All time favorite Sabre, and why?

I-90 W

Hasek. But those mid-2000s teams were when I really got into the team. Max was fun but frustrating like someone mentioned and Briere was always a favorite.

But i'll go Brian Campbell (hence the name). The smooth skating offensive defenseman who could also hit RJ Umberger so hard that he had no idea where he was..

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, fiftyone said:

Hasek. But those mid-2000s teams were when I really got into the team. Max was fun but frustrating like someone mentioned and Briere was always a favorite.

But i'll go Brian Campbell (hence the name). The smooth skating offensive defenseman who could also hit RJ Umberger so hard that he had no idea where he was..

Can never get enough of this video, talk about a caruba collision. 

8 hours ago, fiftyone said:

That hit was a little payback for the Clark bs with the '75 team

Good call on Campbell.  I remember seeing him at one of the Bills bars in Chicago after he signed with the Blackhawks.  I thought it was really cool that he wanted to hang out with Buffalo fans and support the Bills, even though he wasn't with the Sabres anymore.  He also developed in to a pretty good player....He had great skating ability and was a good offensive defenseman, but also got much better defensively later in his career.  And, of course, the hit on Umberger is one of the all-time greatest hits in Sabres history.

On 10/19/2020 at 8:44 AM, PASabreFan said:

Max. He was fast and fun. What hockey is supposed to be. I'm sure Analytics hates him though.

C'mon. Your absolute favourite? I call shenanigans.

On 10/19/2020 at 8:47 AM, miles said:

hasek. im surprised im the first to say it. he is the reason i started watching hockey

I have often explained to my kids when the topic comes up: Hasek was the greatest Sabre ever, full stop. But Perreault will always be my favourite Sabre. Always.

On 10/19/2020 at 12:17 PM, Weave said:

Mike Ramsey.

Nice choice, and great reasons.

On 10/19/2020 at 4:11 PM, Zamboni said:

70’s ... Perreault

80’s ... Andreychuk

90’s ... Hasek

2000’s ... Drury

2010’s ... Miller

This is a fun exercise. I think mine would be the same, except in the 80s I am probably going with Housley.

And, come to think of it, I am going with Lafontaine in the 90s.

I've always been a fan of extremely skilled scoring forwards. Alexander Mogilny, for all his flaws is my favorite Sabre.  I have been watching since 1992-93 time frame, but I always preferred Jagr, Lemieux, Pure and so on.  At the same time, Mogilny just oozed that talent.  In time that could be changed by someone like Eichel, Dahlin if they show the long term achievable success.

Edited by TheCerebral1

5 hours ago, TheCerebral1 said:

I've always been a fan of extremely skilled scoring forwards. Alexander Mogilny, for all his flaws is my favorite Sabre.  I have been watching since 1992-93 time frame, but I always preferred Jagr, Lemieux, Pure and so on.  At the same time, Mogilny just oozed that talent.  In time that could be changed by someone like Eichel, Dahlin if they show the long term achievable success.

Which would make for an interesting follow up question: 

Favorite current Sabre not named Eichel, Dahlin, or RJ...

Many favorites, but I'll add another name....Tom Barrasso.  Talented netminder plus brought an edge to his game that I felt was a nice addition to the team.  I liked having a Sabres goalie who could take care of business by himself in his crease.  I remember we used to call him "Billy" Barrasso....reminded me of a bigger and younger Billy Smith.

Hasek will always have a most special place for me.  He is the reason that I became a Sabres fan as a kid, in addition to being the best goalie ever.

Drury was a favorite because they were very good and he led them.  I felt that he was the heart of those teams.

Campbell was also a favorite.  Love defensemen who can skate with the puck.

If Dahlin becomes what I believe that he will, he may quickly end up my all time favorite.

It's really close between two players for me. The first one isn't really a surprise, but I loved Hasek. I started getting into the Sabres when I was in elementary school. Whenever I played street hockey with my friends I was always the goalie and pretended to be Hasek. I remember taking a magic marker and writing 39 on my pads, remember those ugly hard plastic brown Mylec brand street hockey pads? I had a 3 on one and 9 on the other. I wanted to play goalie on ice but we couldn't afford all the pads.

My other one is Matt Moulson. I know his time in Buffalo wasn't what we hoped it would be but I didn't like him for his play as much as the person he is. During Eichel's rookie year, I was stationed in the middle of nowhere Texas, about 4.5 hours west of Dallas. I met a few other Sabres fans stationed there as well. As soon as the schedule came out, we saw that the Sabres were playing in Dallas just before Thanksgiving on a Saturday night and decided to make a weekend out of it. About a month out from the game I sent a couple Tweets to  Moulson (he handled the tickets for military program for the Sabres) and I mentioned that four Air Force guys all from Buffalo are going to the game and we were hoping to get autographs. I told him that we aren't looking for anything for free, just a chance to get some autographs. He followed me back on Twitter and started direct messaging me. He asked if we needed tickets, I told him thanks but we already had tickets, then he said, "if you want better seats, let me know, i'll get you hooked up" we had ice level seats on the side the Sabres shot twice so we were happy with our tickets. On the afternoon of the game, he messaged me again and told that when we get to the arena, to go to will-call and give them my name. There were 4 VIP locker room area tickets waiting for us! After the game (3-0 loss, oh well) we went down to meet him outside the locker room. He was super nice and friendly and introduced us to several other players. I ended up with pictures and autographs from Moulson, Eichel, Kane, Reinhart, and Risto. He hungout with us for about half an hour until he had to run to the bus back to the hotel. Awesome experience.

Funny story about that night. While the four of us were waiting in the VIP area, there were three 'puck bunnies' smoking hot, probably couldn't tell the difference between icing and offsides waiting there as well. They were making fun of my friends zubaz pants etc. As soon as players started coming out, the girls were flocking to every single one trying to talk to them. fast forward half an hour when we left, we were going to a bar across the street from the Arena and saw Ryan O'reilly walking with the three girls and getting into a limo. My friend yelled "O'Reilly, can we get your autograph?" the look he gave us as he got in the limo after the three girls was priceless.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

My favorite Sabre all time has to be Cody Eakin for scoring the goal that finally brought the Stanley Cup to the Buffalo Sabres.

Oh shoot.... this is still 2020?  wth I'll leave this post here as proof that time travel is real.  You'll see for yourselves next summer.

Edited by Doohickie
  • Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

My favorite Sabre all time has to be Cody Eakin for scoring the goal that finally brought the Stanley Cup to the Buffalo Sabres.

Oh shoot.... this is still 2020?  wth I'll leave this post here as proof that time travel is real.  You'll see for yourselves next summer.

Very bold I like it!

On 10/22/2020 at 7:28 PM, carpandean said:

I want to say Peca, but the ending taints it (not saying it was all on him, by any means.)  Had they gotten a deal done in 2000, he could have been an easy choice.

If Peca didn't have that nasty holdout to go finish his career here he'd easily be my top guy. Yet looking back Mike Foligno was a favorite of mine during my childhood but ultimately the one guy I always respected before he became a Sabre and after he left was Chris Drury. 

Edited by The Jokeman

On 10/23/2020 at 8:50 PM, SwampD said:

I’ve heard this limo story before. I want to believe it.

You're right, I think i told this story several years ago under a thread that was about if you have ever met any players or something like that. It definitely happened though. RoR was what 24 years old at the time, I would've done it too.

Hasek by a long shot. One of the most extraordinary athletes of all time; he did his job better than anyone ever had, and did it in a way that nobody has ever been able to replicate. Usually, when an athlete performs at such a high level using novel technique, others copy them and it becomes standard. In Hasek's case, nobody can physically do the things he did, so his style still holds up as completely his own. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.