Thoughts on picking up Ryan Miller

I-90 W

Even at 40 yo, TSN has him as the best goalie in FA. https://www.tsn.ca/mike-hoffman-no-1-among-tsn-s-top-remaining-free-agents-1.1538663?fbclid=IwAR32M2d7IiQOiHZt6KN4vjREM04klancYzh5Vska_C4fquNxlCY_g15k2bE

This could be a nice piece to backup Ullmark for the twilight of his career. Would love to see him finish here.

Last season he was 9-6-4 with 3.10 GAA and .907 SV%.

Not sure if he would play here though because of wanting to be close to home obviously, but would you make him an offer?

Edited by I-90 W

Just now, sabresouth said:

We don't need stretches of good goaltending, we need consistently good goaltending. It seemed last year that the team would just start to get going good and then the goaltending would fall apart. I hope Ullmark really steps up this year. But we still need a good backup.

Yeah I didn’t like RK’s comment there either. 

Better to let our memories of someone stay in the past. I wouldn't want my feelings about Ryan to be soiled by an off year at the very end, choking on shutouts, spitting out the bit in big games, whiffing on point shots, dramatically overreacting to goals against and calling out his teammates afterwards.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

this is the question you have to ask yourself...do you want a feel good moment or a playoff caliber team?? i think everyone is going to choose a playoff caliber team. ryan miller would only provide a feel good moment for sabres fans, he's not the goalie that will help linus ullmark and the rest of the team get to the playoffs. you wanna bring in a goalie that will make them a playoff team? antti raanta should be that guy. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

3 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Better to let our memories of someone stay in the past. I wouldn't want my feelings about Ryan to be soiled by an off year at the very end, choking on shutouts, spitting out the bit in big games, whiffing on point shots, dramatically overreacting to goals against and calling out his teammates afterwards.

Reminds me of Pommer’s return to Buffalo after a stint in Minnesota. Things weren’t the same as they were before.

Just MHO.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, bunomatic said:

The past is gone. Leave it go. This team is either living in the past or in the future. If we could get to a place where we are living in the moment we might actually get somewhere.

Exactly. I can’t wait for the friggin day where he retires so we no longer see his name being brought up into potential moves that could get him to come back to Buffalo. Especially because he absolutely positively will not sign with another team besides a West Coast team. So his name should be absolutely avoided from any kind of possible option to have him play goalie again for the Buffalo friggin Sabres. Bloody hell.

Rant over 😂

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, sabresouth said:

We don't need stretches of good goaltending, we need consistently good goaltending. It seemed last year that the team would just start to get going good and then the goaltending would fall apart. I hope Ullmark really steps up this year. But we still need a good backup.

Totally agree. Ralph's comments would be worrying except for...

7 hours ago, tom webster said:

The key words Ralph used were “at the moment.” They will add a goaltender.

Pretty much. It's an absolute necessity and we'd have to tar and feather Adams the same way we did Botterill for not upgrading the position, but I think it's coming. 

16 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

I think we see some action once the arbitration cases are settled. That way they will know how much cap space they and if they need to make further moves to free up space. 

File this post under thanks Captain Obvious 

It's a good point, though, Olofsson is the last one, early November I think?

8 minutes ago, sabresouth said:

I sure hope so

I really think they have to/will. 

You just can't sign Taylor Hall to a one year deal and go into the season (where greater workloads for the "backup" are expected, no less) with Hutton as one of your guys. It would just be colossally dumb. To go to the lengths they did to improve the forwards, for one year (Hall, Staal) for that all to be for naught due to the goaltending tandem would be sad and I just don't think it makes any sense. I can only assume they plan on bringing someone in and those way more in the know have alluded to as much.  

Hutton had a sub .900 sv% last year over 31 games. It can't be the set-up next year. 

(and his numbers were poor the year before, too, when he was supposedly healthy. 3.00 GAA, .908 sv% - so if they use the injury/eye excuse we are in trouble.)

Edited by Thorny

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.