VO trade value?

GASabresIUFAN

3 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I don't think there's any doubt EIchel Hall Reinhart would be the best line the Sabres could possibly put together. If Jack and Taylor have chemistry, I suspect it might be the best line in the NHL.

The thing is, Eichel Hall and Olofsson should also be an elite line, but I suspect Staal, Skinner and Olofsson would not be the sum of its parts.

It's a question of if the benefits of Sam on the first line outweigh the benefits of him on the second.

To put numbers on it:

Hall Eichel Reinhart = 100

Hall Eichel Olofsson = 90

Skinner Staal Reinhart = 80

Skinner Staal Olofsson = 55

Just my opinion of course. It will be interesting to see what Ralph tries, what he settles with and what works.

Half our forwards (Hall, Staal, Eakin, Thompson, Cozens, Reider) will be new this year.

I think your Skinner Staal Reinhart number is low. I actually think all your numbers are a little low.

9 hours ago, dudacek said:

I don't think there's any doubt EIchel Hall Reinhart would be the best line the Sabres could possibly put together. If Jack and Taylor have chemistry, I suspect it might be the best line in the NHL.

The thing is, Eichel Hall and Olofsson should also be an elite line, but I suspect Staal, Skinner and Olofsson would not be the sum of its parts.

It's a question of if the benefits of Sam on the first line outweigh the benefits of him on the second.

To put numbers on it:

Hall Eichel Reinhart = 100

Hall Eichel Olofsson = 90

Skinner Staal Reinhart = 80

Skinner Staal Olofsson = 55

Just my opinion of course. It will be interesting to see what Ralph tries, what he settles with and what works.

Half our forwards (Hall, Staal, Eakin, Thompson, Cozens, Reider) will be new this year.

The one player I will be keying on is Skinner. If he can get on track with Staal as his center and whoever is designated as the opposite winger it would provide a major offensive boost. The one concern I have is that I got the impression that Skinner is not a Krueger guy. The only time I saw Krueger get testy is when he was asked about Skinner and why he wasn't playing on the Jack line. Krueger is a coach who demands responsible end to end play. And Skinner has a tendency at times to float. And that is a tendency that the coach is intolerant of. There needs to be more accommodation between the player and coach.   

If Skinner can return to his goal scoring form (30 goals) this team will be elevated. He's simply too good of a shooter to not fully utilize. 

43 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Skinner had a historically low sh% for him last year. 7.7 is the worst of his career and he created decent shot metrics still. I don't worry about Skinner regressing positively. 

If he gets back to his standard and is able to do it on a second line without Jack then I would be ecstatic. He had plenty of scoring opportunities last year but he seemed to repeatedly hit the pipes or miss the the gaping holes that were staring him in the face. The more he missed the more frustrated he got and pressed even more. Hitting on some of those opportunities will help loosen him up more. With him we need more bang for the $$$$$! 

• Like (+1) 1

I'm not sure who will end up on what lines, but it's sure nice to have these kinds of problems.  Dare I say that if (and a BIG if) Thompson and Middlestadt show a lot of progress in their development, the Sabres could have a surplus of forward talent?  Even if one of them plays well, the talent looks pretty good.  If neither of them do, there is still enough talent on the roster to field a competent NHL slate of forward lines.

And I forgot to mention Couzens...And one more parting thought: does this thread mention anywhere that VO was signed?  if so, I missed it.  This thread was supposed to be about VO (and his trade value), but I didn't see any mention of him signing, which was reported on WGR web site this AM.  2 years, $6.1 M.  Seems reasonable and fair for a 20-goal scorer, who may have had quite a few more if he hadn't been sidelined by injury.

1 hour ago, msw2112 said:

And I forgot to mention Couzens...And one more parting thought: does this thread mention anywhere that VO was signed?  if so, I missed it.  This thread was supposed to be about VO (and his trade value), but I didn't see any mention of him signing, which was reported on WGR web site this AM.  2 years, $6.1 M.  Seems reasonable and fair for a 20-goal scorer, who may have had quite a few more if he hadn't been sidelined by injury.

There's a separate thread for his signing his contract.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.