How can the Sabres upgrade in goal?

dudacek

Today’s Reinhart deal opens up goalie doors I didn’t think we had.

• Cap space according to capfriendly: $9.1 million
  • Estimated Ullmark/Olofsson contracts: +/- $7 million
  • Burying/buying out Hutton $1.1/$1.8 million

There is also the bonus/overage situation to consider, which I don’t believe is included in the above, but I understand can be put off until next year.

After the final deals are done, the Sabres could have between $2-4 million to absorb another contract. Raantta is 4.2, Kuemper 4.5 and Korpisalo $2.8. 

We are creeping into the ballpark.

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, dudacek said:

There is also the bonus/overage situation to consider, which I don’t believe is included in the above, but I understand can be put off until next year.

After the final deals are done, the Sabres could have between $2-4 million to absorb another contract. Raantta is 4.2, Kuemper 4.5 and Korpisalo $2.8. 

If we end up with ~4 mil, theoretically we could carry 22 players and save 700 000k on that 23rd man/3rd bench player. Potentially bridging the gap to a Kuemper like salary. 

Also, just get rid of Montour. 

Edited by Thorny

5 hours ago, dudacek said:

Either Risto or Montour will be gone creating plenty of space.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, tom webster said:

Either Risto or Montour will be gone creating plenty of space.

In a trade for/allowing for goalie?

Then that better be enough space for a decent LHD too.

This team will regret going into the season with Irwin, Borgen and Davidson as their 6/7/8 on D.

57 minutes ago, dudacek said:

This team will regret going into the season with Irwin, Borgen and Davidson as their 6/7/8 on D.

Not to diminish your point too much, because they do lack some truly proven depth there, but there is also Nelson and Bryson, and who knows maybe Pilut, as reasonable possibilities to play NHL games.

6 hours ago, dudacek said:

They might, but in my opinion they'd regret going into the season with Hutton as the backup, more. If they can upgrade in net without moving one of them, or while bringing in a replacement as well as a G, by all means. But even if not, and it's necessary to move one of them to secure the G upgrade, I'd pull the trigger. 

Edited by Thorny

16 hours ago, Thorny said:

Montour was 2nd among the D in ice time last year, which means RK likes him.  I don't think they are just going to dump him, including for cap space, without getting a reasonably solid asset in return -- either a goalie or an LHD.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Montour was 2nd among the D in ice time last year, which means RK likes him.  I don't think they are just going to dump him, including for cap space, without getting a reasonably solid asset in return -- either a goalie or an LHD.

I don't understand a statement like "dump Montour". He's a good defenseman. Why dump value?

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Well, dumping him for cap space can be a precursor to acquiring that goalie or LHD.  Goalie in particular because we need cap space to trade for one of Arizona's goalies.

That being said, I think the piece we move out is Miller, not Montour.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Radar said:

I don't understand a statement like "dump Montour". He's a good defenseman. Why dump value?

He's not meshing well with the fanbase demographic.

Analytics Twitter doesn't like him (although, oddly, they loved him early in his career in Anaheim), face-punching fans think he's a showboat, and certain Sabrespacers worry about their wives seeing too much of him. Plus, we must trade all right-handed defencemen. 😜

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, dudacek said:

Analytics Twitter doesn't like him (although, oddly, they loved him early in his career in Anaheim), face-punching fans think he's a showboat, and certain Sabrespacers worry about their wives seeing too much of him. Plus, we must trade all right-handed defencemen. 😜

Yet they somehow like Colin Miller.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

8 hours ago, nfreeman said:

Sweet. I'll start counting this as a positive thing when we have an idea of whether Ralph is a good hockey coach or not. 

8 hours ago, Radar said:

The idea is to use the space created to bring in a goalie. And he's not that good.

6 hours ago, dudacek said:

And he's not that good. If we need to sacrifice Montour to bring in a goalie roughly on par with Ullmark, it's a no-brainer. 

7 hours ago, Shootica said:

Well, dumping him for cap space can be a precursor to acquiring that goalie or LHD.  Goalie in particular because we need cap space to trade for one of Arizona's goalies.

That being said, I think the piece we move out is Miller, not Montour.

Yep. 

Edited by Thorny

4 hours ago, Thorny said:

Sweet. I'll start counting this as a positive thing when we have an idea of whether Ralph is a good hockey coach or not.

Snark notwithstanding, my point was that RK's affinity for him makes it less likely that they trade him unless there are real assets coming back.

Having said that, your point about cap space being a meaningful asset is valid.  I just don't think they will make that kind of deal with Montour.

1 hour ago, nfreeman said:

Snark notwithstanding, my point was that RK's affinity for him makes it less likely that they trade him unless there are real assets coming back.

Having said that, your point about cap space being a meaningful asset is valid.  I just don't think they will make that kind of deal with Montour.

That wasn't snark. 

As for the bold, I don't see why they wouldn't. He's one of the most likely candidates to be moved if we do indeed need to move someone to make space. If the space results in a player of equal or greater value to Montour, it would be a mistake for them to pass, IMO. If they aren't fans of the idea of converting Montour into a goalie in this way, I'd imagine they wouldn't be fans of moving him at all - that's not the sense I get, especially compared to someone like Risto. 

So that leaves Montour or Miller prob. 

Edited by Thorny

On 10/20/2020 at 9:04 AM, Pimlach said:

Of course you are joking but remember that Hasek could not wait to leave.  Why would anyone come back?  

Remember that Hasek forced the trade in an environment where the talking points from ownership was "we'll bring in the tools to finish the job" while leaving Peca on the shelf in a year they could've won it all w/ him or Iginla & then having Peca converted into a big steaming pile of the future at the next draft.  Hasek wanted to win & the Crooks couldn't afford the cash outlays to back up their words w/ actions.

Hasek still has the Hasek's Heros program running.  He doesn't hate Buffalo; he just hated the situation at the time.  Justifiably IMHO.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Remember that Hasek forced the trade in an environment where the talking points from ownership was "we'll bring in the tools to finish the job" while leaving Peca on the shelf in a year they could've won it all w/ him or Iginla & then having Peca converted into a big steaming pile of the future at the next draft.  Hasek wanted to win & the Crooks couldn't afford the cash outlays to back up their words w/ actions.

Hasek still has the Hasek's Heros program running.  He doesn't hate Buffalo; he just hated the situation at the time.  Justifiably IMHO.

Yes.  I concur with your assessment on Hasek.  

I think this season will be very interesting.  Could be the turn around we have been longing for.  I like what Adams is doing, let’s see how it translates on the ice.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Taro T said:

Had he not forced a trade that hurt the team the maximum amount I might just have a sliver of empathy for that ***** head.

• Thanks (+1) 1

Ullmark is killing them when they are shorthanded.  He was 65th in the NHL last year with a .838 save percentage when the team was shorthanded.  That is abysmal. This team is losing a lot of games because he is well below average at making saves on the penalty kills.

By comparison, Miller was .882 over his career at this and Lehner is at .894 over his career.

Edited by matter2003

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

Ullmark is killing them when they are shorthanded.  He was 65th in the NHL last year with a .838 save percentage when the team was shorthanded.  That is abysmal. This team is losing a lot of games because he is well below average at making saves on the penalty kills.

By comparison, Miller was .882 over his career at this and Lehner is at .894 over his career.

I wonder why.  Is this primarily an Ullmark issue, or is team play the bigger issue?  Are we giving up considerably more high danger chances than other teams on the PK?  Is he just bad at stopping one timers and other common PK shots?  I don't know the answers here, but I think it's hard to take penalty kill numbers at face value without going back and looking at the film.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Shootica said:

I wonder why.  Is this primarily an Ullmark issue, or is team play the bigger issue?  Are we giving up considerably more high danger chances than other teams on the PK?  Is he just bad at stopping one timers and other common PK shots?  I don't know the answers here, but I think it's hard to take penalty kill numbers at face value without going back and looking at the film.

If I'm remembering earlier posts here correctly, Ullmark and Hutton's inability to stop high-danger chances relative to the rest of the league was among the most alarming of the Sabres underlying stats last year.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

On 10/25/2020 at 5:16 PM, Thorny said:

If we end up with ~4 mil, theoretically we could carry 22 players and save 700 000k on that 23rd man/3rd bench player. Potentially bridging the gap to a Kuemper like salary. 

Get rid of Miller first as don't think Mountour be expansion eligible with him on a one year deal. 

10 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

Get rid of Miller first as don't think Mountour be expansion eligible with him on a one year deal. 

Montour won’t be expansion draft eligible because he will no longer be a Buffalo Sabre at the time of the expansion draft.  He will be an unrestricted free agent.  That’s no reason to prioritize keeping him.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.