Casey Nelson re signs with Sabres One Year 700k

Brawndo

This makes sense for the franchise. He's a solid AHL guy, and is a needed veteran presence for all the kids in Rochester (with Irwin/Davidson, whichever goes down). If Montour or Risto is moved, or if Montour just plays the left side... any injuries and Casey would be competing with Borgen for the initial RHD callup.

And for Nelson, perhaps just the familiarity in unfamiliar times.

• Like (+1) 2

I foresee a defenseman going out in a trade and Borgen moving up to the big club. If he doesn't come up after a deal he will be the first AHL defenseman waiting in the wings to move up the ranks. As others have said Nelson is more of an AHL caliber player but if it is required he can play on a lower defense pairing and be respectable for a short stint. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, chloewoj said:

so surprised he didn't look elsewhere...nearly impossible for him to crack the lineup now. love the signing for rochester though, veteran leadership for the kids.

Maybe he did look elsewhere… Maybe the agent did call around… Maybe there was really no significant interest in his services… So he circled back around to the Sabres.

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Surprised with how buried he is on the Sabres chart he would come back. He has to know he'll be in Rochester. 

How buried is he?  At present, he's at worst in a battle for 9 on the depth chart.  We all expect at least 1 D-man out the door.  If nobody else is telling him he's definitely in the top 8, can believe there's a lot of places where he gets even less of a chance to play in the show.

It's a 1 year deal.  He didn't sign on to play here for the rest of his journeyman career; just 1 year.  Maybe he didn't want to have to find a new apartment w/ a lockdown going on.

Right

Handed

Defensemen 

Edit - Did anyone catch Irwin's comments about Buffalo being a good fit for him because usually if there's an imbalance on another team, it's the left side that's overcrowded, but in Buffalo it's the right side? So there's lots of opening for him here? Haha

Edited by Thorny

At least we won’t run out of D with NHL experience if we make a deep playoff run.

Casey is 28 and likely has a young family.  He may have decided to stay to avoid making huge life changes during all this uncertainty.  

I wonder If the AHL will base their teams in the parent city this season and do double header games against the opponents AHL team before the NHL.  So you’d see Marlins Vs Amerks before the Sabres Loafs game.  One could even be a matinee on weekends 

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

Do we know whether it's a 1-way vs 2-way contract?  i.e. does the $700K decrease by 90% if he's in Rochester?

If it's a 1-way contract, it's further evidence that the "TP is going to be a cheapskate from now on" notion from a couple of months ago is dead and buried.

2 hours ago, nfreeman said:

Do we know whether it's a 1-way vs 2-way contract?  i.e. does the $700K decrease by 90% if he's in Rochester?

If it's a 1-way contract, it's further evidence that the "TP is going to be a cheapskate from now on" notion from a couple of months ago is dead and buried.

2-way $160k if in the AHL.  According to cap friendly.

4 hours ago, nfreeman said:

I think we know enough now (Hall) to say Pegula probably just said something like - "If you are going to suck, you best do it for cheaper". And I honestly get it - a big part of the hilarity of how bad we've been is we did it while a cap team. It's pretty logical for him to say, look, by all means pay for the top guys if you are sure, but we can fail to succeed for a hell of a lot cheaper if that's how it's going to be. 

Pegula *wants* to believe his money is being well spent. I'm sure it took little convincing, if any, once Hall became a possibility. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.