Around the NHL: 2021

WildCard

1 hour ago, drnkirishone said:

Where was the hit so bad that it deserves the max punishment? Didn't look like he targeted the head, didn't throw an elbow into it, was not from behind. The closest I can come to rule breaking is blindside.... but that was borderline at best. 

Carlo is 6'5 and he was not bent over so not sure how you can argue it wasn't a head shot but I'm not overly concerned. Wilson is a repeat offender so you'd think the league would suspend him but whatever. 

1 minute ago, Second Line Center said:

He's right the game doesn't need goons.  It does however need tough SOBs

Did I miss this last night?  My God when this game was great 

But the data shows....

Don’t post this. @SDS will be mad.

Did any of these fights change the momentum of the games they occurred in?

5 minutes ago, Andrew Amerk said:

The answer to that question isn't in the short term.  

Its not about changing the "momentum in the game."

These dudes that respond like this earn the trust and respect of teammates and send messages to other teams that if you take liberties with our guys we won't take it like the 2012 Sabres did with Miller.  That incident broke our team.

Responses like this can strengthen teams.  

When did the fighting analysis become about "changing in game momentum??"  

We need to put down the computers.  

Edited by Second Line Center
  • Like (+1) 3

10 minutes ago, Second Line Center said:

The answer to that question isn't in the short term.  

Its not about changing the "momentum in the game."

These dudes that respond like this earn the trust and respect of teammates and send messages to other teams that if you take liberties with our guys we won't take it like the 2012 Sabres did with Miller.  That incident broke our team.

Responses like this can strengthen teams.  

When did the fighting analysis become about "changing in game momentum??"  

We need to put down the computers.  

Fighting in the 70s and 80s was either flat out pugilism, or standing up for your stars. Fighting in the 90s became a way to make a statement or “change momentum.” 

Im not entirely sure what a fight in 2021 is supposed to mean. Most of them aren’t even real fights. Just a couple guys missing punches for about 20 seconds while holding jerseys. 

If you got guys that do what Tinordi did, or Nurse, do you really want to be the guy taking shifts off?

Computers can't account for that. 

There are 2 kinds of fights in the NHL.  The one Cozens got into where no doubt he's trying to swing momentum of the game and make his own statement.  Most likely little impact on the game.  

Then there is the responses of Nurse and Tinordi.  Both very likely to have gotten both their teams just a bit more engaged.  And if both equally now have everyone's attention...again tough to know or see in game difference. 

But you will never convince me otherwise that both have long term positive impacts on locker rooms and individual players. 

This isn't a league of goons and we don't need any Bob Proberts we all know this. 

You just can't convince me that authentic reactions like this don't matter.  

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Andrew Amerk said:

Fighting in the 70s and 80s was either flat out pugilism, or standing up for your stars. Fighting in the 90s became a way to make a statement or “change momentum.” 

Im not entirely sure what a fight in 2021 is supposed to mean. Most of them aren’t even real fights. Just a couple guys missing punches for about 20 seconds while holding jerseys. 

All true.  And the rare occurrence of them in 2021 probably makes them absolutely authentic and more meaningful. 

They may have a bigger impact on the team now then they would in the 70s to the 90s.  Because few do it. 

Has to be organic.  Can't be forced goon-ery

If Eichel were to go out and fight someone tomorrow because we'll we've just sucked....need a spark.  That's dumb.

But if someone ran Hall and Eichel was the first guy in there and instantly without thinking started to retaliate and starts throwing down.....everyone sees that's real, a guy that cares and it's your star and captain; a commitment to your teammates.  You can't quantify that.  

That's what's missing on this team.  Do they look like they care about each other let alone winning?  Nope.    

Edited by Second Line Center

36 minutes ago, Second Line Center said:

You just can't convince me that authentic reactions like this don't matter.  

I agree that an authentic reaction matters. The brawl in 06 was authentic because the Sabres were pissed. Those moments bring teams together. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I agree that an authentic reaction matters. The brawl in 06 was authentic because the Sabres were pissed. Those moments bring teams together. 

That was in 2006. That was 15 years ago. The game has changed a lot. 

Theres little place for those types Of reactions anymore. 

Wilson suspended 7 games.

https://www.nhl.com/news/capitals-tom-wilson-suspended-seven-games/c-322207478

here's the thing I don't get though. why are these suspended games not held back to be against the team you played? Wilson for example misses their next game against the Flyers which helps the Flyers, but might hurt Boston who might end up fighting for a playoff spot with those Flyers. Seems wrong. Especially if Carlo is out for any time. 

9 hours ago, Andrew Amerk said:

After the Tinordi-Wilson fight, the Bruins scored 3 consecutive goals.  Two were within 3 minutes of the fight, the third within 10 minutes.  Boston owned Washington after the fight and went on to win 5-1.  Seems to me it worked for them.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

After the Tinordi-Wilson fight, the Bruins scored 3 consecutive goals.  Two were within 3 minutes of the fight, the third within 10 minutes.  Boston owned Washington after the fight and went on to win 5-1.  Seems to me it worked for them.

One might argue that you are simply motivated by one of your players being injured and you take it upon yourself to play harder and win the game because of that and not any response from the fighting.

17 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

Didn't Florida do a mini-overhaul of their roster in the off-season, and yet here they are one of the better teams in hockey?  Off the top of my head, Dadonov, Trocheck and Hoffman all sent packing, and they are a better team than last year.

Hey Kym and Kevyn...take note of this.

Florida has finished 10, 10 and 34 points better than the Sabres in the last 3 years. They have had a much better base of talent to work with.   Also, they usually have a couple million dollars more roster flexibility to work with.  Those 2 things make it a lot easier for a team like FL than Buf.

Just now, mjd1001 said:

Florida has finished 10, 10 and 34 points better than the Sabres in the last 3 years. They have had a much better base of talent to work with.   Also, they usually have a couple million dollars more roster flexibility to work with.  Those 2 things make it a lot easier for a team like FL than Buf.

and goaltending.

I'm not sure if this has been brought up before...

It looks like there is a chance the Leafs might be playing some of their playoff games in Buffalo, espeically if they get to the final 4.  If Canada still has their 14 day quarantine and exceptions are not made (doesn't look right now like they will), there has been talk in the final 4, 3 of the teams would be from the USA so it would serve Toronto best to play in an American City, Buffalo being the most convenient.

So, if that were to happen, how many people would want to go/pay in person to see the Leafs play in a conference finals series at the Key Bank center as their home?

1 hour ago, LTS said:

One might argue that you are simply motivated by one of your players being injured and you take it upon yourself to play harder and win the game because of that and not any response from the fighting.

It's about a strong team culture of caring for one another.  Boston has this, Buffalo does not.  Some players can show support by scoring, others by dropping their gloves.  I would contend all the players appreciate each other's efforts....whatever they are.  Overall a strong response from the whole team.

• Like (+1) 2

Reinhart's nifty backhand bat is 12th on Sportsnet's NHL plays of the month

bronze trophy achieved 

Ullmark's big glove save before the shutout was broken was 11

Asplund's bat goal was 25 

Edited by Thorny

33 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Reinhart's nifty backhand bat is 12th on Sportsnet's NHL plays of the month

bronze trophy achieved 

Ullmark's big glove save before the shutout was broken was 11

Asplund's bat goal was 25 

That's great.  What's their record again?

14 hours ago, Carmel Corn said:

It's about a strong team culture of caring for one another.  Boston has this, Buffalo does not.  Some players can show support by scoring, others by dropping their gloves.  I would contend all the players appreciate each other's efforts....whatever they are.  Overall a strong response from the whole team.

You're not wrong, but I have to add Scott Wedgewood shut them out and NJ won 1-0 today 🙂