Around the NHL: 2021

WildCard

Catching the Bruins - Caps game tonight.  The Cap's Wilson dishing out another cheap shot on Brandon Carlo.  Big Jarred Tinordi, just claimed off waiver from Nashville embraces his new teammates and Bruins culture....get's into a heavy duty scrap with Wilson.  Others may not condone this, but I am envious that Boston can get a guy like this who stands up for his new teammates and does what he feels is necessary to help his team. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

Catching the Bruins - Caps game tonight.  The Cap's Wilson dishing out another cheap shot on Brandon Carlo.  Big Jarred Tinordi, just claimed off waiver from Nashville embraces his new teammates and Bruins culture....get's into a heavy duty scrap with Wilson.  Others may not condone this, but I am envious that Boston can get a guy like this who stands up for his new teammates and does what he feels is necessary to help his team. 

I am watching parts of this one too, wondering how bad the Bs are gonna thump the Sabres if they can do what they are doing to the Caps.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Norcal said:

I am watching parts of this one too, wondering how bad the Bs are gonna thump the Sabres if they can do what they are doing to the Caps.

Boston has an ideal mix of players with skills, players who can agitate, players who can scrap, players who can defend, good goaltending and good coaching.  Our only chance is to lull them to sleep.

1 minute ago, Carmel Corn said:

Boston has an ideal mix of players with skills, players who can agitate, players who can scrap, players who can defend, good goaltending and good coaching.  Our only chance is to lull them to sleep.

They're good at that

1 hour ago, Carmel Corn said:

Whoa. Wait a minute here. Let’s be clear…

Tom Wilson viciously smashed a Bruins head against the glass. No penalty was called and nobody fought anybody after the hit. The player was taken to the hospital.

A fight didn’t occur until the next period. Do you know what this board would be like if a Sabre had his head viciously smashed against the boards and no one did not do anything immediately?

• Thanks (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Carmel Corn said:

Ya, but we could have. Bruins got him off waivers. With Borgen and McCabe injured I do not understand why we did not snap him up first. 

Washington poked the bear and the bear bit back hard. 

And, although I know the nice manners new crowd won't get this, but talk about leadership! Tinordi fights Wilson, Bergeron scores and goes by the penalty box and taps the glass for Tinordi. I know many people won't get that gesture, but believe me, that is the kind of thing that unites and fires up a team to be a team.  

Krueger should make the Sabres watch this game over and over and over until they find their hearts. 

15 minutes ago, SDS said:

Tom Wilson viciously smashed a Bruins head against the glass. No penalty was called and nobody fought anybody after the hit. The player was taken to the hospital.

A fight didn’t occur until the next period. Do you know what this board would be like if a Sabre had his head viciously smashed against the boards and no one did not do anything immediately?

Sorry, your depiction is dead wrong. They answered in spades. 

12 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Ya, but we could have. Bruins got him off waivers. With Borgen and McCabe injured I do not understand why we did not snap him up first. 

Washington poked the bear and the bear bit back hard. 

And, although I know the nice manners new crowd won't get this, but talk about leadership! Tinordi fights Wilson, Bergeron scores and goes by the penalty box and taps the glass for Tinordi. I know many people won't get that gesture, but believe me, that is the kind of thing that unites and fires up a team to be a team.  

Krueger should make the Sabres watch this game over and over and over until they find their hearts. 

Sorry, your depiction is dead wrong. They answered in spades. 

I’m sorry why don’t you go ahead and tell me where I’m wrong. The hit occurred at the end of the first. And the fight did not occur until six minutes into the second period. Why don’t you go ahead and check game center.

16 minutes ago, SDS said:

di

The hit happened with about 1:30 left in the period.  Chris Wagner did immediately jump on Wilson and took him down to the ice and in the process Wilson sustained a cut on his nose...not sure from the impact of his visor hitting the ice.  But to your point, no...no fight immediately.  TInordi was not on the ice when it happened.   About 6 minutes into the 2nd is when Wilson and Tinordi fought and each got 5 minutes.  So again, the fight was not immediate, but IMHO was clearly in response to what happened in the first.  Boston was not done with Wilson, as Trent Frederic also fought Wilson early in the 3rd.  Frederic instigated and got an extra 2 and 10 minutes.  So no, neither fight was immediate, but Boston clearly responded. 

When the hit happened, it was just a 1-0 game.  After the first fight, Boston scored 4 consecutive goals to take control of the game.  The second fight happened with Boston ahead 5-0.  IMHO, Boston did respond (albeit not immediately) and took control of the game after that response.  To your point, if it happened to a Buffalo player, I would be satisfied with two scraps and a decisive victory as a team response.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

The hit happened with about 1:30 left in the period.  Chris Wagner did immediately jump on Wilson and took him down to the ice and in the process Wilson sustained a cut on his nose...not sure from the impact of his visor hitting the ice.  But to your point, no...no fight immediately.  TInordi was not on the ice when it happened.   About 6 minutes into the 2nd is when Wilson and Tinordi fought and each got 5 minutes.  So again, the fight was not immediate, but IMHO was clearly in response to what happened in the first.  Boston was not done with Wilson, as Trent Frederic also fought Wilson early in the 3rd.  Frederic instigated and got an extra 2 and 10 minutes.  So no, neither fight was immediate, but Boston clearly responded. 

When the hit happened, it was just a 1-0 game.  After the first fight, Boston scored 4 consecutive goals to take control of the game.  The second fight happened with Boston ahead 5-0.  IMHO, Boston did respond (albeit not immediately) and took control of the game after that response.  To your point, if it happened to a Buffalo player, I would be satisfied with two scraps and a decisive victory as a team response.

My depiction of what happened was accurate. My suggestion of the hypothetical reaction is based upon what I had read here for years. How many shifts did Tom Wilson have in between the hit in the first period and the fight in the second period? Where was every other Boston Bruin prior to the new guy jumping in?

I read a lot of things here. I think the observations are valid.

I would contend my depiction is also accurate.  If I were to "guess" how many shifts Wilson had between the hit and his first fight, I would guess 2.  It was a close game when the first scrap occurred, but Boston was willing to risk an extra penalty to respond.  Sure, the pure blood and guts fans out there would love to see an immediate response, but sometimes it's a matter of having the right personnel on the ice to do so.  My view is that Boston responded in a manner that I found to be satisfactory.

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

I would contend my depiction is also accurate.  If I were to "guess" how many shifts Wilson had between the hit and his first fight, I would guess 2.  It was a close game when the first scrap occurred, but Boston was willing to risk an extra penalty to respond.  Sure, the pure blood and guts fans out there would love to see an immediate response, but sometimes it's a matter of having the right personnel on the ice to do so.  My view is that Boston responded in a manner that I found to be satisfactory.

It was his third shift since the hit.

I don’t really see people talk about the “right personnel” being on the ice for the Sabres. They are all grouped together.

The Bruins player went to the hospital in an ambulance. 

3 hours ago, SDS said:

I’m sorry why don’t you go ahead and tell me where I’m wrong. The hit occurred at the end of the first. And the fight did not occur until six minutes into the second period. Why don’t you go ahead and check game center.

I watched the game. As soon as the hit was delivered Wagner took Wilson to the ice and basically bashed his face into the ice (he got a nice cut on his nose) but he didn't drop them right there because they wanted the major penalty I think they assumed they'd get. When they didn't, they took on Wilson (a big tough guy) first chance they got and then came at the Caps with numerous hits on Ovi and Oshie and others. They were relentless and scored 3 goals while Wilson was in the box for the fight. And as I mentioned Bergeron skated over to salute Tinordi while they drove up the score.  Then Frederick took on Wilson again in the 3rd since the refs for some reason felt it was a good idea to keep Wilson in the game lol. The hitting in that game was as I said, relentless. 

It was absolutely nothing like a Sabres response. Hence, your depiction is misleading. 

Bruins came together, as they do, and Tinordi in his second game became a team and fan favourite already. We are so far from that it's like  our sorry lot are minor leaguers (except for one or two like Cozens who haven't learned to play Sabres hockey yet). 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

8 hours ago, SDS said:

Cal Peterson has played 11 games for the Kings. 0.928 SV%. 2.43 GAA

Not bad. 

Yes...not bad at all.  Some good talent comes from the college ranks....for some reason, I just get nervous sometimes about the Sabres' drafting kids who commit to college hockey.   I know time is usually in the team's favor, but sometimes the kids do commit all 4 years and then have their choice on where to go.

6 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

I watched the game. As soon as the hit was delivered Wagner took Wilson to the ice and basically bashed his face into the ice (he got a nice cut on his nose) but he didn't drop them right there because they wanted the major penalty I think they assumed they'd get. When they didn't, they took on Wilson (a big tough guy) first chance they got and then came at the Caps with numerous hits on Ovi and Oshie and others. They were relentless and scored 3 goals while Wilson was in the box for the fight. And as I mentioned Bergeron skated over to salute Tinordi while they drove up the score.  Then Frederick took on Wilson again in the 3rd since the refs for some reason felt it was a good idea to keep Wilson in the game lol. The hitting in that game was as I said, relentless. 

It was absolutely nothing like a Sabres response. Hence, your depiction is misleading. 

Bruins came together, as they do, and Tinordi in his second game became a team and fan favourite already. We are so far from that it's like  our sorry lot are minor leaguers (except for one or two like Cozens who haven't learned to play Sabres hockey yet). 

1:30 left in the first. Tom Wilson crushes a Boston Bruins head into the boards. Nothing was done. 

Nothing was done in the next 1:30 to end the period.

Intermission.... zzzzzzzz

Start of the second. Nothing was done.

19:00 Tom Wilson hits the ice.  Nothing was done.

16:00 Tom Wilson hits the ice. Nothing was done.

14:00 Tom Wilson hits the ice. New Boston Bruin starts a fight.

Tom Wilson put a guy in the hospital with a slimy cheap shop. Do you think he gives a rats ass that him and some other dude grabbed each other‘s jersey and spun around for 40 seconds?

3 minutes ago, SDS said:

1:30 left in the first. Tom Wilson crushes a Boston Bruins head into the boards. Nothing was done. 

Tom Wilson put a guy in the hospital with a slimy cheap shop. Do you think he gives a rats ass that him and some other dude grabbed each other‘s jersey and spun around for 40 seconds?

I didn't see the game but I would be inclined to believe, based on other posters, that when the hit occurred there was a response.  You are saying nothing was done and others are saying Wilson was taken to the ice and had a cut on his nose.  

If you mean no one fought him?  Then yes, that would be accurate.

As for your thoughts on Carlo... I would bet he cares very much that the Bruins went after Wilson and that they won.  I'm sure he'd prefer to not be in the hospital but I am also quite positive he's happier that his team responded than he'd be if he was in the hospital and his team did nothing.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, LTS said:

I didn't see the game but I would be inclined to believe, based on other posters, that when the hit occurred there was a response.  You are saying nothing was done and others are saying Wilson was taken to the ice and had a cut on his nose.  

If you mean no one fought him?  Then yes, that would be accurate.

As for your thoughts on Carlo... I would bet he cares very much that the Bruins went after Wilson and that they won.  I'm sure he'd prefer to not be in the hospital but I am also quite positive he's happier that his team responded than he'd be if he was in the hospital and his team did nothing.

What happened to Tom Wilson is the equivalent of Sheldon Cooper writing a strongly worded letter to the customer complaint department. Go to hockeyfights.com and watch the second period response. Ask yourself if serial ***** Tom Wilson gives a crap about that fight/dance. I just happened to find the initial characterization of what happened and the delayed response to be out of step with what a great many of people post here.

I hope the NHL throws the book at him. Given his past history, I would like to see them dole out real punishment and give him 20 games. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, SDS said:

What happened to Tom Wilson is the equivalent of Sheldon Cooper writing a strongly worded letter to the customer complaint department. Go to hockeyfights.com and watch the second period response. Ask yourself if serial ***** Tom Wilson gives a crap about that fight/dance. I just happened to find the initial characterization of what happened and the delayed response to be out of step with what a great many of people post here.

I hope the NHL throws the book at him. Given his past history, I would like to see them dole out real punishment and give him 20 games. 

Ahh you were referring to Wilson caring, my apologies.  No, I don't think he does.

But you also don't want a Marty McSorely or a Todd Bertuzzi response either right?

And yes, Wilson needs to be sitting down a long time.  I am sure he'll get less simply because of the compressed season.  It's just how the NHL thinks.  But he deserves the max.

32 minutes ago, SDS said:

Going back to your initial posts on this, I think you are correct that had the Sabres reacted to such a thing the same way that the Bruins initially reacted (in the first period and up to the first fight) then Sabres' fans would have been screaming that the team had no guts.  However, that would have quickly changed had the Sabres reacted the way the Bruins did in the 2nd and 3rd.  

With regards to the bolded above, this isn't about how the Tom Wilson-type players of the NHL respond to being challenged; players like Wilson love this stuff.  What it is about, is how you respond as a team when a player like Wilson does something like this to your teammate.     

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, LTS said:

And yes, Wilson needs to be sitting down a long time.  I am sure he'll get less simply because of the compressed season.  It's just how the NHL thinks.  But he deserves the max.

Where was the hit so bad that it deserves the max punishment? Didn't look like he targeted the head, didn't throw an elbow into it, was not from behind. The closest I can come to rule breaking is blindside.... but that was borderline at best. 

Didn't Florida do a mini-overhaul of their roster in the off-season, and yet here they are one of the better teams in hockey?  Off the top of my head, Dadonov, Trocheck and Hoffman all sent packing, and they are a better team than last year.

Hey Kym and Kevyn...take note of this.

Edited by LabattBlue
  • Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, SDS said:

You are as delusional as the Sabres.