2020-'21 Sabres Prospects

Taro T

10 hours ago, dudacek said:

Not from what I've seen today.

I mean I haven't been watching him as closely as Quinn and Cozens obviously, but he's not stood out.

Really, none of the 2020 picks have, not even Byfield.

It's true what they say about this being a 19-year-old tourney.

Along with Dach the other stud has been Bowen Byrum.

Sorry I was being snarky. I liked Jarvis but am not upset we didn't take him. 

Quinn I find fascinating. I bet as camp goes on we start to hear more and more from Quinn. 

Cuts apparently happening after Tuesday scrimmage.

They are going to send 12-15 players home to get the roster down closer to 30.

The way things stand after last night, I would be surprised if Quinn is among the cuts, but he's not so safe guys currently on the outside can't knock him out by outplaying him Tuesday.

Cozens remains at or near the top of the list and will be on the team.

8 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Guess he'll (Quinn) have to put up or go home. 

Cozens seems to be all centre so far.

Tomasino has been lighting it up on Dach's right side, but the right-side spots with Byfield and Cozens are still wide open, IMO. A spot is there for Jack to grab.

Edited by dudacek

Not sure how much weight the staff will put on points, but our guys stand up well:

Out of the 46 guys in camp, Cozens is tied for third in scoring with 3 points in a little over four periods.

Quinn is tied for 6th (and leading Team Red) with 2 points in two games. And he has not been feeding off a stud (hi Conor Zary), playing most of his shifts with fellow bubble guys Rees and Suzuki.

Bourque, Perfetti and Jarvis have a point each. Byfield, Krebs, Lapierre, Poulin and Wright have none.

Edited by dudacek

4 hours ago, nfreeman said:

Whoa.  If he can do that, @LGR4GM may need to start formulating his retraction.

Ahahaha.  

First, I've never said he's bad, I've stated others were better and defenders of Johnsons caliber are a dime a dozen. So there's no retraction when Robertson and Hoglander are doing what they are doing. 

Second, you really don't ever want to talk to me of all ppl about "retractions". You said it won't be that bad, that we just needed a cooling off period. That it will be fine under that man. 

It was that bad. Cooling off meant censorship. It wasn't fine. 

Third, I realize you're being playful but we probably will never rebuild to that level. I have a long memory. 

Edited by LGR4GM

Arttu! Where are you? At the top of the Liiga leaderboard.

Ruotsalainen's pace is is an outlier for scoring in Liiga. Over the past 5 seasons, the scoring leader has been right at 1 pt/game. This season, a handful of players are playing above that, but too far over it. And then there's R2 up over 1.4 pts/game. For an entire Liiga season that'd pace to 85 points, which would shock the typical 55-60 points that are sufficient to be in the scoring title race.

That said --- R2 has 9 PPG to double the closest contender, so he's no 5 on 5 dynamo. That said, said, his 3 SHG also are key considerations for making a Sabres squad in the bottom 6.

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

If the NHL decides to play a season it will but Cozens will probably miss camp. 

Probably, but at least he'll be in game condition.  That said, will that make it harder for him to make the team?  Without camp, can he carve out a role or will RK just insert him in the lineup when the World Jrs ends?

27 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Probably, but at least he'll be in game condition.  That said, will that make it harder for him to make the team?  Without camp, can he carve out a role or will RK just insert him in the lineup when the World Jrs ends?

Unless the 12 everyday F's are gelling like crazy in camp, Cozens is getting his (prorated) 9 game look-see with or w/out training camp.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

According to the Buffalo News Cozens is currently sitting at 200lbs so methinks he has a good shot of physically being able to make this team. 

Between Cozens development, Hall’s arrival and a likely Skinner rebound, a Dahlin third year jump and ___________ in goal, I don’t see how this team can’t contend in a shortened season.

7 minutes ago, tom webster said:

Between Cozens development, Hall’s arrival and a likely Skinner rebound, a Dahlin third year jump and ___________ in goal, I don’t see how this team can’t contend in a shortened season.

They contended the last two seasons for 1/2 the year.  Maybe a 60 game season is exactly what they need.

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, tom webster said:

You've mentioned the goaltending upgrade a few times now.  I'm very curious to see if this comes to fruition.  I actually have a quite a bit of faith in Ullmark but have zero faith in Hutton.  With a condensed season and possibly hub cities I can only imagine the number of back to backs and playing time the backup is going to get.

Do you still think an upgrade in goal is coming?  This team has to make the playoffs this coming year and that is by far the biggest question mark still outstanding IMO.

• Thanks (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, dudacek said:

If there is an upgrade in goal that doesn't create a hole elsewhere, the Sabres should be a playoff team.

we could trade either Miller, Risto, or Montour as a major piece in a deal for a goalie. That doesn't really hurt us in anyway as Borgen is still around and we already have 3 other NHL level rhd. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

we could trade either Miller, Risto, or Montour as a major piece in a deal for a goalie. That doesn't really hurt us in anyway as Borgen is still around and we already have 3 other NHL level rhd. 

Or they could just trade one(or two) of those three in a separate deal(s) to clear space and acquire the goalie from a team looking to dump salary.

Teams are waiting for a definitive answer on what shape the season will take. There will be wholesale player movement once it’s decided. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Strongly disagree with what seems to be a fairly popular opinion.

Plugging Borgen or Irwin into the lineup for Montour or Risto represents a major drop-off; they were our most-used D last year and play in all situations.

Edited by dudacek

8 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

And? Risto isn't that good. Montour might be okay but he would be playing his natural side again if we shipped out another RHD. Further it is more important to add a goalie than worrying about what happens if Montour gets nicked up and misses 5 games. Further further, I think Miller is underrated and can slide up if we did trade Montour or Risto. 

I know. We are all in a holding pattern until an official start date is announced. 

Risto is better than Miller in every facet of the game except breakouts, and better than Irwin and Borgen in every facet of the game.

And I don't understand how people can be scared of Olofsson on the 1st line, yet OK with Miller on the first pair.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

And? Risto isn't that good. Montour might be okay but he would be playing his natural side again if we shipped out another RHD. Further it is more important to add a goalie than worrying about what happens if Montour gets nicked up and misses 5 games. Further further, I think Miller is underrated and can slide up if we did trade Montour or Risto. 

I know. We are all in a holding pattern until an official start date is announced. 

It’s not just the start date, it’s the amount of flexibility the league might be willing to give the clubs with money in order to help clubs that would be better off not playing?  There has been talk of eliminating the salary cap and floor for this season, allowing teams to sign up to ten guys for a taxi squad and only counting salaries of top 23..... A team like Arizona, they are going to dump salary, but right now they are waiting because why give away assets to get rid of contracts if say Toronto is allowed to add pieces without salary constraints? Obviously the return for Arizona becomes much greater.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.