Around the NHL: 2021

WildCard

1 hour ago, Norcal said:

Opportunity is knocking. He hasn't played in a while and and it looks like he's not in game shape though. They're saying he may require a conditioning stint in AHL. Why not?

We gotta do something.  Until someone steps up, the Sabres should claim every goalie who hits the waiver wire.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

We gotta do something.  Until someone steps up, the Sabres should claim every goalie who hits the waiver wire.

Too bad they didn't have the hamburgler around this year. He's also in Minnesota apparently. 

8 minutes ago, Mike Honcho said:

i think the sabres should pickup stalock too. i think he is better than both of the current sabres tenders. even if he isnt ready just yet. he was out for injury 

Do something to show they haven’t given up. It’s like not even game 20? Damn 

20 hours ago, Thorny said:

Do something to show they haven’t given up. It’s like not even game 20? Damn 

Since it is a shortened season, I would say this is the equivalent of game 46.

Not putting in a claim for Stalock is a joke.  Hutton clearly isn't working out, Ullmark is out for a month, and the season is fading fast.  What could it hurt to bring in Stalock?  It is a no brainer, no risk move.

...or is Hutton such a good soldier, that they can't possibly kick him to the curb?

31 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Not putting in a claim for Stalock is a joke.  Hutton clearly isn't working out, Ullmark is out for a month, and the season is fading fast.  What could it hurt to bring in Stalock?  It is a no brainer, no risk move.

...or is Hutton such a good soldier, that they can't possibly kick him to the curb?

Stalock hasn't played this year, he's rehabbing from an upper body injury.    That last thing they need is another injured goalie. 

There are no excuses for being bad at this point, but the Sabres were put in an unfortunate division. These teams know how to dismantle the Sabres, and have for a while. 

Looking at it...

Over the last 2 seasons, BUF has played the teams in their division quite poorly - 14-21-3, for an 82 game point pace of just 67 points. This is last-place material.

In the same span against the rest of the league, Buffalo has gone 49-49-15, an 82 point pace. Hardly lighting the world on fire, but significantly different from the suffocation best idealized by Barry Trotz' Islanders. We scored 2.45 goals per game against our divisional foes over the last two years, but 2.90 goals per game against the rest of the field. Half of a goal per game is a pretty big deal. 

If we played in a different division that was more aligned with that 82 point pace, one would still probably be skeptical that Hall + Staal + 4th line PKers + development could bridge the gap to playoffs, but add a real goalie to upgrade Hutton in that stack, and it would be reasonable to argue before the season that we were looking at a good NHL team that can compete. 

That pile of additions to a functionally-67-point roster? Not so much. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

There are no excuses for being bad at this point, but the Sabres were put in an unfortunate division. These teams know how to dismantle the Sabres, and have for a while. 

Looking at it...

Over the last 2 seasons, BUF has played the teams in their division quite poorly - 14-21-3, for an 82 game point pace of just 67 points. This is last-place material.

In the same span against the rest of the league, Buffalo has gone 49-49-15, an 82 point pace. Hardly lighting the world on fire, but significantly different from the suffocation best idealized by Barry Trotz' Islanders. We scored 2.45 goals per game against our divisional foes over the last two years, but 2.90 goals per game against the rest of the field. Half of a goal per game is a pretty big deal. 

If we played in a different division that was more aligned with that 82 point pace, one would still probably be skeptical that Hall + Staal + 4th line PKers + development could bridge the gap to playoffs, but add a real goalie to upgrade Hutton in that stack, and it would be reasonable to argue before the season that we were looking at a good NHL team that can compete. 

That pile of additions to a functionally-67-point roster? Not so much. 

Excuse me.. who are you? 😉

I think the Sabres, even with the current goaltending situation could compete better if they were on the same page or cared to play.  it's clear something is rotten in the locker room.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, LTS said:

Excuse me.. who are you? 😉

I think the Sabres, even with the current goaltending situation could compete better if they were on the same page or cared to play.  it's clear something is rotten in the locker room.

Something is rotten in the organization as a whole.

On 3/2/2021 at 12:29 AM, Norcal said:

Oilers shut out twice in a row by Toronto. Should they trade McDavid? Blow it all up and start over? 

excellent comparison. The Oilers are in 3rd place and have one of the best players in the league and will probably make the playoffs. You see something similar to the Sabres there?

11 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Standards and Expectations 

Director of Goaltending is a title?

1 hour ago, nucci said:

excellent comparison. The Oilers are in 3rd place and have one of the best players in the league and will probably make the playoffs. You see something similar to the Sabres there?

Oilers have made the playoffs once in the last 10 years. Their winning percentage during that time is 40.6%.

They have several number one overall picks on the roster including the all world McJesus.

They have had plenty of coaches during that time, including dear Ralph Kreuger. 

I see some similarities, yes. 

9 minutes ago, Norcal said:

Oilers have made the playoffs once in the last 10 years. Their winning percentage during that time is 40.6%.

They have several number one overall picks on the roster including the all world McJesus.

ok, you got me

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Norcal said:

It all starts with drafting and drafting well outside of the top 10. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, nucci said:

Director of Goaltending is a title?

When your season (and job) depends on Carey Price getting his groove back, it is a thing.  A desperate, desperate thing.

• Like (+1) 1

Watching the Bruins Caps game right now and it is the antithesis of Sabres hockey. Both teams checking incredibly well, playing hard. If this was an actual playoff game it's one of those ones you think could last 6 periods or more. We have zero chance of generating offense against either of these teams the way we play. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

Watching the Bruins Caps game right now and it is the antithesis of Sabres hockey. Both teams checking incredibly well, playing hard. If this was an actual playoff game it's one of those ones you think could last 6 periods or more. We have zero chance of generating offense against either of these teams the way we play. 

I was watching too.  Literally looked like a different league from watching a Sabres game.

Seriously, if you put them all in random jerseys, and told everyone “this is a pro game” (Caps-Bruins), “and this is a minor league/AHL game.” (Sabres-NJ/NY),  I don’t think anyone would bat an eye.

• Like (+1) 2

11 hours ago, Curt said:

I was watching too.  Literally looked like a different league from watching a Sabres game.

Seriously, if you put them all in random jerseys, and told everyone “this is a pro game” (Caps-Bruins), “and this is a minor league/AHL game.” (Sabres-NJ/NY),  I don’t think anyone would bat an eye.

I watched that game as well. That was big boy hockey. A lot of big hits by both teams. Most guys on both teams will throw their weight around. The Sabres would get out hit by a women's team. Maybe 1 or 2 Sabres players will throw a check. Bruins are going to destroy Buffalo.