What Happens Next?

GASabresIUFAN

31 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Lehner is having shoulder surgery and should (but may not be) ready for camp.  This seems to take MAF off the market for now.

Any interest in Jimmy Howard who has suffered behind a horrible D in Det for the last 2 years.  I might take a flier on him to share the AHL net to mentor UPL with a promise of a chance to beat out Hutton in camp.

MAF to remain in Las Vegas as stated by General manager Kelly McCrimmon.

https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/goldenknights/marc-andre-fleury-to-remain-with-golden-knights-2148396/

And a HARD PASS on Jimmy Howard. Just my opinion but he definitely isn't worth pursuing.

7 minutes ago, Hawerchuk said:

MAF to remain in Las Vegas as stated by General manager Kelly McCrimmon.

https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/goldenknights/marc-andre-fleury-to-remain-with-golden-knights-2148396/

And a HARD PASS on Jimmy Howard. Just my opinion but he definitely isn't worth pursuing.

Not even as a 3rd string goalie.  You can probably get him for 700K sent him Rochester and if an injury occurs at least you have a real NHL goalie to come in.

9 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Not even as a 3rd string goalie.  You can probably get him for 700K sent him Rochester and if an injury occurs at least you have a real NHL goalie to come in.

Are you leaving Hutton as the 2nd goalie?  If not, who is your 2 and who takes Hutton off the Sabres hands & for how much of a sweetener?

Just now, Taro T said:

Are you leaving Hutton as the 2nd goalie?  If not, who is your 2 and who takes Hutton off the Sabres hands & for how much of a sweetener?

I'd love to move on from Hutton, but with MAF off the market, their isn't much out there.  Cap wise we'd have move someone to take on Kuemper, Raanta or MAF and still have most of the hit on Hutton even if we demote him.  An upgrade just seems unlikely at this point.

So the choice is keep what we got, try to get the best 3rd string we can and pray Hutton rebounds or somehow get lucky and someone wants Hutton as part of a bigger deal.  Option A seems like the most likely option right now.

Just now, GASabresIUFAN said:

I'd love to move on from Hutton, but with MAF off the market, their isn't much out there.  Cap wise we'd have move someone to take on Kuemper, Raanta or MAF and still have most of the hit on Hutton even if we demote him.  An upgrade just seems unlikely at this point.

So the choice is keep what we got, try to get the best 3rd string we can and pray Hutton rebounds or somehow get lucky and someone wants Hutton as part of a bigger deal.  Option A seems like the most likely option right now.

Really expecting we'll see a RHD out the door for 1 of the upgrade goalies at this point.  (Not necessarily in the same trade.) Pretty sure that would be option D.  If Adams can make the cap work, my preference is to have Hutton stashed in the AHL in case 1 of the other 2 guys get injured or fall off the face of the earth as Hutton did each of the last 2 years.  (Presumes he doesn't win the 1 or 2 role in camp - likely a valid assumption; and if he does outperform 1 of the other 2 guys, not exactly the worst problem in the world to have.)

And if somebody snags Hutton on his way down, at least all of his sa,are is off the books.

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/14/2020 at 5:29 AM, Turbo44 said:

1. Try to avoid arbitration, by signing the three, given the depressed market

2. Trade a RHD, probably Miller given Ralph's lack of using him last year

3. Trade for Kuemper will money saved by #2

4.  Season with playoffs and surprise deep playoff run

5. Resign Hall at Staal

Is Kuemper on the block? Can't imagine so. Raanta maybe.

I think Reinhart is going to get Domi money...something along the lines of 2 years at $5.3M a year.

I think Olofsson will get Kubalik money...something like 2 years at $3.7M.

I think Ullmark will get Georgiev money....something like 2 years at $2.4M.

If that happens, with where our roster is now, that would leave us with around $1.5M in salary cap space (according to CapFriendly).

Ristolainen, Miller or Montour need to be traded to open up some cap space, if any other moves are expected.

Edited by OhMyDahlin
  • Like (+1) 2

34 minutes ago, OhMyDahlin said:

I think Reinhart is going to get Domi money...something along the lines of 2 years at $5.3M a year.

I think Olofsson will get Kubalik money...something like 2 years at $3.7M.

I think Ullmark will get Georgiev money....something like 2 years at $2.4M.

If that happens, with where our roster is now, that would leave us with around $1.5M in salary cap space (according to CapFriendly).

Ristolainen, Miller or Montour need to be traded to open up some cap space, if any other moves are expected.

Package Miller, Mitty, Hutton and maybe a prospect for a better goalie to split time with Ullmark. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, The Jokeman said:

Package Miller, Mitty, Hutton and maybe a prospect for a better goalie to split time with Ullmark. 

I view Hutton as being untradeable until he proves that he can play hockey again.

Best case scenario is his starting in Rochester and hopefully rehabbing his career. It is just as likely that he ends up on LTIR then we see him playing NHL games again.

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/16/2020 at 3:48 PM, irregularly irregular said:

I view Hutton as being untradeable until he proves that he can play hockey again.

Best case scenario is his starting in Rochester and hopefully rehabbing his career. It is just as likely that he ends up on LTIR then we see him playing NHL games again.

Fair enough just as long as he doesn't suit up for the Sabres.

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/16/2020 at 2:18 PM, The Jokeman said:

But who, is the question? I've looked at every roster and there are not many goalies I'd assume are available.

Columbus is keeping both their young goalies, so that leaves Arizona as the only real possible trade partner.

They. Have. To. Do. Something.

2 hours ago, OhMyDahlin said:

But who, is the question? I've looked at every roster and there are not many goalies I'd assume are available.

Columbus is keeping both their young goalies, so that leaves Arizona as the only real possible trade partner.

They. Have. To. Do. Something.

I went through the same exercise, and Arizona is the only answer I came up with.

The Coyotes have to make a move in net.  If they don't, we can just claim Adin Hill on his way through waivers and answer the goalie question just like that.

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Shootica said:

I went through the same exercise, and Arizona is the only answer I came up with.

The Coyotes have to make a move in net.  If they don't, we can just claim Adin Hill on his way through waivers and answer the goalie question just like that.

I get your point, but we need more than Adin Hill. He's a fine young goalie, but I want more. Kuemper would be a dream, but I'll take Raanta.}

All I know is they cannot go into the season with Carter Hutton as one of their two NHL goalies.

• Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, OhMyDahlin said:

I get your point, but we need more than Adin Hill. He's a fine young goalie, but I want more. Kuemper would be a dream, but I'll take Raanta.}

All I know is they cannot go into the season with Carter Hutton as one of their two NHL goalies.

I'm with ya.  And it would work out in everyone's favor, because I think Arizona would rather keep the younger cheap guy anyway and get some value out of Raanta in a trade.  The fact that we (or anyone else) can claim Hill is just the push for them to trade one of the other two.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Shootica said:

I'm with ya.  And it would work out in everyone's favor, because I think Arizona would rather keep the younger cheap guy anyway and get some value out of Raanta in a trade.  The fact that we (or anyone else) can claim Hill is just the push for them to trade one of the other two.

Here's to hoping it all works itself out, as far as the goalies are concerned! 🍻

4 hours ago, Shootica said:

3 hours ago, OhMyDahlin said:

2 hours ago, Shootica said:

Good stuff here boys.  I can't say I know anything about Hill other than what I learned by looking at his stats just now, but based on those stats, I would claim him off waivers in a heartbeat and send Hutton to the minors.

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=170947

- 6'6", 202 lbs, age 24, drafted in 2015. 

- After being drafted, 1 more year in juniors, then 3 seasons in the AHL, then pretty close to a split this year between the AHL and the NHL, with steadily improving numbers.

Yes please (if there is no acceptable deal to be had for one of the other goalies available in trade).

• Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.