What does Jeff Skinner think about the signing?

SDS

17 minutes ago, SDS said:

Completely my opinion based upon what I would think is accepted understanding of human beings. 

and note I asked what he was thinking, not that he was outwardly unhappy. I refuse to believe that he signed that contract after spending a year with Jack Eichel and not thinking about playing along his side for at least several years. It’s a ridiculous notion to think that wasn’t a major factor in his decision.

and if it was a major factor in his decision, it ended before it started and if I was him I would be utterly disappointed in how it played out.

that doesn’t mean it isn’t best for the team, it’s just that if I’m Jeff Skinner I have probably kicked a few things since signing that contract.

Fair enough.  But maybe we all should see how the lines shake out. Who knows for sure Skinner doesn't  end up with Jack.

9 minutes ago, Kristian said:

I would expect most players to be pleased about their team improving, especially if it has zero impact on someone’s top-6 status.

Jeff has gone from playing with Mojo and Sobotka, to at-worst playing with Staal and better-than-Sobotka.

• Like (+1) 3

18 hours ago, SDS said:

That’s a false choice. There’s nothing to say that when he signed he didn’t imagine being on the top line and the other lines being fixed a different way.

It's largely up to him to make his line the #1 line. Staal could easily end up the #1 center statistically (which isn't necessarily a bad thing... If we have a 1a and 1b line, with 1a being Jack's but facing the other teams' top lines and 1b being Staal's line who abuses the other teams' 2nd lines and doing a little better than Jack's statistically I don't think anyone will complain. So do your part, Jeff, and make your line #1.

1 minute ago, Doohickie said:

It's largely up to him to make his line the #1 line. Staal could easily end up the #1 center statistically (which isn't necessarily a bad thing... If we have a 1a and 1b line, with 1a being Jack's but facing the other teams' top lines and 1b being Staal's line who abuses the other teams' 2nd lines and doing a little better than Jack's statistically I don't think anyone will complain. So do your part, Jeff, and make your line #1.

If Eichel stays healthy there is no, none, zero, zip, zilch, non-existant, nada a chance that Staal ends up statistically ahead of Jack.

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Make Skinner Great Again! lol 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, SDS said:

It seems most people's opinions are based upon what they think Jeff Skinner should feel from the perspective of everyone not named Jeff Skinner.

I think Jeff Skinner is horribly disappointed in how the situation played out for himself and his career, regardless of how he may feel about the direction of the team.

I just can't get there personally considering how much money is ALWAYS a prime factor. Waking up to a 72 million dollar, guaranteed deal every morning is going to mitigate a LOT of ill will. 

No one else was giving Skinner that coin. If he could trade it all in for a fair bit less, to go to a different squad, personally I highly doubt he'd do it. And that's trying to put myself in his shoes. 

There could definitely be some disappointment here, but I don't think it would even be to the point he's seriously regretting his decision, never mind being HORRIBLY disappointed. 

Edited by Thorny

5 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I just can't get there personally considering how much money is ALWAYS a prime factor. Waking up to a 72 million dollar, guaranteed deal every morning is going to mitigate a LOT of ill will. 

No one else was giving Skinner that coin. If he could trade it all in for a fair bit less, to go to a different squad, personally I highly doubt he'd do it. And that's trying to put myself in his shoes. 

There could definitely be some disappointment here, but I don't think it would even be to the point he's seriously regretting his decision, never mind being HORRIBLY disappointed. 

I think regretting your decision is more extreme than being horribly disappointed. But I’m just nitpicking.

• Thanks (+1) 1

8 hours ago, SDS said:

Because it’s not unreasonable to think that Jeff Skinner cares about his career and life’s work? That he made a decision to put himself in the best possible position and that ended before it even started? 

I would think Skinner would be disappointed about how last year went and excited about the coming season.  He is going to play with legitimate top 6 line mates even if he isn’t with Jack.  That didn’t happen last season.

He has done the put up big #s and cash in thing, I would think he wants to be an important part of a winning team.  He is going to have a great opportunity to do that.

I know that none of us knows Skinner’s thoughts, but I don’t like to assume the worst of someone, that he would prefer to score more goals on a worse team.

15 hours ago, Trettioåtta said:

I am still skeptical Hall and Eichel will click - both like to carry the puck too much.

Therefore, I expect Skinner to be on Eichel's wing.

Plus skinner put up 23 points for $9 million. He should be thinking about his own performance before contemplating his drop in rank in the depth chart

IMHO they should try and keep them on seperate lines, seeing as Eichel had proven he can carry his own line.

Putting Hall with Staal, would give us two legitimate scoring lines, for the opposition to worry about.

But Staal with Skinner could be pretty good as well.

On 10/13/2020 at 10:03 AM, Trettioåtta said:

I am still skeptical Hall and Eichel will click - both like to carry the puck too much.

Therefore, I expect Skinner to be on Eichel's wing.

Could be we now have a bit of a Malkin-Crosby type situation. Eichel and Hall play on different lines but Kreuger puts them together at key moments or when we need a push. There could be some movement between the top two lines and some double shifting. Hall, like Eichel, generally gets extra ice time. 

At the end of the day, I think Jeff Skinner is the type of player that wants to win.  He got his term and AAV so he's set in terms of that regard, at this point I'm sure he wants to win.  He has a chance to play with a former teammate who can produce.   

• 2 months later...
1 minute ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Can’t wait to see who his line mates are. I see some people are assuming Hall and Jack play together, but I had thought that Hall and Skinner would be a thing. 

Hall and Skinner both play LW pretty much exclusively.  So I doubt we see them together.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.