Jump to content

Around the NHL: 2021


Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, Claude Balls said:

Love John Scott, but this sounds crazy coming from a guy that tried to rag doll Phil Kessel back in the day. 

Yeah, he tried to fight Kessel one time.  And Kessel hit with a hockey stick swung like a baseball bat, a couple times.  Which of the two did a more crazy thing?

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

 

 

 

NYR tossing the gauntlet down. 

 

This is ridiculous.

If you watch the replay slowly, Panarin is the aggressor, he jumps on Wilson's back who stands up and receives a face wash and stick rake to the face while trying to push Panarin off of him.    They both fall to the ice together, largely because Wilson simply overpowers him... hell, he's practically twice his size.    What did Panarin think was going to happen?!

Panarin does NOT hit his head on the ice when they fall.    At that point Wilson is on top of him and easily could have clubbed him in the head repeatedly but he holds back, and instead gives him a casual facewash and stands back up.   Meanwhile Panarin continues to reach for Wilson and tries to stand back up but Wilson pushes him back to the ice. 

It was dumb for Panarin to engage with Wilson a big powerful guy who can dominate him physically.     Wilson held back, he could've really tuned him up, and with Panarin being the aggressor I don't see why a suspension is necessary.   

 

EDIT:  I see the fine was for his punch on Buchnevich,  I'm ok with that, it was unnecessary and reckless.

 

Edited by pi2000
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

 

This is ridiculous.

If you watch the replay slowly, Panarin is the aggressor, he jumps on Wilson's back who stands up and receives a face wash and stick rake to the face while trying to push Panarin off of him.    They both fall to the ice together, largely because Wilson simply overpowers him... hell, he's practically twice his size.    What did Panarin think was going to happen?!

Panarin does NOT hit his head on the ice when they fall.    At that point Wilson is on top of him and easily could have clubbed him in the head repeatedly but he holds back, and instead gives him a casual facewash and stands back up.   Meanwhile Panarin continues to reach for Wilson and tries to stand back up but Wilson pushes him back to the ice. 

 

You sure about ... any of that?

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

 

Watch in slow mo starting from 15s in... his head does not touch the ice, he lands on his shoulder.

So maybe Tom Wilson got lucky that a helmetless player he dumps by pulling on his hair didn't end up with a major head injury - big win there.

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Hoss said:

So maybe Tom Wilson got lucky that a helmetless player he dumps by pulling on his hair didn't end up with a major head injury - big win there.

Maybe a 170lb Panarin shouldn't engage a 220lb Tom Wilson as being completely overpowered in a scrap could result in injury.    If somebody much smaller than you is attacking you, your first instinct is to throw them on the ground.

Edited by pi2000
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, pi2000 said:

Maybe a 170lb Panarin shouldn't engage a 220lb Tom Wilson as being completely overpowered in a scrap could result in injury.    If somebody much smaller than you is attacking you, your first instinct is to throw them on the ground.

And yet we all talk about how a group of players on the ice when a dirty incident occurs are supposed to man up and handle it.  You can’t have it both ways.

  • Like (+1) 5
  • Thanks (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Taro T said:

Well, 2 things.

1.  When Lucic was talking w/ Calgary as they were evaluating whether to pull the trigger on the Neal trade, he agreed then that he would waive his NTC at the appropriate time specifically for the Seattle draft.  Good for him for honoring his verbal commitment.

2.  We don't know that Adams has asked Skinner to waive his NMC for the Seattle draft (which is still a couple of months away) nor that Skinner won't waive it to help the team he's stuck with & is stuck with him for another 6 years possibly ice a slightly better team next year than it will without him waiving the NMC.

Totally agreed...good points. I think we can agree that Seattle will not take Lucic but who knows maybe they would take a chance on Skinner. I am actually hoping if we get a healthy Jack back next year maybe Skinner and him can click as they did a few years back. heck if Skinner even scores 20 goals playing with Jack that would be a huge help for sure.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, pi2000 said:

 

This is ridiculous.

If you watch the replay slowly, Panarin is the aggressor, he jumps on Wilson's back who stands up and receives a face wash and stick rake to the face while trying to push Panarin off of him.    They both fall to the ice together, largely because Wilson simply overpowers him... hell, he's practically twice his size.    What did Panarin think was going to happen?!

Panarin does NOT hit his head on the ice when they fall.    At that point Wilson is on top of him and easily could have clubbed him in the head repeatedly but he holds back, and instead gives him a casual facewash and stands back up.   Meanwhile Panarin continues to reach for Wilson and tries to stand back up but Wilson pushes him back to the ice. 

It was dumb for Panarin to engage with Wilson a big powerful guy who can dominate him physically.     Wilson held back, he could've really tuned him up, and with Panarin being the aggressor I don't see why a suspension is necessary.   

 

EDIT:  I see the fine was for his punch on Buchnevich,  I'm ok with that, it was unnecessary and reckless.

 

The slow motion video of the assault, yes, assault, on Bosch is the catalyst that entered Panarin into the fray. I mean, Wilson clearly has his stick around the throat while punching the guy in the head, shoulder near the head. There is 0 justification for that, just 0.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, pi2000 said:

Maybe a 170lb Panarin shouldn't engage a 220lb Tom Wilson as being completely overpowered in a scrap could result in injury.    If somebody much smaller than you is attacking you, your first instinct is to throw them on the ground.

Right.  He shouldn't stand up for his teammate.

Another hot take from pi.

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, LabattBlue said:


 

Anyone still want to defend Bettman?   He is a joke of a commissioner. 

For the folks out there who still think this is partly on the players' association:  It is Bettman and the league who appointed Parros as director of player safety.  And that's why this is on the league.  It's a classic case of putting the fox in charge of the henhouse.

Edited by Eleven
  • Like (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, pi2000 said:

Maybe a 170lb Panarin shouldn't engage a 220lb Tom Wilson as being completely overpowered in a scrap could result in injury.    If somebody much smaller than you is attacking you, your first instinct is to throw them on the ground.

You know what is funny about this? If it were the Sabres and 170lb whoever didn't jump in to defend someone being punched in the head on the ice you would start complaining in every thread about how soft that player is and by extension the team. 

  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I see that the two teams play again tonight...on Sportsnet last night they were pretty enraged and openly ran down the NHL for allowing this kind of garbage from a known problem-child. They also talked of the "code" that use to exist whereby if Wilson did that say 10 years ago he'd have to answer to Scott Domi or whoever. Now he clearly fears no one out there and knows he can pretty-much do as he wishes. They had on Anthony Stewart who admitted that players thought differently when they knew they had to answer for their actions.  They also said that some are trying to say that it wasn't that bad but how is it then that Parnarin is out for the remainder of the season? He clearly got hurt on the play. And this was not a fight in that sense of the word. Could be an interesting game tonight. Rangers have nothing to play for but pride...

 

https://www.facebook.com/HockeyInstigators/videos/184594830175804

Edited by Sabre fan
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Eleven said:

Right.  He shouldn't stand up for his teammate.

Another hot take from pi.

 

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

You know what is funny about this? If it were the Sabres and 170lb whoever didn't jump in to defend someone being punched in the head on the ice you would start complaining in every thread about how soft that player is and by extension the team. 

I've never advocated for a player to "stand up" for a teammate if he's not physically capable.   

Cozens is a big boy, he can handle himself.   If Bryson went after Wilson? Well thats just stupidity. 

Panarin wasn't even near Wilson when he punched Buchnevich in the head, it was Strome who jumped in and pulled him off.

Panarin was actually 3rd man in on the Wilson/Strome melee.  He had no business getting involved.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sabre fan said:

I see that the two teams play again tonight...on Sportsnet last night they were pretty enraged and openly ran down the NHL for allowing this kind of garbage from a known problem-child. They also talked of the "code" that use to exist whereby if Wilson did that say 10 years ago he'd have to answer to Scott Domi or whoever. Now he clearly fears no one out there and knows he can pretty-much do as he wishes. They had on Anthony Stewart who admitted that players thought differently when they knew they had to answer for their actions.  They also said that some are trying to say that it wasn't that bad but how is it then that Parnarin is out for the remainder of the season? He clearly got hurt on the play. And this was not a fight in that sense of the word. Could be an interesting game tonight. Rangers have nothing to play for but pride...

 

https://www.facebook.com/HockeyInstigators/videos/184594830175804

We don't need goon retaliation if the league would do it's job. They allow it because the players association and the league can't police it. These fines are a joke. Long suspensions should impact players financially or they won't do any good. This is a league problem and shouldn't have to depend on players retaliation.

  • Like (+1) 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

You know what is funny about this? If it were the Sabres and 170lb whoever didn't jump in to defend someone being punched in the head on the ice you would start complaining in every thread about how soft that player is and by extension the team. 

This is personal narrative pushing nonsense. Are the Sabres soft? Absolutely. Does anyone think Bryson should fight Wilson (for example) absolutely not. But should we have people capable of taking him on? Absolutely. 

If we do not address the softness issue it will become our achilles if the day comes that we get skilled enough to actually win games and have opposing teams take us seriously. It is far better to build with that element as part of the roster so that the team bonds and players feel secure and get braver. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Wilson should be suspended for sucker punching Buchnevich while he was face down on the ice in no position to protect himself. The Panarin nonsense is gravy for that suspension. Pulling a guys hair and dunking a player 50 pounds lighter than you is weak sauce. Wilson could have just as easily held Panarin off and they could have danced. I say that based on the fact that Wilson stood up with Panarin on his back and had absolutely no difficulty maintaining his balance and maneuvering Panarin around to the front. He wanted that situation to go to the ice and it did. The fact that Wilson could have them pummeled Panarin to death and chose not to doesn't make all of the previous conduct for a chronic offender acceptable or not suspension worthy. I don't know if Panarin hit his head in the ice or if he just separated his shoulder or broke his clavicle. I dont care. Wilson is a turd and he keeps getting enabled to be a turd. He's the modern Dale Hunter. 

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

This is personal narrative pushing nonsense. Are the Sabres soft? Absolutely. Does anyone think Bryson should fight Wilson (for example) absolutely not. But should we have people capable of taking him on? Absolutely. 

If we do not address the softness issue it will become our achilles if the day comes that we get skilled enough to actually win games and have opposing teams take us seriously. It is far better to build with that element as part of the roster so that the team bonds and players feel secure and get braver. 

If the league isn't going to do its job you have to have people to handle it so your stars don't get involved. It's clear the league isn't going to do its job so if you aren't putting someone on the ice to deal with Wilson then what do you expect? This isn't Sunday School and turning the other cheek doesn't work. If the league isn't going to take action against ridiculous acts of violence then my team needs to be capable of responding in kind. Nobody WANTS that but what other option is there? The guy isn't going to stop. The caps aren't going to stop playing him. The league isn't going to take action. You either deal with it yourself or you sit by and watch while your players get taken out by dirty play. Those are your options.

  • Like (+1) 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...