Connolly and Kotalik

Eleven

Fun Fact.

I've worked in television for thirty years. I've been in very close contact with a lot of really famous people.

The only time I've ever been star struck?... a group of us walked in to Mothers and Connelly and Kotalik were sitting at a table near us.

What can I say. I really like hockey.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Fun Fact.

I've worked in television for thirty years. I've been in very close contact with a lot of really famous people.

The only time I've ever been star struck?... a group of us walked in to Mothers and Connelly and Kotalik were sitting at a table near us.

What can I say. I really like hockey.

LaFontaine came over to me and signed my hockey card in Winnipeg during pregame warm ups. The trainer handed my hat to Ted Nolan on the bench and he signed it. I shook Zach Bogosian's hand at the club. 

Meeting athletes is pretty special. More impressive talent. 

Edited by Thorny

It got a little dusty in here when I clicked the link and thought about 2005 to 2007.

The first Sabres game I ever took my son to was in 2005 vs the Islanders in Nassau Coliseum.  Connolly tied it up late on a gorgeous play and then Kotalik used what would become his signature shootout move (quick forehand-to-backhand pass and then burying it with the high backhand) to close it out.

That first season post lockout was unforgettable.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, nfreeman said:

It got a little dusty in here when I clicked the link and thought about 2005 to 2007.

The first Sabres game I ever took my son to was in 2005 vs the Islanders in Nassau Coliseum.  Connolly tied it up late on a gorgeous play and then Kotalik used what would become his signature shootout move (quick forehand-to-backhand pass and then burying it with the high backhand) to close it out.

That first season post lockout was unforgettable.

A few years back, I went to Nassau for a concert, and stayed at the adjacent Marriott. The Sabres were staying there the same night ahead of a game against the Isles the following night. 

It was Gooses bday, and half the team was partying in the hotel bar. I got to meet and talk and drink with a lot of them, and not once did I mention I was from WNY or a major Sabres fan. We just hung out and had regular conversations, and most of them were just regular, normal dudes. Enroth, in particular, was the most down to Earth and easiest to talk to out of all the players there. We ended up making plans to have breakfast together in the morning to talk more. Super nice dude. Derek Roy ended up sitting with us, and was the polar opposite. 

Edited by Andrew Amerk
  • Like (+1) 1

• 2 months later...

I rode in the elevator at the Rochester War Memorial with Andy Ristau a few days after he got jumped in pre-game warmups by the Hershey Bears. He missed quite a few games from being kicked in the head with skates. He had some serious black eyes. I asked him how he was doing, he said "I'm good". 

https://www.upi.com/Archives/1987/04/17/A-brawl-before-an-American-Hockey-League-game-that/6488545630400/

Anyone else remember this? 2 game suspensions for almost killing a guy. Ahh, the good ol days of hockey. 

Edited by Claude Balls

11 minutes ago, Claude Balls said:

I rode in the elevator at the Rochester War Memorial with Andy Ristau a few days after he got jumped in pre-game warmups by the Hershey Bears. He missed quite a few games from being kicked in the head with skates. He had some serious black eyes. I asked him how he was doing, he said "I'm good". 

https://www.upi.com/Archives/1987/04/17/A-brawl-before-an-American-Hockey-League-game-that/6488545630400/

Anyone else remember this? 2 game suspensions for almost killing a guy. Ahh, the good ol days of hockey. 

Pretty much ended Ristau's career, didn't it?  My fading recollection was that he quit training camp the following season.  Is that correct or did I misremember?

That was a really awful scene.  Almost killing a guy is accurate.

5 minutes ago, Weave said:

Pretty much ended Ristau's career, didn't it?  My fading recollection was that he quit training camp the following season.  Is that correct or did I misremember?

That was a really awful scene.  Almost killing a guy is accurate.

Yeah, I think that was pretty much the end for him. I believe it all stemmed from Ristau beating the crap out of Bears players all year. He absolutely destroyed Martinson, which was the last straw from what I remember. Best part of this video, no partition in the penalty box. Those poor door guys that had to work in there.

• Like (+1) 1

Interesting stories and cool memories.👍🏼

Speaking for me only, I don’t get giddy or put athletes on any kind of pedestal  when I meet them or run into them at a store, restaurant or wherever. I guess I just look at them as guys or women who play a game at a high level for a living. A profession of being an athlete. Same goes for people who pick music or acting as a career. And I’ve met plenty of all the above. I don’t own one autograph or photo with me standing next to any of the above. Now the Stanley cup, thats different haha, well that piece of hardware I have a few photos over the years 😂

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.