Around the NHL: 2021

WildCard

5 hours ago, LaPerreausek said:

You're name looks familiar from Hfboards

I’ve never been on there. My understanding is Jame came from there though. 

5 hours ago, LaPerreausek said:

You're name looks familiar from Hfboards

I’ve never been on there. My understanding is Jame came from there though. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SwampD said:

I can honestly say that now that the Sabres aren't playing, the only games I have any interest in watching are the Canadian division games.

Can't figure out why.

Watching a lot of Montreal games myself.  Does anyone remember that Marc Bergevin was fighting for his job only a year and a half ago?  They struggled early in 2019/2020 including a six game losing streak but since then they have improved each month and now look like a contender.  The top six is phenomenal.  Off-season acquisitions of Anderson and Tafoli have early returns. They have 8 and 9 goals respectively.   He signed Gallagher to a reasonable extension.  His trade of Max for Tatar,Suzuki plus a second round pick is paying dividends. Suzuki alone looks like a win.  Joel Edmondson (5th) has made Mete expendable. He swindled JB in the Scandella deal, earning an extra second round pick from Stl.   And the trade for Allen (3rd)  seemed questionable this summer, when they already had Price but they seem committed to lightening the load of Price.  I believe he is 4-1 with a GAA under 2 and a save percentage north of .930.  Imagine having a back up goalie playing lights out.  Kevyn, are you paying attention?

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Anyone else feel the league is calling way too many ticky tacky nothing penalties this year? Every game I've watched lately there seem to be a bunch of nothing penalties. Not sure if it's intentional or just bad refs in this whole thing. 

They have been pretty clear about putting your stick on another player.  They are calling it.  What we have all come to accept as “a good hockey play” is now being called slashing, hooking and holding.  I’d much rather have it this way.  It makes for a cleaner game and more entertaining product.  

It just occurred to me that I haven't watched a second of hockey since the Sabres got shut down, and haven't even had a thought about doing so even though I usually would and am paying for the ability to watch literally every game.  

I may be pulling an RoR and losing my love for the game, I dunno...

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Sabel79 said:

It just occurred to me that I haven't watched a second of hockey since the Sabres got shut down, and haven't even had a thought about doing so even though I usually would and am paying for the ability to watch literally every game.  

I may be pulling an RoR and losing my love for the game, I dunno...

I can't remember the last time I watched another team play.  I need an intervention.

On 2/6/2021 at 7:32 PM, SwampD said:

I can honestly say that now that the Sabres aren't playing, the only games I have any interest in watching are the Canadian division games.

Can't figure out why.

Same. McDavid for one reason. Interested in the fate of Sabres rivals (Leafs, Canadians), especially with the enormous pressure on Toronto. Ottawa is young/entertaining, has nothing to lose.  Vancouver suffers as bad as we do w/ no cup and has an interesting roster (pettersson, hughes).  And anything produced by Hockey Night in Canada team is 50x better than nbcsn.

• Like (+1) 2

13 hours ago, Getpucksdeep said:

Same. McDavid for one reason. Interested in the fate of Sabres rivals (Leafs, Canadians), especially with the enormous pressure on Toronto. Ottawa is young/entertaining, has nothing to lose.  Vancouver suffers as bad as we do w/ no cup and has an interesting roster (pettersson, hughes).  And anything produced by Hockey Night in Canada team is 50x better than nbcsn.

Is it though?  The additions of Bieksa and “Stewy”  have brought the quality down in my opinion.  Also not a fan of Burke at all. McClean is a treasure, and Elliott is always good.  NBC is stepping up its game.  I think Sharp, Anson and Jones are solid in studio, and while play by play is lacking on NBC, the color commentators Brian Bouche and Eddie Olczyk are better than DeBrusk and Simpson. I like McGuire, but I can see others not appreciating his style.   HNIC still has that certain something, but the margin is slimmer than you suggest.

Edited by Broken Ankles
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Broken Ankles said:

Is it though?  The additions of Bieksa and “Stewy”  have brought the quality down in my opinion.  Also not a fan of Burke at all. McClean is a treasure, and Elliott is always good.  NBC is stepping up its game.  I think Sharp, Anson and Jones are solid in studio, and while play by play is lacking on NBC, the color commentators Brian Bouche and Eddie Olczyk are better than DeBrusk and Simpson. I like McGuire, but I can others not appreciating his style.   HNIC still has that certain something, but the margin is slimmer than you suggest.

Stewy was obviously a diversity hire. Lucky timing for him. Adds nothing else to the broadcast. I like Burke though. You need an old school cranky guy in the mix and he plays that role well. Also seems to be the only guy who agrees with me on too many lame penalties being called 🙂  I also like McGuire, but he says "monster" too often. Can't stand Alpert when he does the NBC games. His voice just bugs me. 

I think the hockey in the Canadian division might be a little more intense overall, but that might just be because they have both Tkachuks. 

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Broken Ankles said:

Is it though?  The additions of Bieksa and “Stewy”  have brought the quality down in my opinion.  Also not a fan of Burke at all. McClean is a treasure, and Elliott is always good.  NBC is stepping up its game.  I think Sharp, Anson and Jones are solid in studio, and while play by play is lacking on NBC, the color commentators Brian Bouche and Eddie Olczyk are better than DeBrusk and Simpson. I like McGuire, but I can others not appreciating his style.   HNIC still has that certain something, but the margin is slimmer than you suggest.

Agree re: Burke and Elliot. Ferraro and McClean are fantastic and with NHL package I'm getting to know the locals more now as well which is fun (ottawa, montreal). And yeah I probably have an unhealthy hatred of Pierre. Just overall it feels like (as I suppose it is) NFL/MNF in USA level of significance vs NBCSN which as we just learned is getting tossed aside next year with out much of a notice by the rest of the world. 

3 hours ago, Getpucksdeep said:

Agree re: Burke and Elliot. Ferraro and McClean are fantastic and with NHL package I'm getting to know the locals more now as well which is fun (ottawa, montreal). And yeah I probably have an unhealthy hatred of Pierre. Just overall it feels like (as I suppose it is) NFL/MNF in USA level of significance vs NBCSN which as we just learned is getting tossed aside next year with out much of a notice by the rest of the world. 

NBCSN is going away not the NBC coverage of hockey however.

HNIC is not its own channel, in that regard the "national" broadcast of an NHL game on NBCSN (or USA or Peacock) will still be that national equivalent.  But its produced to an American audience, so its going to be more like other sports which, to me, means less in depth information and more high level blah blah blah because people in the US prefer that.

Play by play and analysts are very much a preferential thing... can't wade too much into it.

• Like (+1) 1

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/30857842/nhl-admits-carolina-hurricanes-goal-vs-columbus-blue-jackets-not-counted

Can someone explain if the challenge by Torts was ultimately held to be correct, how was the goal allowed to stand?  Why didn't they just take the goal of the board, play 1:15 left in the second and then start the 3rd period.  

The NHL never misses an opportunity to miss an an opportunity. 

• Like (+1) 1

In the North tonight we have Leafs vs Canucks at 7pm w/ Vancouver desperate for a win after dropping 4 in a row, and 2 consecutive against Toronto.  

And we have Oilers vs Sens starting a back to back.  We get McDavid at 7pm tonight, tomorrow and Thursday this week before they go back to pacific time.  

3 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/30857842/nhl-admits-carolina-hurricanes-goal-vs-columbus-blue-jackets-not-counted

Can someone explain if the challenge by Torts was ultimately held to be correct, how was the goal allowed to stand?  Why didn't they just take the goal of the board, play 1:15 left in the second and then start the 3rd period.  

A mix of COVID protocols restricting communication, an overzealous intern speaking out of turn, and an NHL that had never before been faced with that specific situation of a challenge being rejected a goal awarded and play resuming, and didn’t know what to do.

Great write-up in the Athletic on it.

35 minutes ago, dudacek said:

A mix of COVID protocols restricting communication, an overzealous intern speaking out of turn, and an NHL that had never before been faced with that specific situation of a challenge being rejected a goal awarded and play resuming, and didn’t know what to do.

Great write-up in the Athletic on it.

As usual their solution was stupid and incompetent.  How do you uphold the challenge but allow the goal.  It makes no sense.  How do you uphold the challenge and allow 1:15 of PP time but then eliminate 45 seconds of PP time.  There was only one solution.  You try to put CBJ back into the situation before the mistake.  Tie game with 1:15 left in the 2nd period and go from there.  Torts has every right to be furious.  

Their excuse that their was no precedent for reversing the ruling is BS.  Since they admit they never ruled good goal, then they aren't overruling, but simply correcting a communications mistake.  

If they had any guts (which they don't), they'd strike the goal and allow the teams to skate a 5 minute OT and SO if necessary then next time they play.  This is the only equitable solution.

There is also precedent for stopping a game.  If a goal is scored and play continues, the video review office can stop the play, award the goal, and then resume play with the clock reset to the time the goal was scored.  

Colin Campbell should also be fired for his failure to create a "precedent" and find the correct and equitable solution.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I think it was best explained on TSN's That's Hockey, where they said just another example of how the NHL doesn't treat small market teams as well as their big market counterparts.   Which, we all know is true. 

• Like (+1) 1