption that he can pull this off.  (Hooing he's right on coaching.)

Though the calendar says Halloween, the NHL calendar is in early August were this a normal year.  Adams has at least a month to get a goalie deal worked out before we're into just the 'teams have to get cap compliant, we have to do SOMETHING' mode.

As to your other point about Ullmark being the presumptive starter.  Until he EARNS that distinction hoping & expecting it isn't written in anything more than pencil.  Whomever is in camp with him will get the chance to take that role & may the better goalie win.  Ryan Miller won the battle w/ Biron & Noronnen, he stole it from Marty & didn't let Mika steal it from him.

55 minutes ago, Taro T said:

You have given a lot of material to digest. I'll address only two of them. With respect to Hall I'm not sure the organization believed that it was in the running for him. Hall made it well known that he wanted to go to a competitive team. Colorado was on his radar but they didn't offer enough money to entice him to go there. The Sabres offered more money on a one year deal than anyone else and the one year deal allowed him to maintain his UFA status after the year. And another selling point is that he had a relationship with Krueger which sealed the deal. The combination of money and Krueger worked in our favor. I'm not sure that Adams/Krueger expected to end up with Hall but as you noted they seemed to have fallback positions to address bringing in a top two line winger. They ended up with a premier top first line player. 

I believe that the organization was considering goalie upgrades with the expectation that Ullmark was going to be the starter. It just hasn't worked out for money and asset exchange reasons. I don't know how this issue is going to be addressed but I'm starting to think that when the season starts Ullmark/Hutton will be our tandem when training camp starts. As I said before we just have to wait and see. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.