AHL Possible Start Date February 5th

Brawndo

There is going to have to be some sort of minor league.  The teams are paying these players and need players to recall for injury or illness. They are also going to need kids to develop somewhere especially if the CHL doesn't play .  They also can’t just simply loan all their AHL players around the world.  Whether it’s an official league or an alternative training site (like baseball), they have to have something.

1 hour ago, irregularly irregular said:

Sounds like AHL training camp starts when the NHL season starts. Teams will likely need to have A and B teams during NHL camp, much like baseball does early in camp. Otherwise there won't be enough ice and instruction for everyone to get the work they need. 

That's my guess.

And starting the AHL season a month after the NHL season gives teams an opportunity to try to copy NHL best practices once they all have an idea of what those will actually be.

50 minutes ago, Taro T said:

That's my guess.

And starting the AHL season a month after the NHL season gives teams an opportunity to try to copy NHL best practices once they all have an idea of what those will actually be.

Except like @inkman said, there likely won’t be any AHL season without fans to sell undercooked soft pretzels to. 

Maybe the NHL can scrape by without fans, but I highly doubt that’s the case for the AHL.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Andrew Amerk said:

Except like @inkman said, there likely won’t be any AHL season without fans to sell undercooked soft pretzels to. 

Maybe the NHL can scrape by without fans, but I highly doubt that’s the case for the AHL.

Well, they have 3 months to figure something out.  Curious how many AHL teams are owned by the parent club like the Amerks are.  Depending upon how many are owned by the parent clubs, there's a few options to make this become viable.  Not the least of which is expanded customers to AHL.tv.

The NHL clubs have huge issues if there is no AHL this year.    They'll find a way to make this happen.

9 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Well, they have 3 months to figure something out.  Curious how many AHL teams are owned by the parent club like the Amerks are.  Depending upon how many are owned by the parent clubs, there's a few options to make this become viable.  Not the least of which is expanded customers to AHL.tv.

The NHL clubs have huge issues if there is no AHL this year.    They'll find a way to make this happen.

If the NHL gets creative and does their bubble divisions and has the AHL affiliates play right before their NHL clubs do as a televised doubleheader, that might draw some interest. 

It's not ticket sales and concessions for the AHL clubs, but it's advertising and minimal overhead 

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, Andrew Amerk said:

If the NHL gets creative and does their bubble divisions and has the AHL affiliates play right before their NHL clubs do as a televised doubleheader, that might draw some interest.

It's not ticket sales and concessions for the AHL clubs, but it's advertising and minimal overhead

Precisely.

Just now, Andrew Amerk said:

Nothing wrong with this model. Keeps the AHL players playing. 

Hoping for a chance of fans is looking like a pipe dream. 

Really not convinced of that.  Could see in the late spring when things are looking good that fans can start to attend again.  How many would actually be comfortable with attending an indoor event remains a question, but can really see this whole lockdown eventually ending.

• 2 months later...
On 10/28/2020 at 8:52 PM, Andrew Amerk said:

This!  Unless the NHL owners are willing to absorb the losses of their AHL affiliates playing in empty arena’s, I can’t see a way there will be an AHL season.  

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Sabres also might have to find a home for Quinn and Rochester would be an option with no OHL.

Unless I'm missing something. 

Adams told the Instigators that’s something they are waiting clarification on whether it would be allowed.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.