Around the NHL: 2021

WildCard

17 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

There is not much they can do with Hutton, but Okposo can be waived to the taxi squad. He gets to stay with the team and they would not be obligated to play him every night. 

Other teams waive under performers all the time. Let's GO Buffalo!!

I guess it comes down to the fact that they know what Okposo is at this point. Mittlestadt is showing improvement so he should draw in for a bank of games to see if he can build on it.

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

There is not much they can do with Hutton, but Okposo can be waived to the taxi squad. He gets to stay with the team and they would not be obligated to play him every night. 

9 minutes ago, Norcal said:

I guess it comes down to the fact that they know what Okposo is at this point. Mittlestadt is showing improvement so he should draw in for a bank of games to see if he can build on it.

I had forgotten that waiver is an option.  I suppose they even can send him to Rochester if they want, but that contract still remains on the books.

9 minutes ago, Norcal said:

Backes, Lucic, Ladd and Okposo were all horrible signings. Guess who is the only one still with His Team from 2016

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

I get your point but what do you expect them to do about Hutton and Okposo?  No other team is going to take them.

Hutton should've been replaced in the long offseason.   There were goalies available.     Now they're stuck with him it would appear as the goalie market is dried up apparently... but I'm not the GM.   

Other teams find creative ways to move bad contracts.   Okposo has been underachieving his contract for many seasons now, it's up to the GM to find a creative way to move on from him, see Matt Moulson.   

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, French Collection said:

Love watching the “mighty” Leafs being shut out by Rittich and the Flames for the last 5 periods.

I hope they get knocked out in the first round again to watch their fans lose their minds.

Gawd I'd love for my team to lose in the first round so I could lose my mind.

SMH

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/24/2021 at 5:44 PM, French Collection said:

Love watching the “mighty” Leafs being shut out by Rittich and the Flames for the last 5 periods.

I hope they get knocked out in the first round again to watch their fans lose their minds.

Leafs could never get past Boston and they still struggle against teams that play tougher and play better D so they will have trouble getting past Calgary (if Calgary makes it) or Montreal. They do well in that open offensive stuff like Edmonton and Vancouver. If the Leafs finish 1st I'm hoping Calgary is 4th and takes them out round 1. 

11 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Leafs could never get past Boston and they still struggle against teams that play tougher and play better D so they will have trouble getting past Calgary (if Calgary makes it) or Montreal. They do well in that open offensive stuff like Edmonton and Vancouver. If the Leafs finish 1st I'm hoping Calgary is 4th and takes them out round 1. 

I think Winnipeg could take them out as well with Hellebuyck making a playoff run.

• Like (+1) 2

On 2/24/2021 at 9:45 AM, Brawndo said:

Backes, Lucic, Ladd and Okposo were all horrible signings. Guess who is the only one still with His Team from 2016

Ladd is on the taxi squad and if I remember correctly, his deal is 1m per season and the rest is a signing bounus throughout the term of the contract. The best re-signing Chevy didn't do.

7 hours ago, Norcal said:

Cal Peterson emerging as the starter in LA just makes the current state of Sabres goaltending hurt that much worse 

50% of Sabres fans would have been waaaay to impatient to wait “that long” for Cal to develop into a starter. They would have wanted him traded out of the organization or considered a “bust” back on 2018. 
I mean there are already a small small group of impatient fans that think UPL won’t develop into an NHL quality goalie. 😂

On 2/26/2021 at 12:42 AM, Ruff Around The Edges said:

The 38 year old Mike Smith is now 6-0 with a sub 2.00 GAA and a .935+ SV%.

If the Oilers keep finding this kind of goaltending, watch out

at the end of the day (or season) I still think both Edmonton and the Laughs won't go anywhere once they play a good team. Living up here north of Toronto and having to hear Leaf fans go on and on about how great they are and what a great season they are having is sickening! They go on about how this is their year (like they do every other year but this year they are playing in the lousy north division where there is virtually no competition to speak of). Will be interesting next 3 games TO versus Oilers...Mathews is going great guns and McDavid is, well I can only say I said it then, and I wil say it now...we were doomed when we lost that bloody lottery. Imagine Edmonton without McDavid??? 

8 hours ago, Sabre fan said:

at the end of the day (or season) I still think both Edmonton and the Laughs won't go anywhere once they play a good team. Living up here north of Toronto and having to hear Leaf fans go on and on about how great they are and what a great season they are having is sickening! They go on about how this is their year (like they do every other year but this year they are playing in the lousy north division where there is virtually no competition to speak of). Will be interesting next 3 games TO versus Oilers...Mathews is going great guns and McDavid is, well I can only say I said it then, and I wil say it now...we were doomed when we lost that bloody lottery. Imagine Edmonton without McDavid??? 

We tanked to get McJesus. The hockey Gods saw this, and gave us one miserable Eichel. 

4 minutes ago, Andrew Amerk said:

Ralph would have Gretzky and Kurri playing defense first. 

Wayne and I have had a lot of good discussions. He’s working on the things that we need and he’s really positive about it. But in the meantime I think a game up above the ice will help him see what we’re trying to do and refocus. 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

I wonder if the Sabres put in a claim on Stalock 

Opportunity is knocking. He hasn't played in a while and and it looks like he's not in game shape though. They're saying he may require a conditioning stint in AHL. Why not?

• Like (+1) 1