Around the NHL: 2021

WildCard

1 minute ago, PerreaultForever said:

Maybe Adams' boss has had enough of Jack? We don't know, but maybe they feel they have a way to move this thing forward (dead last now so only one direction......) and they can later point to Jack as the goat? 

In any event, the talk from Adams about a team first attitude is the right way to go, and any step backwards into a team for this star or that star would be a bad idea. 

I agree. If it's a hardliners stance for the Eichel camp, and really even if he hinted he wants out, then I say they have to deal him. I'd take the best deal but only if it makes sense for the team, not because the player wants to go somewhere or a deal is there to be had. It needs to move the needle forward in Buffalo. 

Once Jack Eichel leaves the Buffalo Sabres, unless it's in retirement, he'll be done to me.

Out of sight, out of mind. Good luck and good bye. 

• Like (+1) 2

38 minutes ago, Norcal said:

I don't think he'll want to make a deal that could potentially help both clubs, he'll want to win and the Sabres need to win the Eichel deal. 

So if you need to win it anyway, might as well win it against a team that you'll benefit even more from by making worse. If you lose it, you are cooked anyways.

They are pot-committed. 

30 minutes ago, Curt said:

Was going to say the same thing.  I’m sick of thinking Buffalo needs to pander to individual players.  Do what’s best for the team!

A lot of the twitter-rangers fan heavily dislikes quinn. He's not liked by the metrics guys, i believe 

Now that some underachieving teams like the Rangers, Coyotes, Blue Jackets etc. have fired their coaches, I'm afraid the Sabres are going to miss out on some teriffic experienced coaches like Boudreau and Gallant. The Rangers are already talking about Gallant. Buffalo's dumb management either pulls the trigger too fast or not at all. 

26 minutes ago, Kong said:

Now that some underachieving teams like the Rangers, Coyotes, Blue Jackets etc. have fired their coaches, I'm afraid the Sabres are going to miss out on some teriffic experienced coaches like Boudreau and Gallant. The Rangers are already talking about Gallant. Buffalo's dumb management either pulls the trigger too fast or not at all. 

True, but you have to realize a lot of those guys wouldn't make Buffalo first choice (unless maybe they got a ton of cash and a long deal which I doubt TP would go for). I mean really, if you were Gallant would you rather go to a huge market like NY with a young team that almost hit their stride already this year or come to Buffalo and ? ? ? (as in not sure where things will stand and what will happen). 

The interesting hire to me will be Columbus. They have lauded Torts and given him testimonials so after that what direction are they thinking? It's a strange situation. 

1 minute ago, Hoss said:

This could easily go in the things that are AWESOME thread.

That is awesome.  I'm still dumbfounded that a player could break that record in today's game. It's really something to look at in awe and respect.

9 hours ago, Hoss said:

This could easily go in the things that are AWESOME thread.

Not really.  A stick like that is nearly worthless in today's game.  Marleau would be better off with the stick he had.

• Haha (+1) 2

11 hours ago, Kong said:

It actually does seem as though we are doing a thorough search this time, if I had to guess. If the trade off is we miss out on someone, I'll still take it - that mentality from Adams will serve us well in the long run 

12 hours ago, Kong said:

I take Adams at face value when he says he wants to interview as many people as possible to see what he can learn.

I suspect he has his eye on a few people under contract and will want to see what shakes loose after the playoffs.

Also, he may feel somewhat comfortable with Donnie as a fallback and rank him ahead of some of the people already out there.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Avalanche finished last overall 4 seasons ago - won the president's trophy this season

That would be like us winning it next season. I guess our rebuild has taken a tad longer. 

You know what they didn’t do? They didn’t say, “We need to trade Nathan McKinnon. It’s his 5th year and we just can’t win with him.”

• Thanks (+1) 3

8 hours ago, Norcal said:

JJ brings it home for the Avalanche lol.

Seriously it's not fair the Avalanche have two of the best throwback jerseys ever in the Nordiques and Rockies. 

I know that Johansson had not shown much in his NHL time prior to him being traded to the Avalanche.  Also, I understand he is possibly a UFA at season end due to games played (?). He did struggle in games played behind a bad Sabres team.  Still, he was a 3rd round pick, is only 25, had progressed through our system while having success in the minors. 

To trade him in a pandemic year when teams like Colorado were desperate for warm-bodied goalies, for only a 6th round pick was not a strong move.

I don't think this is the case, but there is something about the Johansson deal that feels like it was a "favour". Colorado is a team that will need to expose multiple legitimate NHL players in the expansion draft.  I'm not saying that Johansson is worth a Donskoi or a Graves, but maybe it gives us 1st shot at picking up an asset for a reasonable price.

Rangers have been granted permission to speak with Gerard Gallant re: their vacant coaching position, per Dreger.

Has Adams sought permission to speak with anyone at this stage? Does the "thorough" search involve analysis and interview or just the passage of time?

Edited by Thorny

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

Rangers have been granted permission to speak with Gerard Gallant re: their vacant coaching position, per Dreger.

Has Adams been sought permission to speak with anyone at this stage? 

Don't know if he has or hasn't. Gallant would go Rangers before Sabres I think.

1 minute ago, Radar said:

Don't know if he has or hasn't. Gallant would go Rangers before Sabres I think.

Considering Dreger reported on the request, I'm guessing we'd have heard about it if Adams did, too 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

Considering Dreger reported on the request, I'm guessing we'd have heard about it if Adams did, too 

I think they will stick with Granato for a few reasons. I think he's handled the young players well. He did as much with a depleted squad that was out of the playoff run that I think realistically one could expect. Lastly, we're also paying RK handsomely. As much as fans want experience there's logical and reasonable reasons for retaining Granato. In the end selling this team to fans is more to do with what our front office does than the excitement over the new coach.

36 minutes ago, SwampD said:

You know what they didn’t do? They didn’t say, “We need to trade Nathan McKinnon. It’s his 5th year and we just can’t win with him.”

However, they did trade ROR for a cast of supporting players to help build around for the next few seasons while MacKinnon developed (and they drafted other studs). Maybe Eichel is the ROR and Cozens is the MacKinnon. (Play style-wise they're likely reversed.)

47 minutes ago, Thorny said:

My expectation as well.

Which most likely means Adams has already settled in on keeping Granato and we're about to see the same exhaustive coaching search the Sabres went through prior to taking the interim label off Rolston (who also was quite experienced at coaching young players, had a brother that played in the NHL, and had the team playing better & looser while wearing that interim label than his predecessor had the team playing; hopefully that's it for the similarities).  Suppose it could be they want to wait until they've figured out if the relationship with Eichel is mendable to decide which direction to go for the next head coach, which would be disappointing as good candidates will be gone before that process is completed.

3rd possibility is that the Sabres don't want Gallant due to his reputation of being a guy that's a PITA for his bosses.

Would not hate having Granato back but if it's because they've already made up their mind, it would flash HUGE warning signs.

• Like (+1) 1