All time favorite Sabre, and why?

I-90 W

Mine is Ryan Miller. 

Became a hockey fan in 07 and was really amazed at how he played in the net.

2010 was really exciting too as he was the best goalie in the world imo that year. That Olympics loss was crushing.

Edited by I-90 W
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Guess? 

The reason is easy. I was a kid, started watching hockey, I first saw Boston beat St. Louis and thought that Bobby Orr guy was pretty cool but then started seeing those Buffalo games on tv though and this French Connection line put a beat down on Montreal and that was it. After that I was a fan of Gare, Schoenfeld, King Kong, all those guys, and most of all Rick Dudley with that headband cause that was just so damn cool and unique. What a great era for Sabres hockey that was! 

• Like (+1) 2

Mr Perrault!   His end-to-end rushes through the opposing team were awesome.  I caught a NHL Network showing of Game 6 of the 1975 Finals the other day.  Even though I knew the Sabres lost the series with that game, I enjoyed watching Gil and those guys again.

To piggyback on PerraultForever’s post, that team also included Don Luce, Craig Ramsay, Fred Stanfield, Jim Lorentz and Bill Hajt.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, North Buffalo said:

Jim Schoenfeld... oh I liked Perrault all right, but Schoeney could skate, fight and didn't take crap off the Bruins... plus as a kid I had hair like his...

+++++

For me it has to be the best all-round player the Sabres ever had ...

Gare.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

Max. He was fast and fun. What hockey is supposed to be. I'm sure Analytics hates him though.

He could be fast and fun.  He also could be incredibly frustrating.  We never knew which Max we were going to get on any given shift. His goal in Game 5 remains one of my favorites of all time. 

53 minutes ago, #freejame said:

Geoff Sanderson as well. He spells his name like I do and scored some huge goals for us. 

How else would you spell Sanderson?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, steveoath said:

I'm still on my hockey fan ELC, so I don't have a lot of sabres experience. I have enjoyed watching Jack and Dahlin so I guess one of them. 

Hope things get better for you before you get to UFA. Lucky for you that you haven't had to endure much of the drought. When the winning begins you will be sucked in like most of us and you won't be able to get enough.

• Like (+1) 1

Mike Ramsey.

In an era with 2 generational talents lighting the league up, the guy who could simply shut ***** down was under appreciated.

Top pair D man, PK lock down guy, saw PP time as well, 4 all star games, 1980 Miracle on Ice member, USA Hockey HOF member.

2nd choice, Mogilny.  Cold war intrigue and crazy talented.  He’s what Afinogenov wishes he could have been.

• Like (+1) 6

Hard one to call for me. In 21 years following this team the names that standout for me - Drury, briere, vanek, satan, peca, miller, Hasek, Campbell, eichel.  Vanek was the first player I saw at the world championships playing for Austria but would have to be Drury for me - class player and we got so close with him and briere. 

Perreault was my first. Mogilny is my all-time favorite. He could do things with his speed no one else seemed to be doing at that time. A breath of fresh air. Not unlike, Gilbert in his day, every time he touched the puck you had the potential of a highlight reel play.

Rick Martin.  That guy could really score goals and had a wicked slapshot.  Scored 52 very early in his career.  My next favorite is Lindy Ruff.  Never highly talented, but loved the passion with which he played (and later coached).  He was also a versatile player - he played both defense and wing.  He was always a tough guy, a grinder who was willing to drop the gloves, but at his peak, got up into the 20 goal range.  It was a shame watching Lindy at the end of his Sabres playing career, as he clearly had nothing left in the tank.  I'm surprised the Rangers took him on and that he stayed in the league (as a player) for a couple of years after that.

From a pure offensive skill standpoint, guys like Perreault and LaFontaine are hard to beat.  As Jack matures, he certainly has a shot to be one of those guys, although his offensive skill probably includes more sheer strength and power than Gil and LaLa.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.