Most improved team in the Atlantic?

GASabresIUFAN

The Sabres have definitely taken a step forward.  You don’t add a former MVP in his prime and not be better for it. Also adding a 2c in Staal fixes the biggest hole left by the last administration.  I also like Eakin over Larsson as well.  However Issues remain like goaltending and LHD.

That said, who is the most improved team in the Altantic.  Montreal has added Anderson, Toffoli, Edmundson and Allen but lost Domi.

Ottawa added talent in the draft plus Matt Murray in net and Gudbranson and Brown on D.

Yzerman has been active in Det.  He has signed Garner, Ryan, Greiss, Namestnikov, Merrill plus acquired Marc Staal and drafted Raymond.  

Toronto added Brodie but lost Kapenan and Johnsson in the process.  Replaced them with Vesey, Bogo and Simmonds.  Not a great sign when you’re adding 3 ex-Sabres.

Boston added Craig Smith

Florida has added depth in Gudas,  Wennberg, Hornqvist, Verheaghe, but lost Brown and dumped some Pu.

Imho Montreal, Ottawa and Buffalo are the most improved.  Toronto D is marginally better but losing 2 talented depth forwards hurts.  Not sure what Florida is doing, Boston just has to tinker and TB is in cap hell

Montreal and Buffalo are neck and neck, but I’d give Montreal the edge because they addressed all 3 areas in need with the 2 star forwards, Edmundson on D plus Allen for Price’s backup.

Detroit was a smoky tire fire last year.  They'll just be bad this year.  IMHO, they are the most improved but will still be irrelevant.

Of the 7 relevant teams, expecting Buffalo (should they improve the GT) or the Otters are the most improved.  Moe-ray-all needs Price to still be all world to have a shot at that title.  

TB will be worse but still the team to beat.  Bah-stan losing Krug & possibly Chara will hurt but will likely still be what they were last year assuming Rask is back in form.

The Loafs are treading water or possibly taking a small step backwards.

Not sure whether FL is improved or treading water.

I don't think anyone at this point can match Hall+Staal-Johansson at the top end. Losing Krug and adding Smith appears to be the biggest loss in that area.

In general, it looks like the division is improving, pending what happens with the two Florida wingers.

Going to give this a while before taking a look. Still a few shoes to drop and I don't have a firm grasp of the secondary pieces.

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

<snip>

Toronto added Brodie but lost Kapenan and Johnsson in the process.  Replaced them with Vesey, Bogo and Simmonds.  Not a great sign when you’re adding 3 ex-Sabres.

<snip>

The analytics tell you that adding ex-Sabres leads to winning the cup. They added 3, it's almost a lock.

• Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

To me it's Montreal.  They've had some nice additions, and the natural progression of Suzuki and Kotkaniemi as players should leave them in a really nice place.

I also think Brodie is a very nice addition for Toronto.  They've improved in my eyes through that move alone.

Ottawa and Detroit improved, but I don't think we need to worry about them at this point.

This division is going to be a gauntlet next year.

When you add an elite player (Hall) you're going to be the most improved. Prior to that I'd have said we have little chance of catching Montreal this year and Ottawa is definitely trending upwards but they have a ways to go. All their youth won't be ready at once. So us and Montreal are most improved.

I'm undecided on Florida but I don't actually think the Leafs are better. They might be worse. Depth and bottom end of that lineup is still pretty sketchy. 

Unless we have an injury meltdown we should make the playoffs. Finally. 

• 3 weeks later...

Galchenyuk just signed in Ottawa for 1.05 for 1 season.  We could have had a guy who plays all three forward slots and has 50 pt potential for 1.05. 

Is it time now to access which Atlantic team is most improved?

Ottawa: Adds Galchenyuk, Dadonov, Matt Murray, Josh Brown & Eric Gudbranson plus top 5 draft picks (3rd overall) Stutzle, who could make the team, and (5th) D Jake Sanderson.  Loses Duclair, Ennis, Namestnikov and Bokowiecki.

Montreal: Adds Josh Anderson, Toffoli, Jake Allen and Edmundson, but lost Domi, Kovie and Thompson

Buffalo: Adds Staal, Hall, Rieder and Eakin.  Losses Larsson, Mojo, Kahun, and Vesey (Simmonds and Frolik if you must)  Unsigned: Olofsson

TB:   Adds:  Losses: Shattenkirk. Verhaeghe  Unsigned yet: Sergachev, Cirello and Cernak

Boston:  Adds: Craig Smith, Kase  & Nick Ritchie(at trade deadline)    Losses: Krug,  Unsigned: DeBrusk

Florida:  Adds: Hornqvist, Wennberg, Nutivaara, Gudas, Verhaeghe & Hinostroza    Losses: Dadonov, Hoffman, Boyle, Pysyk, Haula, Matheson, Sceviour & Josh Brown  (Certainly the winner in most turnover and acquisitions with the longest and hardest names to pronounce).

Detroit: Adds Namestnikov, Ryan, Gagner (at deadline), Marc Staal, Merrill, Stecher & Greiss  plus top 4 pick Lucas Raymond.  Losses:  Abdelkader (Buyout), Athanasiou, Daley (retire), Cholowski, & Bowey   Unsigned: Mantha

Toronto:  Adds: Vesey, Simmonds, Bogo, Thornton, Lehtonen (Finnish import), Brodie   Losses: Kapanen, Johnsson, Barrie & Ceci  Unsigned: Dermott

I think Ottawa is substantially improved in all areas.  We are certainly loads better up front, but goaltending an issue.  Montreal is also significantly improved.  

Florida revamped their roster, but that is still deck chairs on the Titanic.  I'm no sure how adding 80 year old Thornton and a bunch of ex-Sabres helps your team, but the core is still good.  Detroit added names, not really an impact.  Boston is a wash and TB is a complete unknown.  They have yet to accomplish really anything this off-season.

The distance between Tor, Bos and TB and the rest of the division shrunk so far this off-season with Buffalo, Ott and Montreal with Florida slipping backward.   

Cernak, Sergachev, Mantha, Olofsson, Cirelli, and DeBrusk is a very strong list of RFAs still unsigned.

I’m just not ready for this yet. Still moves coming.

• Will we get a goalie?
  • Who is Tampa dumping?
  • How are Detroit, Florida and Ottawa using their cap space?
  • Does Boston have another move?

I really think the Leafs and the Habs are the only teams pretty much done.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, dudacek said:

• Will we get a goalie?
  • Who is Tampa dumping?

I said it a week and a half ago, we’re done.  It just has that feel to me.

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, dudacek said:

• Will we get a goalie?
  • Who is Tampa dumping?

Florida is done or nearly so once they re-sign their two remaining RFAs neither of which is essential.

Detroit has 21 players under contract with Mantha and one other RFA F to re-sign.  They are also likely done.

Boston looks set at forward once DeBrusk signs and in goal.  They also only need a depth D.

Toronto is certainly done, and actually may have to reduce payroll to get under the cap.

Montreal is also bumping up against the cap.

Ottawa is in great space to add, but looks done upfront and needs only depth on D.  Goalies are solid.

Sorry, but I think we are done, until we see where we are in camp.  I really don't think we are adding a goalie any time soon.  With Ullmark signed, we are only really looking an a backup goalie anyway.

That leaves TB.  They have to make moves and the moves will hurt their forward depth.  However even losing two forwards, they still will be the deepest forward group in the conference.  Their real question is what their D will look like, but starting with Hedman, Sergachev, McDonough and Cernak is a great start.  The bad news for them is they need to find about 10 mill in cap space to re-sign their 3 key RFAs.

6 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Florida is done or nearly so once they re-sign their two remaining RFAs neither of which is essential.

Detroit has 21 players under contract with Mantha and one other RFA F to re-sign.  They are also likely done.

Boston looks set at forward once DeBrusk signs and in goal.  They also only need a depth D.

Toronto is certainly done, and actually may have to reduce payroll to get under the cap.

Montreal is also bumping up against the cap.

Ottawa is in great space to add, but looks done upfront and needs only depth on D.  Goalies are solid.

Sorry, but I think we are done, until we see where we are in camp.  I really don't think we are adding a goalie any time soon.  With Ullmark signed, we are only really looking an a backup goalie anyway.

That leaves TB.  They have to make moves and the moves will hurt their forward depth.  However even losing two forwards, they still will be the deepest forward group in the conference.  Their real question is what their D will look like, but starting with Hedman, Sergachev, McDonough and Cernak is a great start.  The bad news for them is they need to find about 10 mill in cap space to re-sign their 3 key RFAs.

We still have arbitration to get through and a lot of players still looking for a home.  Considering the # of teams that are/ will be over the cap, there are still too many pieces that can and need to be moved to believe everything is essentially set at this point.

Also, a more interesting question this season is which team is most improved in the Acela Division. 😉

17 hours ago, Weave said:

I said it a week and a half ago, we’re done.  It just has that feel to me.

Weave, you are displaying all of the signs and symptoms of PBSD (Post Botteril Stress Disorder). Your expectations are that nothing will be done when something obviously needs to be done. If something where to happen, it would be blatantly underwhelming and too late to matter.

Fear not, there are treatments available. Continued doses of KA have shown promise for those afflicted with PBSD. Additionally, Woody will probably (for proper monetary compensation) write you a Rx for something to take the edge off. He has plane tickets to pay for. 

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, irregularly irregular said:

Weave, you are displaying all of the signs and symptoms of PBSD (Post Botteril Stress Disorder). Your expectations are that nothing will be done when something obviously needs to be done. If something where to happen, it would be blatantly underwhelming and too late to matter.

Fear not, there are treatments available. Continued doses of KA have shown promise for those afflicted with PBSD. Additionally, Woody will probably (for proper monetary compensation) write you a Rx for something to take the edge off. He has plane tickets to pay for. 

I know this was in jest.

My opinion is based on the reality that most of the league up against the cap, Buffalo being fairly close to the cap, and the lieklihood that we would ahve to trade a defenseman in this market to get what is needed.  I don't think the right scenario exists.  So, wer'e done.

2 hours ago, Weave said:

I know this was in jest.

My opinion is based on the reality that most of the league up against the cap, Buffalo being fairly close to the cap, and the lieklihood that we would ahve to trade a defenseman in this market to get what is needed.  I don't think the right scenario exists.  So, wer'e done.

That's a good explanation of your thought process, or you've got it worse than we thought.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.