What Happens Next?

GASabresIUFAN

We still have 3 key RFAs to re-sign (who all filled for arbitration) plus others like Mitts to re-sign.  Do we upgrade the goaltending?  Do we find a better 3rd LHD then Davidsson?  What will it cost to upgrade these two slots and how can we get it done?

I also don't like the idea of another season of Montour playing as an LHD.  

With the Bonus overage from last year, I also think KA needs to move some payroll.  I'm thrilled that we are playing with a budget as low as 72 mill, but now we are up against the cap again and I suspect KA will want 3-5 mill of maneuvering room during the season.  I wonder how much Miller or Montour are worth right now in the trade market.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

I'm not really interested in moving Miller like you are, but I'd be fine to move Montour. Thing is I don't think there is a market or we might have already seen him moved. I'm also not concerned about Mitts. I'm content to just let that go as a blown draft pick and if he surprises great, but if not meh, whatever, it's the past. Just let him play in Rochester and see if he comes around. My expectation is zero so i can't be disappointed. 

Idk what's going to happen and we have a lot of contracts ended after this season so really who knows what's next????

First I think we find out if they see the RFAs as part of this future or not.

Edited by PerreaultForever

i was listening to biron and andrew peters on the xm radio talk show last night. i found it very interesting that peters said that he thinks ullmark has earned the right to start the season as the number one and prove he is worth keeping. he said he thought the sabres really need to get rid of 1 right hand shot defenseman and get a veteran left hand shot, and that should be their priority

I know Peters has forgotten more than i will ever know, but i dont agree with the ullmark part of it. the sabres have a shot to be good THIS year. Next year, they possibly lose the #1 LW and their #2 center. If the sabres can get a true 1a goalie, then they are 10+ wins greater than they were last year. Hutton went like all of december giving up 5+ goals, the sabres lost 6 of 7 at the end. How many of those losses were due to terrible tending vs just losing because they didnt score enough (not scoring enough should be answered by hall and staal). I dont think we should get rid of ullmark, but i do think he should be the number 2

We dont know if cozens will be ready to fill a #2 Center role for the  season after this coming season. He might, but we dont know yet

Edited by miles

I have no issue with giving Linus a shot to battle another goalie for a chance to grab the #1 spot outright.

I have a huge issue with that other goalie being Hutton. At least give me a Raantta, or a Korpisalo.

As an aside, the Sabres need another goalie because they have to expose a goalie to the Kraken and Hutton will no longer be under contract.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I have no issue with giving Linus a shot to battle another goalie for a chance to grab the #1 spot outright.

I have a huge issue with that other goalie being Hutton. At least give me a Raantta, or a Korpisalo.

As an aside, the Sabres need another goalie because they have to expose a goalie to the Kraken and Hutton will no longer be under contract.

i am not sure if UPL is eligible to be taken since he doesnt have any nhl time. 

with that being said, if UPL is eligible to be taken, i would protect him. if not, you protect Ullmark and call up some shmoe that has no chance to ever make the team and let them have at him. 

i found this link with the rules, but it doesnt specify how many games of nhl time is required to be eligible. I hope this is the last expansion team. there is already so many teams

https://www.nhl.com/news/seattle-kraken-2021-nhl-expansion-draft-rules-same-as-vegas-golden-knights-followed/c-302586918

3 minutes ago, miles said:

with that being said, if UPL is eligible to be taken, i would protect him. if not, you protect Ullmark and call up some shmoe that has no chance to ever make the team and let them have at him. 

i found this link with the rules, but it doesnt specify how many games of nhl time is required to be eligible. I hope this is the last expansion team. there is already so many teams

https://www.nhl.com/news/seattle-kraken-2021-nhl-expansion-draft-rules-same-as-vegas-golden-knights-followed/c-302586918

Pretty sure Luukkonnen won't have been a pro for 3 years prior to the draft, so he will be exempt.  Even if he had to be exposed, they'd still need a vet to be exposed as well.

• Like (+1) 1

At this point, I'm fine with just sitting back until camp arrives.  I'd LIKE to see Risto moved for any parts that might help, but now I'm ok with waiting.

-Goalie....Hutton isn't your starter, he is your backup.  hoping he has a 'bounce back' year, but hes still your backup.

-I'm anxious to see what lines might be played with the current roster.

-Not 'moves', but lets give some of the guys in Rochester a LEGIT chance to make the team.

If something falls in your lap, but all means go for it...but I'm ok with letting things play out with what you have now....trades and moves are allowed after the season starts after all.

Try to find a team that wants Risto for a high pick and Miller for like a 3rd rounder.

call St. Louis.  They have no cap space and Dunn is an RFA.  Trade a futures package for Dunn.

call Arizona and offer a package of picks and prospects for Kuemper.

Dahlin Montour

Dunn Jokiharu

McCabe Borgen

is much more balanced and  Kuemper/Ullmark is a huge upgrade in net.

These moves would set them up to contend this year for a playoff run.

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Pretty sure Luukkonnen won't have been a pro for 3 years prior to the draft, so he will be exempt.  Even if he had to be exposed, they'd still need a vet to be exposed as well.

i didint know that was the requirement. glad to hear it

1 hour ago, miles said:

UPL is exempt, so no need to protect.

The Sabres don’t have a shmoe who is expansion draft eligible.  That’s why they need to bring someone in.

The expansion draft protection question is interesting.  Because like others have said, teams are required to leave at least one goalie exposed in expansion.  This means that we have to have a goalie under contract next off-season to expose. 

So in our current situation (Ullmark and Hutton) we will need to re-sign Ullmark to at least a 2 year deal, and we will be required to expose him.  Same goes for if we replace Hutton with another goalie that is one year away from UFA (Kuemper, Rittich, Reimer/Mrazek).

That makes me think that if we are looking to acquire a goalie, it will be someone with more than one year left.  Raanta and the Columbus goalies come to mind.  This gives us much more flexibility in the event that Linus shows that he is a bonafide starting goalie.

On this topic, we really should have signed Johansson to a 2 year deal.  That way he would be the surefire candidate to expose and we wouldn't have to be having this conversation.

What comes next?

Hall's been freed...

Do you know how hard it is to lead?

You're on your own...

Eichel said Wow!

Do you have a clue what happens now??

Good teams rise...bad teams fall!

It's much harder when it's all your call...

All alone, with Taylor Hall...

When you get hurt and the fans hate you

don't come crawling for a trade...

Da da da dat da dat da da da ya da

Da da dat da da ya da!

Hall's on his own...

Also...would this be a great time to say "Welcome to the Adams Administration"?  🤣🤣🤣

Edited by matter2003
  • Thanks (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Shootica said:

The expansion draft protection question is interesting.  Because like others have said, teams are required to leave at least one goalie exposed in expansion.  This means that we have to have a goalie under contract next off-season to expose.

So in our current situation (Ullmark and Hutton) we will need to re-sign Ullmark to at least a 2 year deal, and we will be required to expose him.  Same goes for if we replace Hutton with another goalie that is one year away from UFA (Kuemper, Rittich, Reimer/Mrazek).

That makes me think that if we are looking to acquire a goalie, it will be someone with more than one year left.  Raanta and the Columbus goalies come to mind.  This gives us much more flexibility in the event that Linus shows that he is a bonafide starting goalie.

On this topic, we really should have signed Johansson to a 2 year deal.  That way he would be the surefire candidate to expose and we wouldn't have to be having this conversation.

Believe Ullmark is 2 seasons from UFA.  (If he's only 1, ignore this next bit. 😉 )

Because he'd be an RFA next year, he could qualify as the goalie to be exposed to Seattle (Sounds kind of like being exposed to Covid. 😉 )  should the Sabres not have an additional vet goalie under control.

Am expecting the guy the Sabres bring in to have a 2 year deal & expect (at present) that goalie or Ullmark (whomever gets exposed) to be the most valuable piece that is exposed.  If Pilut has a killer year in the KHL this year, maybe Seattle would take a chance on him, but probably not before extracting a Carrier-esque player from the Sabres to leave the GTs alone.

Really don't see any way the Sabres lose a F to Seattle barring a pre-draft arrangement worked out between the 2 clubs.  And don't see the point to it from the Sabres' perspective. Lose your 4th D, or 2nd goalie, or 8th F and be done w/ it.  There's kids coming up that reasonably soon should be able to replace them.  And 29 other teams are in the same boat.

Edited by Taro T

2 hours ago, Shootica said:

Johansson won't be getting 40 plus games this year in B&G, so inking him to an extra year does nothing to meet the obligations regarding Seattle.  (They could take him if they wanted if the Sabres still have rights of 1st refusal, but the Sabres need to expose a goalie besides him.)

Edited by Taro T
Finally found the criteria for the '17 expansion, which this expansion will follow.

4 hours ago, dudacek said:

The goalie rules are different then the D or Forward rules.  No 40 game requirement, nor does the player have to be on the NHL roster.  Johansson is an RFA at the end of this deal and therefore we can expose him and protect Ullmark if we choose.

One goalie who is under contract in 2021-22 or will be a restricted free agent at the end of his current contract immediately prior to 2021-22. If a team elects to make a restricted free agent goalie available to meet this requirement, that goalie must have received his qualifying offer prior to the submission of the team's protected list.

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

What comes next?

Hall's been freed...

Do you know how hard it is to lead?

You're on your own...

Eichel said Wow!

Do you have a clue what happens now??

Good teams rise...bad teams fall!

It's much harder when it's all your call...

All alone, with Taylor Hall...

When you get hurt and the fans hate you

don't come crawling for a trade...

Da da da dat da dat da da da ya da

Da da dat da da ya da!

Hall's on his own...

Also...would this be a great time to say "Welcome to the Adams Administration"?  🤣🤣🤣

A++ for effort, except we want this Adams administration to be more successful then John Adams' administration.

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

The goalie rules are different then the D or Forward rules.  No 40 game requirement, nor does the player have to be on the NHL roster.  Johansson is an RFA at the end of this deal and therefore we can expose him and protect Ullmark if we choose.

Doh, you're right.  For whatever reason Johansson was a UFA after the year in my head.  He'll satisfy that requirement.

The real question on goaltending is who is legitimately available for us to upgrade Hutton, or is this a forlorn hope.

Lehner is having shoulder surgery and should (but may not be) ready for camp.  This seems to take MAF off the market for now.

Kuemper or Ranta are probably available as the Yotes need to cut payroll, but there are teams, like Carolina and Chicago, that maybe more desperate for goaltending then we are.  

If Carolina went hard after Kuemper, would you be interested in Reimer or Mrazek as Ullmark's No. 2 or is that just more Hutton.

Any interest in Jimmy Howard who has suffered behind a horrible D in Det for the last 2 years.  I might take a flier on him to share the AHL net to mentor UPL with a promise of a chance to beat out Hutton in camp.

2 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

The real question on goaltending is who is legitimately available for us to upgrade Hutton, or is this a forlorn hope.

Lehner is having shoulder surgery and should (but may not be) ready for camp.  This seems to take MAF off the market for now.

Kuemper or Ranta are probably available as the Yotes need to cut payroll, but there are teams, like Carolina and Chicago, that maybe more desperate for goaltending then we are.  

If Carolina went hard after Kuemper, would you be interested in Reimer or Mrazek as Ullmark's No. 2 or is that just more Hutton.

Any interest in Jimmy Howard who has suffered behind a horrible D in Det for the last 2 years.  I might take a flier on him to share the AHL net to mentor UPL with a promise of a chance to beat out Hutton in camp.

Kuemper, Raanta, Korpisalo (sp?), or Fleury are the only guys that are known to be available that would actually be better than a healthy Hutton.  None of those others you've mentioned move the needle.  The Sabres need to give Hutton the possibility of beating out the guy they bring in by earning it; not the other way round.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.