Around the NHL: 2021

WildCard

1 hour ago, Claude Balls said:

Love John Scott, but this sounds crazy coming from a guy that tried to rag doll Phil Kessel back in the day. 

Kessel did swing his purse at him though

• Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

$5,000 fine ... yikes. That’s bad.

Considering his history and his actions in the game against the Rangers, this is flat out embarrassing for the NHL, and why they continue to be a Mickey Mouse league.   

They should not even be considered on par with the other big 3 NA sports leagues. 

Anyone still want to defend Bettman?   He is a joke of a commissioner. 

16 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Considering his history and his actions in the game against the Rangers, this is flat out embarrassing for the NHL, and why they continue to be a Mickey Mouse league.   

They should not even be considered on par with the other big 3 NA sports leagues. 

Anyone still want to defend Bettman?   He is a joke of a commissioner. 

Agree.

it’s not Bettman...

19 hours ago, Andrew Amerk said:

Tom Wilson was doing things that hockey still allows, and was trying to get his team fired up. 

Ill take one or two of them on the Sabres for next season, please. 

I like thuggery as much as the next guy.  What Wilson did was assault.  He does that outside of a rink, he’s in jail.  Quite frankly, he still should be.  He could have permanently disabled both players or worse.  I don’t have room for that in my conscience.  You have kids?  You want some maniac 50lbs heavier than than slamming their heads on the ground because they are trying to do their job?  

Edited by inkman
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

They're not are they? Maybe in Canada, but not in the U.S. 

To me this is not very different from the Todd Bertuzzi incident. That was a punch from behind, but in both cases it's head into the ice with weight behind it. This one could have resulted in a similar career ending. 

56 minutes ago, Sabre fan said:

just heard Lucic did Calgary a big favour and waived his NMC...too bad Skinner would not do the same

So do you correct yourself if he does agree to waive it or do you continue to randomly say things without any direct knowledge?

53 minutes ago, Sabre fan said:

just heard Lucic did Calgary a big favour and waived his NMC...too bad Skinner would not do the same

Well, 2 things.

1.  When Lucic was talking w/ Calgary as they were evaluating whether to pull the trigger on the Neal trade, he agreed then that he would waive his NTC at the appropriate time specifically for the Seattle draft.  Good for him for honoring his verbal commitment.

2.  We don't know that Adams has asked Skinner to waive his NMC for the Seattle draft (which is still a couple of months away) nor that Skinner won't waive it to help the team he's stuck with & is stuck with him for another 6 years possibly ice a slightly better team next year than it will without him waiving the NMC.

• Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, inkman said:

I like thuggery as much as the next guy.  What Wilson did was assault.  He does that outside of a rink, he’s in jail.  Quite frankly, he still should be.  He could have permanently disabled both players or worse.  I don’t have room for that in my conscious.  You have kids?  You want some maniac 50lbs heavier than than slamming their heads on the ground because they are trying to do their job?  

Should have been his last game this season at least.

5 hours ago, Claude Balls said:

Love John Scott, but this sounds crazy coming from a guy that tried to rag doll Phil Kessel back in the day. 

Yeah, he tried to fight Kessel one time.  And Kessel hit with a hockey stick swung like a baseball bat, a couple times.  Which of the two did a more crazy thing?

6 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

NYR tossing the gauntlet down. 

This is ridiculous.

If you watch the replay slowly, Panarin is the aggressor, he jumps on Wilson's back who stands up and receives a face wash and stick rake to the face while trying to push Panarin off of him.    They both fall to the ice together, largely because Wilson simply overpowers him... hell, he's practically twice his size.    What did Panarin think was going to happen?!

Panarin does NOT hit his head on the ice when they fall.    At that point Wilson is on top of him and easily could have clubbed him in the head repeatedly but he holds back, and instead gives him a casual facewash and stands back up.   Meanwhile Panarin continues to reach for Wilson and tries to stand back up but Wilson pushes him back to the ice. 

It was dumb for Panarin to engage with Wilson a big powerful guy who can dominate him physically.     Wilson held back, he could've really tuned him up, and with Panarin being the aggressor I don't see why a suspension is necessary.   

EDIT:  I see the fine was for his punch on Buchnevich,  I'm ok with that, it was unnecessary and reckless.

Edited by pi2000

10 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

This is ridiculous.

If you watch the replay slowly, Panarin is the aggressor, he jumps on Wilson's back who stands up and receives a face wash and stick rake to the face while trying to push Panarin off of him.    They both fall to the ice together, largely because Wilson simply overpowers him... hell, he's practically twice his size.    What did Panarin think was going to happen?!

Panarin does NOT hit his head on the ice when they fall.    At that point Wilson is on top of him and easily could have clubbed him in the head repeatedly but he holds back, and instead gives him a casual facewash and stands back up.   Meanwhile Panarin continues to reach for Wilson and tries to stand back up but Wilson pushes him back to the ice. 

You sure about ... any of that?

16 minutes ago, Hoss said:

You sure about ... any of that?

Watch in slow mo starting from 15s in... his head does not touch the ice, he lands on his shoulder.

12 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Watch in slow mo starting from 15s in... his head does not touch the ice, he lands on his shoulder.

So maybe Tom Wilson got lucky that a helmetless player he dumps by pulling on his hair didn't end up with a major head injury - big win there.

28 minutes ago, Hoss said:

So maybe Tom Wilson got lucky that a helmetless player he dumps by pulling on his hair didn't end up with a major head injury - big win there.

Maybe a 170lb Panarin shouldn't engage a 220lb Tom Wilson as being completely overpowered in a scrap could result in injury.    If somebody much smaller than you is attacking you, your first instinct is to throw them on the ground.

Edited by pi2000

4 hours ago, pi2000 said:

Maybe a 170lb Panarin shouldn't engage a 220lb Tom Wilson as being completely overpowered in a scrap could result in injury.    If somebody much smaller than you is attacking you, your first instinct is to throw them on the ground.

And yet we all talk about how a group of players on the ice when a dirty incident occurs are supposed to man up and handle it.  You can’t have it both ways.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thanks (+1) 1