Sabres sign C/RW Steven Fogarty, 1 year $700k

IKnowPhysics

Gotta say I've never heard of him.

Here's a scouting report from a Rangers fan site:

Considered a shutdown forward, Fogarty isn’t known for his offensive prowess but it caught the attention of Rangers General Manager Jeff Gorton, who handed the 26-year-old a call-up to the NHL on Nov. 19, 2018.

More known for his ability on the penalty kill and being able to disrupt the flow of the opposition, Fogarty wasn’t expected to be an offensive juggernaut during his time with the Rangers, rather a reliable stopgap whilst more notable figures came in and out of the lineup.

And it panned out that way with Fogarty sticking to his defensive assignments, but failing to register a point in ten games, posting a +/- rating of -1.

He averaged just 7:46 of ice time a game and put nine shots on goal, but he was a solid addition to the roster during his short stay in the big league and carried out the jobs asked of him.

Fogarty was sent back down to the AHL on Dec. 11, 2018 and finished the year in good form for the Wolf Pack, ending his season with 52 points (21 goals, 31 assists) in 66 games played for a Hartford team who finished rock bottom of the Atlantic Division.

As a result of that, Fogarty was rewarded with a new one-year deal at the trade deadline, and he remains a solid option for the Rangers if they are hit by injuries or need some grit in the bottom of the lineup.

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LabattBlue said:

Figures...more of the keep it in house, sign guys you know...good ole boys network. Excellent use of analytics!

He's an AHL guy. 

1 hour ago, Trettioåtta said:

Giving these 1 year $700k deals out like candy

Yea, that's league minimum. He's an AHL guy that if they want they could call up, he will probably never see the NHL. 

Have no issue w/ the signing.

The Amerks need to prevent goals as well.  Plus, gives them additional options to bring up a guy that can kill penalties should a Lazar or Reider get injured.  Good to have depth for all the roles that they might need to have injury coverage for.

Edited by Taro T
  • Like (+1) 1

https://therealfullhousereviewed.wordpress.com/2010/12/24/season-2-episode-19-blast-from-the-past/

This is pretty much the only other Fogarty I can think of

4 hours ago, Brawndo said:

He played for Notre Dame when Jason Nightengale was an Asst Coach there 

ehhhhhhhhhhh. I'm not a big fan of this particular trend/line of thinking (similar under Botterill) when it comes to both player acquisitions and staff hires, and the early draft data suggest a bias carrying over there as well, potentially. Maybe other teams too have a situation where there's a noticeable trend in a large portion of their hires, I don't know. As long as they don't stick to it as stringently as Botterill, I guess. That's the key. It's a depth signing, can't see anything wrong with this in a vaccum.

The depth signings have been pretty balanced, actually, I think, as far as I can remember. But they've certainly had a type when it comes to staff hires, and they didn't break the draft trend. Guess we'll see - doesn't matter as long as you win. 

Edited by Thorny

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.