Reinhart signed, 1 year, $5.2 Million

tom webster

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

Because this isn't a thing. Reinhart and Eichel score multiple goals a year. Hall as well. They aren't just playmakers and they all have good shots, Eichel an excellent one. All 3 can create or pull the trigger. Personally I would put Skinner with Eichel if we are moving things and put Hall with Staal. Considering how good Reinhart is at sliding into open space and getting quick shots off, he would do great with Hall and Reinhart has a far more diverse game than Olofsson. 

Sure they will but it doesn't have to be that way. Also, I would put Olofsson on the 3rd line and Cozens with Staal and Skinner. Fun fact btw, Reinhart has a better shot percentage for his career than Skinner. 

So, on day 1, you're forcing Cozens onto the 2nd scoring line?  That makes no sense as he hasn't earned anything yet.

You also are putting a true finisher onto a line w/ Eakin & ???.  Did Skinner playing on an island not resonate?

Olofsson will start the year in the top 6.  Rather than saddle Staal w/ 2 finishers, split those 2 up and have 1 on each line.  The whole will be better for it.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Taro T said:

So, on day 1, you're forcing Cozens onto the 2nd scoring line?  That makes no sense as he hasn't earned anything yet.

You also are putting a true finisher onto a line w/ Eakin & ???.  Did Skinner playing on an island not resonate?

Olofsson will start the year in the top 6.  Rather than saddle Staal w/ 2 finishers, split those 2 up and have 1 on each line.  The whole will be better for it.

No, I am assuming that Cozens makes the team. If not Olofsson takes that spot. Skinner isn't just a scorer, he actually is a disruptive shooter more than a sniper. If Olofsson can't collect rebounds and make shots, idk what to say. Staal can do it all for the most part. 

There is this belief that Skinner is just a finisher, Olofsson is but Skinner is a disruptive shoot first player. I think there is a difference. Skinner can pass and can do a lot more. Olofsson on that line IMPO works. Helps Olofsson play on a line against lesser competition which he needs. 

4 minutes ago, MODO Hockey said:

There is a reason why Sam was removed from Jacks wing, and i think it was a good thing to be honest. Then again i've never been a real fan of Sam so maybe its my dislike of him that touches my common sense, but i am not alone on this part when it comes to how our setup should look like.

This is how the lines should look like imo

When was Sam removed from Jack's wing?

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

No, I am assuming that Cozens makes the team. If not Olofsson takes that spot. Skinner isn't just a scorer, he actually is a disruptive shooter more than a sniper. If Olofsson can't collect rebounds and make shots, idk what to say. Staal can do it all for the most part. 

There is this belief that Skinner is just a finisher, Olofsson is but Skinner is a disruptive shoot first player. I think there is a difference. Skinner can pass and can do a lot more. Olofsson on that line IMPO works. Helps Olofsson play on a line against lesser competition which he needs. 

When was Sam removed from Jack's wing?

Skinner passes at a 3rd liner level.  And is bad in his own end.

Skinner is excellent at stealing the puck from opponents bringing the puck out of their zone.  Which is itself disruptive.  If he could then actually feed a teammate he might be worth the $9MM he gets.

And after Olofsson finally scored at ES, he was good at it until getting injured.  Yes, only looking at that time frame parses to a small sample size, but it's not like he never showed anything at ES.  Am expecting he has a breakout year if/ when he plays w/ Hall & Eichel.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

The real question isn't Reinhart for me, it is olofsson who I think this board overrates especially at 5v5. 

That's weird. I've been starting to think the board began underrating him as soon as Sabres twitter started making his 5-on-5 play a thing.

He won't make many puck retrievals and he can be overpowered, but he's not some Conor Sheary out there away from the PP. Victor works hard, skates well and plays smart.

He's a finisher and a very good one. Sure he needs to be with a playmaker to maximize his talents, but the same is true for most top six wingers and it minimizes the fact that his finishing is something that maximizes the talent of whatever playmaker he's with.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, dudacek said:

That's weird. I've been starting to think the board began underrating him as soon as Sabres twitter started making his 5-on-5 play a thing.

He won't make many puck retrievals and he can be overpowered, but he's not some Conor Sheary out there away from the PP. Victor works hard, skates well and plays smart.

He's a finisher and a very good one. Sure he needs to be with a playmaker to maximize his talents, but the same is true for most top six wingers and it minimizes the fact that his finishing is something that maximizes the talent of whatever playmaker he's with.

Didn't say connor sheary but Olofsson has limits that Reinhart does not. I honestly don't care if Olofsson plays with Eichel and Hall and Reinhart gets bumped to the 2nd line. I think my issue rests with the idea that it has to happen or that Reinhart isn't good. 

23 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Didn't say connor sheary but Olofsson has limits that Reinhart does not. I honestly don't care if Olofsson plays with Eichel and Hall and Reinhart gets bumped to the 2nd line. I think my issue rests with the idea that it has to happen or that Reinhart isn't good. 

Reinhart is a better player than Victor, at least right now (sorry @MODO Hockey, but it's true), but that doesn't mean playing him with Jack is (or is not) the best thing for the team.

Personally, I'm loving the idea that we now have four wingers who can play on the first line. And those that don't have to "settle" for Eric Staal.

Throw Tage and Cozens into the mix and I am genuinely excited about our offensive chances when Jack is not on the ice for the first time in 10 years.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MODO Hockey said:

There is a reason why Sam was removed from Jacks wing, and i think it was a good thing to be honest. Then again i've never been a real fan of Sam so maybe its my dislike of him that touches my common sense, but i am not alone on this part when it comes to how our setup should look like.

image.thumb.png.73eea656a535c35388e0257752590f89.png

I like that this has Hall wearing the #4.

I think it would be better overall to swap Cozens and Reinhart.

30 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Reinhart is a better player than Victor, at least right now (sorry @MODO Hockey, but it's true), but that doesn't mean playing him with Jack is (or is not) the best thing for the team.

Personally, I'm loving the idea that we now have four wingers who can play on the first line. And those that don't have to "settle" for Eric Staal.

Throw Tage and Cozens into the mix and I am genuinely excited about our offensive chances when Jack is not on the ice for the first time in 10 years.

As far as the line combinations go I have preferences just like everyone else but I'm not worried how they shake out. That's what training camp and preseason games are to determine. Right now it appears that Hall and Jack will be playing together and probably Reinhart. The key player in my mind regarding the makeup of the top two lines and most notably on the second line is Skinner. For me one of the keys to success this season is putting Skinner in a position to succeed. If he can regain his scoring form then our offense will take a quantum leap forward. 

I'm not worried about Cozens, Tage or Olofsson's roles are or what lines they will be placed on. Including Cozens each of they players will demonstrate what they can or not handle and accordingly they will earn their positions and roles. It seems you are determined to protect Cozens and not give him too much responsibility. The model to follow for Cozens is the Chicago approach on how they handled Kirby Dach. They started him off on the wing with limited playing time and as the season advanced he moved up on his ice time and assignment.

In every training camp there are unsuspecting surprises where a player/s play above or below expectation. My guess is Tage can be on the positive side and establish himself as a player ready to go. This is going to be a fun camp. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Big Brother Lol GIF by MOODMAN

There is no chance in hell that Sam Reinhart gets exposed in the expansion draft. He could be traded, sure, but exposed and lost for nothing... no chance in hell. He's still the 3rd best forward on this team, maybe 4th but LOL to him being exposed. 

Yea, that's right, I think Reinhart is better than Skinner and probably Staal. Eichel, Hall, Reinhart/Staal, Skinner. 

You'll love this Seattle Mock Expansion Draft 

https://krakenchronicle.com/2020/10/24/seattle-kraken-jack-eichel-featured-expansion-mock-draft-2-0/0/

18 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Eichel, Barzal, Parayko, Slavvin, Provorov, Brady Tkachuk...?

Maybe I'm going to have rethink my position on legalization?

I'm not sure this mock drafter understands how the capfriendly mock simulator works. See... you check the boxes of the players the team is going to protect. The target is less than two centimeters wide. It's a small thermal checkbox right next to the player's name.

That said, I had hearty evil laugh.

It's impossible, even for a computer Kraken fan!   Edit: You know who you're getting, Seattle? Okposo and a pick. Or Rasmus Asplund. It's your choice, but I warn you not to underestimate my ability to select a checkbox.

Edited by DarthEbriate
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

I know you're not equating them, but I just want to stress Cozens and Tage are world's apart. Cozens will be playing with Staal, he will go to the net, he will impress quickly, and he will be far far better than Reinhart on that wing. He will also transition to Staal's spot in a year or two and be a dominant player. Mark my words.

Tage? Third line at best, maybe for the Kraken. Just not impressed. 

21 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I know you're not equating them, but I just want to stress Cozens and Tage are world's apart. Cozens will be playing with Staal, he will go to the net, he will impress quickly, and he will be far far better than Reinhart on that wing. He will also transition to Staal's spot in a year or two and be a dominant player. Mark my words.

Tage? Third line at best, maybe for the Kraken. Just not impressed. 

I think they will be closer this year than you expect, simply because Tage is a 230-pound man. Dylan is a 185-pound boy.

I suspect Dylan will have a rookie season that statistically falls somewhere between Mittelstadt’s and Reinhart’s, but he will have more supporters than each because of his style.

Long-term, Dylan is a much better prospect. This year, I’m just hoping that as a pair they are better than Vesey and Sheary. I suspect they will be.

20 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I think they will be closer this year than you expect, simply because Tage is a 230-pound man. Dylan is a 185-pound boy.

I suspect Dylan will have a rookie season that statistically falls somewhere between Mittelstadt’s and Reinhart’s, but he will have more supporters than each because of his style.

Long-term, Dylan is a much better prospect. This year, I’m just hoping that as a pair they are better than Vesey and Sheary. I suspect they will be.

Is Tage really up to 230? If so, and if he ever starts to actually use his size he might be good, but he needs to start using it. 

Cozens might be a "boy" but he's a lot feistier and gives you a little snarl. he has some similarities to Jake Virtanen, but with even more skill. What was Reinhart when he first started playing for us? He's not much heavier than Cozens now I think. Cozens will get bigger in time, but I think he will be big enough now. 

18 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Is Tage really up to 230? If so, and if he ever starts to actually use his size he might be good, but he needs to start using it. 

Cozens might be a "boy" but he's a lot feistier and gives you a little snarl. he has some similarities to Jake Virtanen, but with even more skill. What was Reinhart when he first started playing for us? He's not much heavier than Cozens now I think. Cozens will get bigger in time, but I think he will be big enough now. 

According to this Buffalo News article from May he was at 225 and planning to add more.

https://buffalonews.com/sports/sabres/sabres-prospect-tage-thompson-feeling-good-while-rehabbing-from-surgery/article_e49e95a2-921b-5ce9-98eb-aa90bb362538.html

To be clear on Dylan, I don’t think his current size will lead him to struggle at an NHL level, but I do think he will be able to play his power game a lot more effectively at 210 or whatever he settles in at as a man.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

For all the hand ringing about playing Reinhart with Eichel/Hall wouldn't you want that? Sam is already trending towards a 60-65 point player and he makes Eichel better and vice versus according to the stats, why wouldn't you want them together? If it is because Sam might hit 75 or 80 points and get a bigger deal... so what? Did it help your team make the playoffs or win a round? Totally worth it. 

8 hours ago, Taro T said:

Why would you put 3 playmakers on a single line leaving 2 finishers on Staal's line?

Give Eichel & Hall Olofsson & put Reinhart w/ Staal & Skinner. 

Those 2 lines will  be harder to defend than having Sam & Vic swapped.  IMHO.

Yep. Reinhart helps Eichel, I think Hall - Eichel - Reinhart would probably be the best line we could assemble, but I suspect the drop off with VO on line 2 would be severe enough to make it a net loss. The top line loses a bit with VO, but it adds that pure shooter, keeping things better balanced like you say, and Reinhart actively makes the second line really good, I'd imagine. It'd be nice to rely on him for a little bit more. 

I suspect the plan is to give Hall - Eichel - VO the first chance, but things would be subject to change. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, dudacek said:

Dylan isn't 185 anymore. I'm trying to find the article but I think he's 197 now. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, MODO Hockey said:

image.thumb.png.73eea656a535c35388e0257752590f89.png

This makes a lot of sense because it puts Cozens next to Staal, which is exactly what RaKru said he wanted to do with the rookie while he learns the game at this level.  And then when he's ready to run his own line he slides down to 3C, Reinhart moves up, Eakin slides over, and they get decent matchups and sheltered minutes.  I can get on board with this.  

26 minutes ago, SHAAAUGHT!!! said:

This makes a lot of sense because it puts Cozens next to Staal, which is exactly what RaKru said he wanted to do with the rookie while he learns the game at this level.  And then when he's ready to run his own line he slides down to 3C, Reinhart moves up, Eakin slides over, and they get decent matchups and sheltered minutes.  I can get on board with this.  

Cozens next to Staal is ideal for Cozens and could be pretty good for Staal as well.

I liked Olofsson on the third line with Kahun and Johansson, but Thompson and Eakin are very different players.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Dylan isn't 185 anymore. I'm trying to find the article but I think he's 197 now. 

40 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I saw him listed at 211 lbs on one site and 215 lbs on other site. 

https://www.nhl.com/player/tage-thompson-8479420

They were discussing Cozens, not Thompson.  For the record though, I think Tage weighs even more than that now.  More like 225 by some accounts.

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, Curt said:

They were discussing Cozens, not Thompson.  For the record though, I think Tage weighs even more than that now.  More like 225 by some accounts.

Looking for a weight that holds weight. But not Doug. 

Interesting. 

Edited by Andrew Amerk

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.