NBC’s Doc Emrick is Retiring

Brawndo

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

One of the all-time greats. It's too bad he got hooked up with a network that wanted, for some reason, to routinely ignore the game. Doc was dragged down the talent around him. Rick nods in agreement.

And this describes the problem perfectly.  If you're going to hire a guy like Doc, why not let him do what he does best?  I hope that his replacement tells NBC where to stick it.  Possibly accompanied by a Daniel Briere spearing motion.

• Like (+1) 2

I can see why people would not like him.  He has a style and it might not set well with people.

I didn't dislike him. My experiences were via the NBC filter, so some of the items he discussed and how he discussed were certainly tainted by that.

He did a great job and excelled in his profession.  Can't go wrong there.

Doc Emerick is well-educated, well-versed, has outstanding broadcast skills, is undeniably objective, and is very likeable.

Do I like hearing him?  No.  But it's not his fault.

I'm spoiled by Rick.  I'd rather listen to Rick.  I cherish Rick and the time he has left with us.  The fact I am forced to listen to Doc and not allowed to listen to Rick is an artifact of the business that is hockey media: it's a byproduct of begrudgingly necessary media exclusivity deals in professional sports.  I understand it, but my logic and reason don't prevent me from being annoyed by this.  Not Doc's fault.

I'm also a much bigger fan of the radio-style play-by-play call (wherein the action is described between whistles and color commentary is reserved for stoppages in play) than the modern television-style conversational call (wherein background and stories and tales or yore are interjected directly into the play call and are not reserved for stoppages).  The radio-style that I love is the polar opposite of the style of team Doc/Eddie/Pierre.  Not Doc's fault.

Even more subjectively, Doc's voice is not a good voice.  Its nasal tone grates.  Not Doc's fault.

I believe Doc got as far as he did because he was a good regional broadcaster that graduated into being the sincere best of an extremely mediocre -and at times straight bad- national broadcast bunch that never received enough attention or investment into quality.  Not Doc's fault.

He's had a long, successful , award-winning career in broadcasting, which is itself something to be admired.

Edited by IKnowPhysics
  • Like (+1) 2

When he called the game, he was great,... when he called the game.

2 hours ago, chloewoj said:

i don't understand the people who hate him. when you think of recent magical playoff goals (not sabres playoff goals but whatever) he's the voice that is playing in your head over and over again. what a legend it sucks to see him go. 

We all just miss Gary Thorne’s golden pipes.

• Like (+1) 2

I was not a fan of Doc's, although I certainly didn't hate him.  He is quite knowledgeable and he loves the game.

I just have always felt that he talked too much (a habit he shared with a number of other sportscasters, like Mike Patrick and Mike Tirico).  If the sheer number of words had been reduced by 30% I would've been quite happy with him.

In any case, I hope he has a long, healthy and happy retirement.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, chloewoj said:

i don't understand the people who hate him. when you think of recent magical playoff goals (not sabres playoff goals but whatever) he's the voice that is playing in your head over and over again. what a legend it sucks to see him go. 

If his voice plays over in my head it's the worst kind of ear worm.  His play by play is like finger nails on a chalkboard to my ears.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

If his voice plays over in my head it's the worst kind of ear worm.  His play by play is like finger nails on a chalkboard to my ears.

His play by play was fine.  It was his going into players backstories during play that was maddening.

Prior to coming to NBC, he was excellent.  Kind of like how when not being paid to gobble Bah-stan knobs, Brickley is actually a good color man.  Can NOT listen to him on NESN.

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

His play by play was fine.  It was his going into players backstories during play that was maddening.

Prior to coming to NBC, he was excellent.  Kind of like how when not being paid to gobble Bah-stan knobs, Brickley is actually a good color man.  Can NOT listen to him on NESN.

“Now their equipment washer Doug used to work in Moosekatchetoon for the Beavers, who had a 13 year old Doug Weight on the team, who went on to play for the Rangers and it’s Dougs aunt Bettys 67th birthday tomorrow AND A SCORE!!!”

Meh. Good luck in retirement. No thanks. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.