2020-'21 Sabres Prospects

Taro T

5 hours ago, In The Buff said:

Read this article on our Defensive Prospects earlier today & thought I'd share it in case any of you want to read it.

Goes into Borgen, Laaksonen & the bunch & has some not too rosy things to say about Johnson & Samuelsson.

Its more of a general "where are they now" type piece & doesn't get too analytical or data driven. Still thought some might find it interesting

https://thehockeywriters.com/sabres-defense-prospects-laaksonen-brysen-borgen/

I thought it a little strange that they highlight Borgen and some overeager 7th round pick, but kind of shade Samuelsson and Johnson a bit.

Johnson in particular I have quite a bit of hope for.  Great skater who uses it to play very solid defense.  Very good puck handler also who uses that to evade forecheck. Fiesty player.  6’1” but needs to fill out.  Played his entire freshman season at UM as an 18 yr old.

4 hours ago, Curt said:

I thought it a little strange that they highlight Borgen and some overeager 7th round pick, but kind of shade Samuelsson and Johnson a bit.

Johnson in particular I have quite a bit of hope for.  Great skater who uses it to play very solid defense.  Very good puck handler also who uses that to evade forecheck. Fiesty player.  6’1” but needs to fill out.  Played his entire freshman season at UM as an 18 yr old.

Who is Maxwell Marko and what are his qualifications to analyze the quality of the young hockey player?  The article is written like he has an agenda to slight the college kids.  Seriously, how do you write that Samuelsson has nothing left to prove in college, but no "hype" entering the AHL.  What does that even mean?  He has all the hype he needs as a former WJR C, USNTP player and high 2nd rd pick who just completed two very good seasons in college.  What was the writer expecting?  The next Rasmus Dahlin?  That's not his game and never was.

• Like (+1) 2

28 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Who is Maxwell Marko and what are his qualifications to analyze the quality of the young hockey player?  The article is written like he has an agenda to slight the college kids.  Seriously, how do you write that Samuelsson has nothing left to prove in college, but no "hype" entering the AHL.  What does that even mean?  He has all the hype he needs as a former WJR C, USNTP player and high 2nd rd pick who just completed two very good seasons in college.  What was the writer expecting?  The next Rasmus Dahlin?  That's not his game and never was.

I don’t think it’s an anti college player agenda.  He was pretty complimentary of Borgen and Bryson, two other college players.

You are right though, strangely written.  I find some of the articles from that site to be a little off sometimes.

1 hour ago, Curt said:

You are right though, strangely written.  I find some of the articles from that site to be a little off sometimes.

It would not surprise me if the writer has never seen the majority of those players he wrote about play a single game of hockey, or talked to any hockey people about them.

The Hockey Writers is a mom’s basement clickbait factory and the level of content varies wildly based on the talent of the individual writer, from the level of a well-informed poster on here to a callow fanboy regurgitating opinions found on Twitter. By and large they are not well-connected, well-resourced, or well-paid.

https://thehockeywriters.com/current-openings/

Edited by dudacek

22 hours ago, dudacek said:

I think you're missing mine: that he's not alone in that. Lots of players plateau and even regress before finding themselves.

True, I hope Mitts is one. 

It's unfair but I think of Dahlin this year. He regressed to start and then in the last 2 months you really started to see him turn a corner. I hope that he now turns it up even more. 

32 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

It's unfair but I think of Dahlin this year. He regressed to start and then in the last 2 months you really started to see him turn a corner. I hope that he now turns it up even more. 

It’s often repeated, but often true.  Development is not always linear.  Dahlin struggled and seemed uncomfortable at times playing under a new coach who was maybe requiring things of him that no one ever had before.  He then seemed to adjust and looked great towards year end.

Young players sometimes struggle when faced with new challenges, then adjust and overcome those challenges.  Some take longer to adjust than others, and some never really make the necessary adjustments.

I hope that they take it slow with Mitts from here on out and he is able to adjust.

47 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I think this is rather common and anecdotally has always been referred to as a “sophomore slump.” Your first year, you play on guts, instinct and talent. Then, as teams start to scout you, game plan around you, the ones that stick, the ones that excel, the ones that learn to dominate separate themselves from the ones who can’t. It’s easy to see with quarterbacks in football. With hockey it tends to be more subtle. Only people like yourself, with that scouting sense, tend to notice the difference.

9 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Usually, D men take longer to reach their peak. I would expect Dahlin to be at Hedman level or thereabouts around his 5th year. 

Mitts needs a reset and a new attitude. If he ever starts working and trying to improve, his natural talents might still be salvageable. 

10 hours ago, dudacek said:

It would not surprise me if the writer has never seen the majority of those players he wrote about play a single game of hockey, or talked to any hockey people about them.

The Hockey Writers is a mom’s basement clickbait factory and the level of content varies wildly based on the talent of the individual writer, from the level of a well-informed poster on here to a callow fanboy regurgitating opinions found on Twitter. By and large they are not well-connected, well-resourced, or well-paid.

https://thehockeywriters.com/current-openings/

Wait... we could be getting paid (minimally) to voice our opinions in much the manner we are now? But... in longer posts. Is it possible to learn such a power?

6 hours ago, Thorny said:

Checking in on my boy "low-ceiling Lundell"

LOL. That third goal. No skill at all involved there.

12 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

Wait... we could be getting paid (minimally) to voice our opinions in much the manner we are now? But... in longer posts. Is it possible to learn such a power?

Wait, SDS hasn’t sent you your...

Umm, never mind.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

We talk a lot about our prospects but lets look at a team many here probably wish we were, the Blackhawks. The Blackhawks are about to be bad for a bit. They don't draft well and they don't manage their cap well. 3 cups though so whatever. The point is looking at their drafting might make us feel a little better about ours. 

https://hockeyprospecting.com/2020/10/30/chicago-blackhawks-a-pattern-of-missed-opportunities-at-the-draft/

18 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

We talk a lot about our prospects but lets look at a team many here probably wish we were, the Blackhawks. The Blackhawks are about to be bad for a bit. They don't draft well and they don't manage their cap well. 3 cups though so whatever. The point is looking at their drafting might make us feel a little better about ours. 

https://hockeyprospecting.com/2020/10/30/chicago-blackhawks-a-pattern-of-missed-opportunities-at-the-draft/

I'll feel better with 3 cups and bragging rights re: drafting.

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

But that isn't the point. The point is looking at how another team has drafted in the last 5-7 years or so and seeing how we align. 

But you can't even realistically measure the differences for the first 3 (at least) of those 5-7 years.  What's the point?  Hey, we had a subjectively better pick of teenagers over the last few years than you did and we don't know if it improved us more than it improved you!

I don't get the excitement.

14 minutes ago, Weave said:

But you can't even realistically measure the differences for the first 3 (at least) of those 5-7 years.  What's the point?  Hey, we had a subjectively better pick of teenagers over the last few years than you did and we don't know if it improved us more than it improved you!

I don't get the excitement.

What? What excitement. 

This was a simple think about how another team has drafted and see what issues they have had. It was a matter of perspective. 

I am slowly starting to hate discussing prospects around here. 

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

I am slowly starting to hate discussing prospects around here. 

Don't do it to yourself, whether people agree with you or not, you're an awesome contributor to the site. Think positive, be strong, overcome your idiosyncrasies and continue to move forward. Don't be like some other contributors who got their peepees hurt and apparently left the site. 

• Like (+1) 4

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.