Slapping the PP: how do the Sabres work the man advantage?

dudacek

22 minutes ago, spndnchz said:

The ‘big’ thing is Eichel and Dahlin. Perfect right in the wheelhouse for Oly.  Oly is not unappreciative 

It's such a simple play but I always say it's underrated - so much of the success or failure of the PP one-timer on any team comes down to how accurate that little set-up pass is and there are *none* better than Rasmus Dahlin in this regard. 

2 minutes ago, Thorny said:

It's such a simple play but I always say it's underrated - so much of the success or failure of the PP one-timer on any team comes down to how accurate that little set-up pass is and there are *none* better than Rasmus Dahlin in this regard. 

And they will now have Eichel, Dahlin, & Hall ALL able to put that puck in the perfect spot for a 1 timer.  If the D tries to cheat on that pass, then either of Eichel or Hall CAN bury it themself & Dahlin might be there as well.

PK's will have to pressure hard to disrupt the shots & puck movement, but that will result in open looks when pucks get through.  

Play with urgency & this PP could be hitting at nearly 25%.  (The 2nd unit won't be slouches themselves.)

8 minutes ago, Taro T said:

And they will now have Eichel, Dahlin, & Hall ALL able to put that puck in the perfect spot for a 1 timer.  If the D tries to cheat on that pass, then either of Eichel or Hall CAN bury it themself & Dahlin might be there as well.

PK's will have to pressure hard to disrupt the shots & puck movement, but that will result in open looks when pucks get through.  

Play with urgency & this PP could be hitting at nearly 25%.  (The 2nd unit won't be slouches themselves.)

Ya they'll have to get their system worked out - there's really no excuse. We had the talent for a better PP last year than we had, too - so Hall is no guarantee on this front. 

Hall is a good passer and I suspect Eichel does it as well or close to as well, but I mean it when I say Dahlin does that little one-timer feed to *perfection*. It's a real skill and he's sensational at it. 

- - - 

Eichel and Reinhart are both excellent passers but I do think Dahlin is on another level, even, by his prime years. Kid can pass. 

Tangent but Olofsson, Skinner and Quinn are the pure goal scorers and then

Cozens and Hall to me are more balanced in execution. 

Eichel of course is too, pass, shoot, excels at both, but his default nature has always leaned playmaker and that suits our current stable of wingers and projected wingers. 

Edited by Thorny

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

Unless cozens can carry a puck into the O-zone, I'd prefer hall on PP2.

Dahlin up top, Eichel on the left wall, Olofsson on the right wall, Hall in the middle, Staal/Reinhart down low.

And run that elite unit out there for 1:30 of a 2:00 PP, or even more.  Players generally don’t expend as much energy on the PP as ES, so I’m a believer that you should run your elite guys out there as much as possible on the PP.

Plus that still leaves Risto, Skinner, one of Reinhart/Staal, and two of Okposo/Thompson/Cozens for the 2nd unit.

Edited by Curt

On 10/16/2020 at 5:39 PM, Huckleberry said:

Yeah no, Staal should not even sniff any PP, he isn't good at it.  You bring Staal in for the even strenght play.   not for PP or PK.

????

Staal averaged 7 PP goals and 15 PP points in his four years in Minny. He’s 61st in the  NHL for forwards in that period.

Jeff Skinner had 5 and 11, Sam Reinhart 6 and 16

He’s good at it. He’s also a left-handed big body who is good down low on the right side, which happens to be our weakest link.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 2

22 hours ago, dudacek said:

????

Staal averaged 7 PP goals and 15 PP points in his four years in Minny. He’s 61st in the  NHL forwards in that period.

Jeff Skinner had 5 and 11, Sam Reinhart 6 and 16

He’s good at it. He’s also a left-handed big body who is good down low on the right side, which happens to be our weakest link.

Yeah, he will be 100% be out there working down low and cashing in on some Andreychuk-esq goals in front

18 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

The Sabres should run the pp from below the goal and stop this outdated point shot/tip garbage they tried. PP has to go low to mid and east to west. 

Especially now with Hall, Eichel, Stall, and Skinner.  They can cause fits with their puck possession and passing abilities down low

My PP lines right now looks like this:

Hall - Reino - VO

Eichel - Dahlin

Skinner - Staal - Cozens

Joker - TBD

Edited by SHAAAUGHT!!!

I am pretty sure Ralph will load up the 1st unit; that seems to be his style.

Reinhart Staal

Eichel Hall

Dahlin

Elite passer at the point. Guys who can pass and shoot equally well on the half-walls. Guys who can make plays in tight down low. Everyone has the proper hand. On paper, pretty hard to see a weakness - maybe Dahlin’s shot?

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

If we cared about balancing the 2nd unit, I might move Risto or KO into Sam’s place and hand PP2 to Sam on the left half-wall, feeding VO in his usual spot and Miller at the point. Skins and Risto/KO (or even Cozens) down low.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, SHAAAUGHT!!! said:

Yeah, he will be 100% be out there working down low and cashing in on some Andreychuk-esq goals in front

Especially now with Hall, Eichel, Stall, and Skinner.  They can cause fits with their puck possession and passing abilities down low

My PP lines right now looks like this:

Hall - Reino - VO

Eichel - Dahlin

Skinner - Staal - Cozens

Joker - TBD

I think your top unit looks right, although I think the substitution of Staal for VO that dudacek proposed is quite possible.

On the 2nd unit, I'd expect Risto to have the only D spot over Joker if they play 4 forwards.  I also think TT will be in the mix if he can fire the weapon reliably on the one-timer.

4 hours ago, dudacek said:

I am pretty sure Ralph will load up the 1st unit; that seems to be his style.

Reinhart Staal

Eichel Hall

Dahlin

Elite passer at the point. Guys who can pass and shoot equally well on the half-walls. Guys who can make plays in tight down low. Everyone has the proper hand. On paper, pretty hard to see a weakness - maybe Dahlin’s shot?

This would also no doubt improve Staal's happiness level.  I can definitely see this happening.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.