Around the NHL: 2021

WildCard

15 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Also, semantics: you can still get fired for being gay. It's not legal anymore, but some people might not put up a fight.

I can, and have been fired for being a smart ass. Its not legal, but it happens.

Utopia is but a dream given human behavior

Edited by Scottysabres
  • Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

I can, and have been fired for being a smart ass. Its not legal, but it happens.

Utopia is but a dream given human behavior

It is plenty legal to fire someone for being a smart ass. Who is telling you otherwise? 

2 hours ago, #freejame said:

It is plenty legal to fire someone for being a smart ass. Who is telling you otherwise? 

The implied was non work related. 

However, if you wish to be specific, some states are "employment-at-will" states, which means that if there is no employment contract (or collective bargaining agreement), an employer can let an employee go for any reason, or no reason, with or without notice, as long as the discharge does not violate a law.

In the case of sexual orientation, Title VII clearly covers this. Only sorry it took an additional 45 years to draw clarity and get some real enforcement on equality for all citizens. But, as with any law, it's implementation is only as good as the enforcement of it. As for societal acceptance at large? There will always be those that are, shall we say, narrow minded? It is what It is, human behavior.

I've been watching more and more Av's games (McKinnion is really good.)

Their intermission crew is awesome. They are almost like an SCTV skit about what a hockey intermission would be like,… only they're real.

Freakin' hilarious.

Question about hockey rules.

There was this play by Skinner (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTRI-dCFZbc)...He had his stick slashed from his hands and went in on a breakaway, dribbling the puck with his feet going all the way down the ice. 

My question is about the minutiae...I've noticed Skinner losing his stick fairly often, especially lately. Now we know these things: 1. When a stick is slashed out of a player's hands, it's usually a penalty on the slasher. 2. When a player intentionally dives, there's a penalty for that too. I know it must be almost impossible to tell, but putting 2 and 2 together, is there a penalty for intentionally losing his stick on a weak slash? It's like an intentional dive, only faking losing the stick to draw a penalty on the slasher.

I would think that a pro hockey player would always hang on to his stick if at all possible and would be strong as hell... Have you ever heard of a penalty called for intentionally losing your stick while being lightly slashed? I know there's one for throwing the stick but how about one for faking having it slashed out of their hands. I assume it's too hard to tell and refs respond by not calling a penalty at all, on either side.

Has anyone ever seen this called? I assume if it's ever called it would be under the "Unsportsmanlike Conduct" category. Or maybe if true, they'll have to call it the Jeff Skinner Rule.

Edited by Kong

3 hours ago, Kong said:

Question about hockey rules.

There was this play by Skinner (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTRI-dCFZbc)...He had his stick slashed from his hands and went in on a breakaway, dribbling the puck with his feet going all the way down the ice. 

My question is about the minutiae...I've noticed Skinner losing his stick fairly often, especially lately. Now we know these things: 1. When a stick is slashed out of a player's hands, it's usually a penalty on the slasher. 2. When a player intentionally dives, there's a penalty for that too. I know it must be almost impossible to tell, but putting 2 and 2 together, is there a penalty for intentionally losing his stick on a weak slash? It's like an intentional dive, only faking losing the stick to draw a penalty on the slasher.

I would think that a pro hockey player would always hang on to his stick if at all possible and would be strong as hell... Have you ever heard of a penalty called for intentionally losing your stick while being lightly slashed? I know there's one for throwing the stick but how about one for faking having it slashed out of their hands. I assume it's too hard to tell and refs respond by not calling a penalty at all, on either side.

Has anyone ever seen this called? I assume if it's ever called it would be under the "Unsportsmanlike Conduct" category. Or maybe if true, they'll have to call it the Jeff Skinner Rule.

As usual, the NHL rulebook is near useless, as it's too vague and open to interpretation. How does one read the following (Rule 64 Diving/Embellishment)?

Any player or goalkeeper who blatantly dives, embellishes a fall or a reaction, or who feigns an injury shall be penalized with a minor penalty under this rule.

Is the embellishment of a reaction limited to the act of diving?

You'd think Skinner in this case, if he was faking, should get a penalty under this rule.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

As usual, the NHL rulebook is near useless, as it's too vague and open to interpretation. How does one read the following (Rule 64 Diving/Embellishment)?

Any player or goalkeeper who blatantly dives, embellishes a fall or a reaction, or who feigns an injury shall be penalized with a minor penalty under this rule.

You'd think Skinner in this case, if he was faking, should get a penalty under this rule.

I think it’s very clear, although the judgment itself will be subjective.

Any player who...

(1) blatantly dives

(2) embellishes a fall or a reaction

(3) or who feigns an injury

....shall be penalized with a minor penalty under this rule.

Just use the commas.  They will show you the way.

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

25 minutes ago, Curt said:

I think it’s very clear, although the judgment itself will be subjective.

Any player who...

(1) blatantly dives

(2) embellishes a fall or a reaction

(3) or who feigns an injury

....shall be penalized with a minor penalty under this rule.

Just use the commas.  They will show you the way.

Thanks guys.

So in other words, if Jeff was faking it and dropped his stick on purpose when prompted by the slash, in the judgement of the officials, under the embellishment of (a fall or) a reaction, it would be embellishment of having his stick tapped. I heard a lot of people say the slasher should have got the penalty but I beg to differ. I think he lost it on purpose. As a bonus, he looked like an idiot dribbling the puck down the ice with his feet. No one defended him either because they knew he couldn't score, only pass, and they defended that.

Then again, maybe he has weak hands but I doubt it. I tend to blame Skinner on this one. 

Edited by Kong

23 minutes ago, Kong said:

Thanks guys.

So in other words, if Jeff was faking it and dropped his stick on purpose when prompted by the slash, in the judgement of the officials, under the embellishment of (a fall or) a reaction, it would be embellishment of having his stick tapped. I heard a lot of people say the slasher should have got the penalty but I beg to differ. I think he lost it on purpose. As a bonus, he looked like an idiot dribbling the puck down the ice with his feet. No one defended him either because they knew he couldn't score, only pass, and they defended that.

Then again, maybe he has weak hands but I doubt it. I tend to blame Skinner on this one. 

I was playing hockey once and a player slashed my stick. Not very hard, though.  I was not holding very tightly and it dropped out of my hands. They gave the guy a penalty and I said to him, you got a penalty because I wasn’t holding onto my stick hard enough. He yelled that at the ref, lol. 

34 minutes ago, Kong said:

Thanks guys.

Skinner is a diver, but I can’t see even Skinner dropping  his stick on purpose with clear ice between him and the goal.  He’s taking that to the net every time.

Edited by Weave

27 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

I was playing hockey once and a player slashed my stick. Not very hard, though.  I was not holding very tightly and it dropped out of my hands. They gave the guy a penalty and I said to him, you got a penalty because I wasn’t holding onto my stick hard enough. He yelled that at the ref, lol. 

Good story. I used to play street ball against a player who always tried to slash my stick out of my hands, a big guy. He never succeeded. I always hung onto my stick no matter how hard he slashed me and he usually slashed me pretty hard. (for some reason, he didn't seem to like me!) Poetic justice, I may have ended his hockey career (not on purpose) when he tried to push me around near the net. He slipped and fell on some ice, injuring his back and never played after that.

Edited by Kong
  • Thanks (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Weave said:

Skinner is a diver, but I can’t see even Skinner dropping  his stick on purpose with clear ice between him and the goal.  He’s taking that to the net every time.

I'm not so sure about Skinner. If he's a diver, he's not an honest player. If he's not an honest player, there are numerous ways to try to express that in his attempts to draw penalties. This year hasn't gone so well for him so you never know. He may not have the confidence to take it all the way. All I know is I watch a lot of hockey and I hardly ever see any embellishment calls...it involves instant interpretation by the refs...who don't seem too bright. Plus the game is so fast and so emotional, it's must be hard to judge these things. Not even on this play where Barnaby faked an injury...but not for long! 

Edited by Kong

Nobody drops it on purpose.   Sometimes you just dont have a solid grip cuz you're in a battle or whatever and the stick might move around in your hand a bit, or you're just in the process of shifting your grip and it only takes a light slash to knock it loose.   

When it happens your natural reaction is to look at the ref and put your arms up to try and illicit a call, but they won't call it if the slash wasn't deemed aggresive enough, or therr was no scoring opportunity.    

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Canucks getting some Sabres mojo. It was the catalyst to exposing our lack of depth, and other weaknesses. They were in a tough spot to make the playoffs as it was and this will pretty well sink their chances. Not sure they can overcome this hit.

4 minutes ago, bunomatic said:

Canucks getting some Sabres mojo. It was the catalyst to exposing our lack of depth, and other weaknesses. They were in a tough spot to make the playoffs as it was and this will pretty well sink their chances. Not sure they can overcome this hit.

There are reports that the Canucks Medical Staff has needed to go to the residences of some players and administer IV Fluids 

1 minute ago, Brawndo said:

There are reports that the Canucks Medical Staff has needed to go to the residences of some players and administer IV Fluids 

Not good. Hope everyone recovers quickly and with no side effects.

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, pi2000 said:

Nobody drops it on purpose.   Sometimes you just dont have a solid grip cuz you're in a battle or whatever and the stick might move around in your hand a bit, or you're just in the process of shifting your grip and it only takes a light slash to knock it loose.   

When it happens your natural reaction is to look at the ref and put your arms up to try and illicit a call, but they won't call it if the slash wasn't deemed aggresive enough, or therr was no scoring opportunity.    

You also don't grip your stick *that* tightly when you don't have the puck cause you need to cradle the puck when receiving it