Around the NHL: 2021

WildCard

Lebrun reporting the PL Dubois won’t be coming to camp in Columbus and he’s hearing that he might be looking for a change of scenery, before adding that might just be wishful thinking.

He’d be the long-term solution at 2C. Cozens would almost certainly need to be on the table to get into that conversation.

On a more realistic note, the Dubois contract may factor into our chances of acquiring Korpisalo.

Edited by dudacek

11 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

This is what I wonder too. Chara was going for low money and you'd think one more (short) season to plug the holes and provide leadership but I guess they are high on some of their youth. Maybe Kevan Miller is actually fully rehab'ed and ready to go? Either that or maybe Vaakaneinen is ready to step up. Don't know enough about them. 

I think they have hopes for Vaakaneinen, but It would seem at least for this year, he is going to be a big step back from even an aging Chara.

From what I have read of him and followed him a bit, he looks to be a 2nd pairing guy eventually, but not now. He skates good (not great), and doesn't have a glaring weakness, but he isn't exceptional at anything either. Not a big points guy...not a physical guy...just an above average skater that you think will make good decisions in his own end.

I really don't know what else they even have in mind back there.

I used to live near Boston for a few years...so I still try to follow the Bruins after being exposed to them for so long...The thing I find interesting is the opinion of Bruins fans now (and even the media, I pick up a bit when listening to WEEI when in the area...).  Right now they are convinced Charlie McAvoy is not just good, but Norris trophy good...as in they expect him to be at least a finalist for the award.  He's good, I'm just not sure I'd put him in that category yet.

46 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

I used to live near Boston for a few years...so I still try to follow the Bruins after being exposed to them for so long...The thing I find interesting is the opinion of Bruins fans now (and even the media, I pick up a bit when listening to WEEI when in the area...).  Right now they are convinced Charlie McAvoy is not just good, but Norris trophy good...as in they expect him to be at least a finalist for the award.  He's good, I'm just not sure I'd put him in that category yet.

Interesting.  I don’t necessarily thing he is that good, but with the departure of Krug, I think McAvoy will put up a shocking number of points.  Like 45-50 points in a 56 game season.

12 minutes ago, Curt said:

Interesting.  I don’t necessarily thing he is that good, but with the departure of Krug, I think McAvoy will put up a shocking number of points.  Like 45-50 points in a 56 game season.

With no Krug nor Chara, McAvoy is going to have to be THE guy on the back end for them.  Don't know that he'll be able to get close to that not having those 2 available to take heavy minutes and lighten his load and not having the Rat faced git nor Pasternak to start the year.  Those 2 will be back, but how soon will be a big factor inntbat team's overall offense. 

That's 65-73 points in a year when you'd only get 12 games against a patsy (Joisey games scaled up).  Hoping you're wrong, 'cause the B's will be real tough if he's playing that well.

1 hour ago, Scottysabres said:

I don't like Seattle in the NHL anyways, that town just doesn't have the right "feel" for an NHL town.

As a Seattle representative (not born here, but here more than long enough to call it home), I'm not sure what you mean. This is an excellent sports town, an area that supports two WHL teams nicely, and is dying for a winter team to follow. This is a sports-base that sends 40,000 to every home soccer game (when there's not a global pandemic), but really wants something with a little more tenacity and hitting.

Also, Seattle is building a multi-rink practice center with light rail access to downtown/KeyArena and the airport and has two WHL rinks within 30 minutes in either direction (Kent - Seattle Thunderbirds; Everett - Everett Silvertips). They're going to start taking Buffalo's World Juniors and other American hockey events in short order.

This fan base is about to unleash on the Americas. (Also, we're all transplants from other areas, so we also get that Vegas --- the Sabres on a Tuesday night? It's packed! crowd. You'll be amazed.

1 hour ago, sabresparaavida said:

No, it just means they’re gonna take one of our RD.

We can always hope that JBot reallllllly loves Skinner and Skinner waives his NMC. But yes, Borgen is gone at this point because Montour will be UFA.

• Like (+1) 2