Reinhart signed, 1 year, $5.2 Million

tom webster

9 hours ago, Curt said:

Also something to consider.  What if the top line is Hall-Eichel-Reinhart?  What if it’s awesome and they put up points like 85-100-75?  Sam would be setting himself up to get PAID in that scenario.

Sam may also just want to see how things go.  Maybe he doesn’t want to stick around if they continue to suck.  We talk about the worry that Eichel might demand out due to losing, but he isn’t the only one.

I would say...trade Eichel. (Not happening)

Sam increases production by 15pts, LW (Hall) increases by 20pts, yet Eichel only gets an extra 8pts? 

'18-'19 Skinner 63pts, Eichel 82pts, Sam 65

'19-'20 VO 64pts, Eichel 92pts, Sam 60pts. (pts/GM projections over 82gm season).

VO's production equalled Skinner's yet Sam's went down slightly and Jack had an uptick.

I can't see Jack's wingers adding 35pts and Jack only getting an 8pt bump. He's a bust, trade the bum.

14 minutes ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

I would say...trade Eichel. (Not happening)

Sam increases production by 15pts, LW (Hall) increases by 20pts, yet Eichel only gets an extra 8pts? 

'18-'19 Skinner 63pts, Eichel 82pts, Sam 65

'19-'20 VO 64pts, Eichel 92pts, Sam 60pts. (pts/GM projections over 82gm season).

VO's production equalled Skinner's yet Sam's went down slightly and Jack had an uptick.

I can't see Jack's wingers adding 35pts and Jack only getting an 8pt bump. He's a bust, trade the bum.

Oh, I forgot to mention, in this scenario Eichel missed 20 games.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, inkman said:

Yeah the great shot is confusing.  Not sure how the nerd came up with that but if that’s how analytics people determine a players abilities, yikes.   I love Sam. He does a lot of things we’ll. The one thing he absolutely is not elite at is shooting the puck.  He’s good.  Just not a characteristic I’d highlight when describing Sam. 

Yeah, would never say he has a "great shot."  But he is excellent at deflections and also good at putting away garbage sitting in tight on the crease.  Those both improve his shooting percentage.

5 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Yeah, would never say he has a "great shot."  But he is excellent at deflections and also good at putting away garbage sitting in tight on the crease.  Those both improve his shooting percentage.

Not to mention he’s the best passer on the team. Well, he was last season. I wonder if Staal or Hall are going to be as good or better.

27 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Not to mention he’s the best passer on the team. Well, he was last season. I wonder if Staal or Hall are going to be as good or better.

If you want to refine your statement to say he was the best passer not named Eichel or Dahlin, can accept that.  To claim he's better than either of those 2 would seem a bit hyperbolic.

• Like (+1) 3

9 minutes ago, Taro T said:

If you want to refine your statement to say he was the best passer not named Eichel or Dahlin, can accept that.  To claim he's better than either of those 2 would seem a bit hyperbolic.

I wouldn't say that he is a better passer than Eichel or Dahlin but I would be comfortable in saying that he is on par with them in a less dynamic way . Eichel and Dahlin can be dazzling passers but I won't say that either of them is more of an instinctive or subtle passer. In my opinion Dahlin has the most growth potential in that area. 

9 minutes ago, Taro T said:

I guess it’s a matter of opinion. I think he passes or more specifically sees the ice (for passes) better than either of them. Eichel is very close. Dahlin is nipping at Eichel’s heels. No skin off my nose if no one agrees.  🤷‍♂️

Another "prove it" contract.

2 outcomes.

Reinhart kills it. The Sabres do great and go deep into the playoffs. He gets 7 for 6.

He gets exposed to Seattle and gone, and the Tank is finally deemed a failure (Officially). 

I like it.

Edited by SwampD

2 hours ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

Depending on where that pick falls it might be worth it. 

Make the playoffs = worth it.

Edit: And Hall and Staal make making the playoffs very possible. We're better than DET, MTL, and FLA. Gotta start to see some Bruins decline with their aging core. And need to continue to split with the Leafs. We're still not on the same plane with Tampa on paper.

Edit edit: I forgot Ottawa. But... although I like their kids, I know they're not going to spend the money to support themselves. Hall-Eichel beats Ottawa's youth this year.

Edited by DarthEbriate

7 hours ago, Taro T said:

He is great with garbage goals, probably the best at that since Vanek for us.

9 hours ago, SwampD said:

Another "prove it" contract.

2 outcomes.

Reinhart kills it. The Sabres do great and go deep into the playoffs. He gets 7 for 6.

He gets exposed to Seattle and gone, and the Tank is finally deemed a failure (Officially). 

I like it.

Big Brother Lol GIF by MOODMAN

There is no chance in hell that Sam Reinhart gets exposed in the expansion draft. He could be traded, sure, but exposed and lost for nothing... no chance in hell. He's still the 3rd best forward on this team, maybe 4th but LOL to him being exposed. 

Yea, that's right, I think Reinhart is better than Skinner and probably Staal. Eichel, Hall, Reinhart/Staal, Skinner. 

• Like (+1) 1

For all the hand ringing about playing Reinhart with Eichel/Hall wouldn't you want that? Sam is already trending towards a 60-65 point player and he makes Eichel better and vice versus according to the stats, why wouldn't you want them together? If it is because Sam might hit 75 or 80 points and get a bigger deal... so what? Did it help your team make the playoffs or win a round? Totally worth it. 

• Like (+1) 3

13 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

For all the hand ringing about playing Reinhart with Eichel/Hall wouldn't you want that? Sam is already trending towards a 60-65 point player and he makes Eichel better and vice versus according to the stats, why wouldn't you want them together? If it is because Sam might hit 75 or 80 points and get a bigger deal... so what? Did it help your team make the playoffs or win a round? Totally worth it. 

Why would you put 3 playmakers on a single line leaving 2 finishers on Staal's line?

Give Eichel & Hall Olofsson & put Reinhart w/ Staal & Skinner. 

Those 2 lines will  be harder to defend than having Sam & Vic swapped.  IMHO.

• Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Looking at the chemistry between Jack and Victor makes me wonder why you would like Sam there (?)

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Why would you put 3 playmakers on a single line leaving 2 finishers on Staal's line?

Give Eichel & Hall Olofsson & put Reinhart w/ Staal & Skinner. 

Those 2 lines will  be harder to defend than having Sam & Vic swapped.  IMHO.

Because this isn't a thing. Reinhart and Eichel score multiple goals a year. Hall as well. They aren't just playmakers and they all have good shots, Eichel an excellent one. All 3 can create or pull the trigger. Personally I would put Skinner with Eichel if we are moving things and put Hall with Staal. Considering how good Reinhart is at sliding into open space and getting quick shots off, he would do great with Hall and Reinhart has a far more diverse game than Olofsson. 

Sure they will but it doesn't have to be that way. Also, I would put Olofsson on the 3rd line and Cozens with Staal and Skinner. Fun fact btw, Reinhart has a better shot percentage for his career than Skinner. 

4 minutes ago, MODO Hockey said:

Looking at the chemistry between Jack and Victor makes me wonder why you would like Sam there (?)

Because Sam has amazing chemistry with Eichel at 5v5. 16 of the 42 points Olofsson got were on the PP. Reinhart had 12 of 50 points on the pp and as discussed previously, Reinhart plays almost exclusively with Eichel. So if we want to talk about Chemistry, Eichel is better with Reinhart. 

13 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

For me, it's because I really like the idea of rolling three strong scoring lines.  The contract situation is secondary.

For the first time in a while, I think we have the talent up front to have a third line with a purpose rather than the hodgepodge of spare parts we've been rolling for years.  Vegas is the obvious model of how effective it can be if executed properly.  And I think putting Reinhart at 3RW is the key to his potentially working.  This obviously hinges on Cozens sticking alongside Staal on the second line.

The top line might not be quite as dominant with say Olofsson at 1RW, but I think he would add an interesting element there and they would do just fine.

Sam Reinhart is a better player than Victor Olofsson. Period, full stop. 

I would rather have him stick with Eichel and Hall to balance that line out than to handicap that line by giving them a more one dimensional player. 

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

Its really really low next offseason, I would do it.  Its the only thing I like when murray signed him.   A buyout last two years isn't a big deal.

It's still $1MM a year for 2 additional years (through 24-25).  If the pick isn't until selection 25 or later it may take a first next year with a flat cap.  

Edited by SHAAAUGHT!!!

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

Because this isn't a thing. Reinhart and Eichel score multiple goals a year. Hall as well. They aren't just playmakers and they all have good shots, Eichel an excellent one. All 3 can create or pull the trigger. Personally I would put Skinner with Eichel if we are moving things and put Hall with Staal. Considering how good Reinhart is at sliding into open space and getting quick shots off, he would do great with Hall and Reinhart has a far more diverse game than Olofsson. 

Sure they will but it doesn't have to be that way. Also, I would put Olofsson on the 3rd line and Cozens with Staal and Skinner. Fun fact btw, Reinhart has a better shot percentage for his career than Skinner. 

There is a reason why Sam was removed from Jacks wing, and i think it was a good thing to be honest. Then again i've never been a real fan of Sam so maybe its my dislike of him that touches my common sense, but i am not alone on this part when it comes to how our setup should look like.

This is how the lines should look like imo

image.thumb.png.73eea656a535c35388e0257752590f89.png

• Like (+1) 4

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.