Reinhart signed, 1 year, $5.2 Million

tom webster

6 hours ago, WildCard said:

That's twice they've listed Sam as a center 

I'm not sure how tight the social accounts are with the actual decision makers - probably as simple as them going to NHL.com and seeing Reinhart listed definitively as a C, there, and including it that way in the tweet. If I had to guess. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

We're talking about a 3 time consecutive 20 goal scorer who was on pace to have back to back 60 point seasons. I would have to guess that a 25g, 35a right wing who defends well and elevates his linemates is worth more than what he just got. 5.2 is about 1.5 mil less than I thought he would get. 

Interestingly, last season was the first Sam's production paced down compared to the previous year since coming into the league - a pretty impressive stretch. Paced for 59 points. 

4 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

This is a good take on the Zemgus deal — it’s clear that Krueger really values him. We’re hitched to RaKru for the foreseeable future, so finger crossed that he’s right about the Latvian Locomotive.

It doesn't answer the question of why we had to overpay to keep him. He could have had his man, and paid less. It was still a poor contract, I don't see the need to gloss over a perceived negative when Adams' record thus far looks pretty darn positive. 

4 hours ago, dudacek said:

Related, this deal is another huge one in the plus column for Adams, IMO.

The contract is considerably lower than anyone on here thought Sam was going to get. They retain his rights with a $5.2 million offer next summer and the door remains wide open for an extension if this season and the coming Dahlin and Hall negotiations show that is the right path.

And it’s easily tradeable if it’s not.

Jason Botterill is not running this team any more.

I don't think it's fair to judge this in totality until we see the results of next season, and what happens with all of the contracts, no? If Hall walks, and Sam elects for arbitration next year, things don't look as favorable. As mentioned, I like the deal and given the circumstances I think I would have done the same thing - but the reason these deals have largely made sense is because they seem part of a larger, cohesive vision - there are follow-up markers that will make these deals work, or not, in totality. 

I don't think the deal is considerably lower than what we thought, though - only in the sense we assumed it would be higher on a LT deal. 

Unlike the Botterill decision, I think a bridge makes a lot more sense here, as you alluded to. 

Edited by Thorny
Oh and I don't think he'll play with Jack - this is a good way to keep his totals and $ down

If I'm not mistaken, once he has his QO he has to be protected or left available for the XD.

As for center, Button commented a few weeks ago that he hasn't re-signed with the Sabres and the Jets should be interested as they need a 2C. Does he even watch the sport or what?

If the player files for arbitratioin and I am assuming he did, the team picks the term and I can't see the Sabres picking 2 years.

Smart move on Sam's part if you ask me. He loses a bit more than a million or so this season (reduced number of games anyway though) and has all the leverage next year. It will be pay me or I am gone at the end of the season. 

Maybe they just decided on not going to arbitration (if true, smart move if you ask me) and would work on a proper deal with time and patience on their side. 5.2m is quite low if you ask me but like I said, this moves the leverage over to the player.

10 minutes ago, Ducky said:

If I'm not mistaken, once he has his QO he has to be protected or left available for the XD.

As for center, Button commented a few weeks ago that he hasn't re-signed with the Sabres and the Jets should be interested as they need a 2C. Does he even watch the sport or what?

If the player files for arbitratioin and I am assuming he did, the team picks the term and I can't see the Sabres picking 2 years.

Smart move on Sam's part if you ask me. He loses a bit more than a million or so this season (reduced number of games anyway though) and has all the leverage next year. It will be pay me or I am gone at the end of the season. 

Maybe they just decided on not going to arbitration (if true, smart move if you ask me) and would work on a proper deal with time and patience on their side. 5.2m is quite low if you ask me but like I said, this moves the leverage over to the player.

I think this is spot on. People are questioning what's in it from Sam's point of view but I see quite a bit - if he wants to get to market in two years he easily can, getting paid handsomely in between - the key being I don't think he'd be afraid to pass up that LT security next offseason, him being a picture of health throughout his career. 

He'll have a quite a bit of leverage next summer. 

Both sides did well here if the goal was keeping options open. To me it's a great strategy for Buffalo, too, because we are mapping out a future where several exciting (and viable) long term options remain available, but at the same time the strategy is inclusive of a season next year, finally, where we have the pieces and the mentality to make a run at it. 

I think that's the most important thing - they've seemingly keyed in on a strategy that prioritizes both short-term and long-term aims. Haven't seen that in a good long while. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

With the signing of Reinhart we have at least five players who are genuine top two line players. There are those who argue that Reinhart should/could be centering a third line in order to upgrade that lower line and better balance out the lines. That doesn't seem to me to be the best approach to take. Instead, the smarter approach to take is put your top six players on the top two lines. My preference is for Sam to be on the Jack line because they already have good chemistry, and with the addition of Hall it should be even more of a potent line. 

The addition of Staal and Hall not only builds up the top two lines but it allows for other players to start off on the lower lines and work their way up the ranks. It wouldn't be surprising if one of the trio of Cozens, Tage and Olofsson finishes trading camp by earning a spot on the second line. But that still means that with the addition of Eakins that a credible third line can be constructed that improves the secondary scoring for this team. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, nfreeman said:

I generally agree with the exception of the Zemgus contract, which continues to be nuts.

That one is high for who he is isn't it? I suspect they knew they were losing Larsson and wanted to make sure they didn't lose both, but still, he seems overpaid. He needs to earn it.

The Reinhart number is a good one. The one year, as others have said, reflects the climate and league uncertainty and also the question of (maybe) next year who do you want more him or Hall and maybe you can't pay both. 

Free agency next year is going to be crazy.

49 minutes ago, Ducky said:

Does he though? Given this climate, where was he going to get more than this?

Also, if they load up the top line with both Hall and Reinhart, their point totals will be through the roof and we won't keep both. If Reinhart is in the top 6, I'd play him with Staal and Skinner and let him be the best player on that line. VO probably needs Jack to be maximized right now anyways - would probably be our most dangerous set-up. 

Vegas has had much more success than us though, and much more success than most teams recently, and they run the balanced set-up with Pacioretty driving line 3. If we can get away with doing that, we should probably do it - may get away with keeping Reinhart long term that way. In order for that to work, we'd need Cozens or Thomson to show themselves capable of holding down top 6 duty. 

We'd be in really good shape if that happens, though. It could easily be a case of the line-up being best maximized that way because Cozens or Thompson could theoretically see little drop-off as purely complimentary players on a talented line compared to being asked to be focal points of a lower line. We may get the most juice out of Reinhart if we ask him to shoulder more of the burden. 

It just depends - the net drop from a complimentary top 6 Reino to a complimentary top 6 Cozens may be smaller than the gain of a third line Cozens to a line-carrying 3rd line Reinhart. It could show itself to be totally unfeasible right now, too - they'll have to figure it out. I also assume that, regardless, Hall - Eichel - Reinhart will be a "big line" we'd see them go to when down late or in dire need. 

Edited by Thorny
Just get a GD goalie so we can REALLY start getting excited. Please!
  • Like (+1) 2

This chart is like Pi's worst nightmare - there's no stand out elite skill but he's pretty darn good at pretty much everything. Just an all around unit. 

Cozens is "The Plan" and Reinhart is "The Unit". 

Edited by Thorny

7 hours ago, carpandean said:

This seems like a COVID-friendly contract, much like Hall's.  Finances suck right now.  Nobody knows when that will change.  Postpone longterm contract talks for a year, hoping there will be better information.

As for listing Sam as a center, that's a smart move for trade value down the road. "Despite playing on the wing in Buffalo, he's a natural center. We'll move him over to fill our desperate need for centers."  😁

What Sam is not is a natural top two line center. The Sabres had a desperate need for a second line center last year yet the staff decided not to play him there. Sam certainly has center traits such as intelligence and instincts. But he still can use those important traits as a winger on one of the top two lines. 

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Thorny said:

This chart is like Pi's worst nightmare - there's no stand out elite skill but he's pretty darn good at pretty much everything. Just an all around unit. 

I’m not pointing fingers, but There will always be fans who are blissfully ignorant in regards to Reinharts ability and skill. Or just refuse to believe anything other than what they want to believe. It’s a waste of time to attempt dialogue or debate. Sam has been getting better and better every year. As much as he benefits from playing with Eichel, Eichel or anyone he plays with benefits just as much. This is a very good contract for the Sabres. “Fair” would have been 6 mil. He left money on the table. No doubt.

So, let’s say that after this season, Sam and the Sabres end up going to arbitration.  Sam would be the one asking for it so Buffalo would select the term of 1 or 2 years, and would pick 2 of course.  Correct?

So realistically, Buffalo has contractual control over Sam for 3 more seasons.

EDIT:  Just realized that players with just one RFA season remaining can only get 1 yr arbitration deals.  So, never mind.

Edited by Curt

8 minutes ago, Curt said:

So, let’s say that after this season, Sam and the Sabres end up going to arbitration.  Sam would be the one asking for it so Buffalo would select the term of 1 or 2 years, and would pick 2 of course.  Correct?

So realistically, Buffalo has contractual control over Sam for 3 more seasons.

EDIT:  Just realized that players with just one RFA season remaining can only get 1 yr arbitration deals.  So, never mind.

Refer to your friendly neighborhood Taro: 

2 hours ago, Taro T said:

He only has 1 year of RFA status remaining, so his arbitrated contract will necessarily be a 1 year deal.   The team can't use arbitration to delay a player from becoming a UFA.

Edited by Thorny
Oops, guess you saw his post already. I'll leave it up as Taro's post answers the question for anyone reading the thread
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

"Two way winger with a great shot" lol, what a load of bull puckey.    Whatever u say "JFresh"..

Edited by pi2000

47 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

I’m not pointing fingers, but There will always be fans who are blissfully ignorant in regards to Reinharts ability and skill. Or just refuse to believe anything other than what they want to believe. It’s a waste of time to attempt dialogue or debate. Sam has been getting better and better every year. As much as he benefits from playing with Eichel, Eichel or anyone he plays with benefits just as much. This is a very good contract for the Sabres. “Fair” would have been 6 mil. He left money on the table. No doubt.

This is a fair deal for both sides... I've argued for 5.25-5.75 for Sam and he's at the low end, nice... Now go out and take another step forward this season. 

18 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

"Two way winger with a great shot" lol, what a load of bull puckey.    Whatever u say "JFresh"..

Yeah the great shot is confusing.  Not sure how the nerd came up with that but if that’s how analytics people determine a players abilities, yikes.   I love Sam. He does a lot of things we’ll. The one thing he absolutely is not elite at is shooting the puck.  He’s good.  Just not a characteristic I’d highlight when describing Sam. 

• Like (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, inkman said:

Yeah the great shot is confusing.  Not sure how the nerd came up with that but if that’s how analytics people determine a players abilities, yikes.   I love Sam. He does a lot of things we’ll. The one thing he absolutely is not elite at is shooting the puck.  He’s good.  Just not a characteristic I’d highlight when describing Sam. 

Yeah, that’s a weird thing to say.

Sam has a nice shooting percentage and probably shoots and scores a lot from high danger areas, so maybe that’s where it’s coming from?  But Sam in the actual act of shooting a puck is not great.  Though I will note that over the past few years his shot has gone from absolutely terrible to something like average.

Edited by Curt
  • Like (+1) 1

He had a couple absolute laser blasts, not asteroids, for goals last season. His shot has rounded into form the last couple years. While I would like one bigger/stronger winger in the top six to disrupt and go into corners, Reino works the boards nicely and he's also the only guy who consistently jumps into the fray no-questions-asked whenever someone runs Eichel.

10 hours ago, SHAAAUGHT!!! said:

Yeah, it will be interesting to hear why they settled on a 1 year deal.  It's a great deal for Buffalo and for Sam.  Gives the Sabres options going into contract negotiations after the season with Hall, Dahlin, Joker, Sam.  

So much cap space after next season and it should be easy to protect the players we want to protect for the expansion draft.

An Okposo buyout looks nice also 🙂

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.