Around the NHL: 2021

WildCard

On 2/17/2021 at 12:17 AM, Zamboni said:

I find it funny when Sabre fans think the ol “kick over a garbage can, get 2 inches from a players face and scream and yell” coaching method still exists in the NHL. It doesn’t. And very few players would respond in a positive manner even IF a coach like that existed. And pointing to any currently employed coach who had a reputation of that method 10-15 years ago doesn’t mean he automatically still does it in 2021. Or a coach who was a tough SOB in his playing days doesn’t automatically make him a mean ol SOB as a coach in 2021.

I know that’s a fun nostalgic thing to reminisce of days gone by. Hell I miss that too! But it’s gone, and not coming back. No matter how hard one wishes, hopes and dreams it would.

And any “hard-nosed” experienced coach isn’t something the Pegulas want. If they did, the last two coaches and two GM hires, wouldn’t have happened.

Lastly, I’m not saying there aren’t potentially better owners itching to own an NHL franchise. But there are most likely many who absolutely suck way more than the Pegulas. I’m personally apprehensive about rolling that dice. Because the retort of “how can it get any worse blah blah” is a non answer void of critical thinking and logic. And just filled with emotion.

Stop exaggerating.  Lots of fiery coaches still in the league.  Lots of players respond to tough but fair treatment. 

The Pegula’s told us the Sabres reason for existence was to win Stanley Cups but they don’t have a clue on how to do it.  How many more years of terrible hockey must we endure? 

35 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Stop exaggerating.  Lots of fiery coaches still in the league.  Lots of players respond to tough but fair treatment. 

The Pegula’s told us the Sabres reason for existence was to win Stanley Cups but they don’t have a clue on how to do it.  How many more years of terrible hockey must we endure? 

Fiery? 😂

I would put no coach in the modern era in that category. Grumpy? Sure. Colic-y? Sure ok.

How many more terrible years of hockey must YOU endure? 😂

I’m in it for the long haul. As a lot of us 40, 50, 60+ diehards have been. And you are and will continue to be too.

4 hours ago, Zamboni said:

Fiery? 😂

I would put no coach in the modern era in that category. Grumpy? Sure. Colic-y? Sure ok.

I'll put Ruff, Trotz and Tortorella there, and that's just off of the top of my head.  Maybe you'd call them colicky instead.

5 hours ago, Eleven said:

I'll put Ruff, Trotz and Tortorella there, and that's just off of the top of my head.  Maybe you'd call them colicky instead.

Add Quennville in there. 

Guys like Brind'amour and Cassidy aren't old cranky grumps but they demand hard work and don't take any crap either. You get benched fast if you don't give effort with them. 

On 2/18/2021 at 5:09 PM, #freejame said:

Colorado is about to go on another run like they had in the late 90s and early aughts. Their current squad is already a force and their prospect pool is stacked. Joe Sakic seems to really know what he’s doing. 

What is really sad is....a few years ago the Sabres were looking like the team that could possibly do this.  With all those draft picks, the cap space. I mean, they weren't on the verge of doing it, but they were in position...they had things lined up for the potential.  Not only did they not, but it has gone horribly, horribly wrong.  No big run here, they can't even sniff the last spot in the playoffs.

1 hour ago, pi2000 said:

can't see them finishing this game in Tahoe, the ice is a disaster.    

brilliant idea to use dark paint under the ice for a day game, smh.

they don't appear to have lights, so they're screwed.

They have lights and apparently will play it at 9pm (midnight Buffalo time). So pretty much a disaster. 

I decided to take a look at the outdoor game feed on NHL.tv. It is really pretty, it's fun to hear about how awesome the ice is and how well the NHL did everything in the introduction promo...   Then see the ice deterioration, hear the lack of crowd noise, and check out the overnight game.   And the feed is 10 hours long! I am really curious what will happen in those hours and hours....