Around the NHL: 2021

WildCard

This is what I get for hardly following the NHL anymore. Let me get this straight. They scheduled day games, outdoors, in lake Tahoe? Cool, cool. They only get 300 days of sun per year. And the other 65 days they're getting 500 inches of snow. 

23 hours ago, ubkev said:

This is what I get for hardly following the NHL anymore. Let me get this straight. They scheduled day games, outdoors, in lake Tahoe? Cool, cool. They only get 300 days of sun per year. And the other 65 days they're getting 500 inches of snow. 

I guess originally they were going to be done in lake Louise in Alberta but switched to Lake Tahoe due to the pandemic.

I guess they were asked about playing them in Lake Louise in the future and the league is keeping it open as an option, but I can't see it happening unless its a throw away pre-season game because it won't be done with Fans in attendance, and once the pandemic is over, theres no way the NHL or NHL franchises are going to play anymore games without fans

12 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

It's Putin we must all fear.

No doubt. I just heard that somewhere a long time ago said in a heavy Russian accent. Still makes me laugh. 

12 minutes ago, Eleven said:

This Panarin stuff is just plain disgusting.  Either he did it (I have serious doubts) and it's disgusting or it's typical Putin and it's disgusting.

I have no way of knowing but it just feels like there might be atleast a small bit of truth to it or else why take a leave, deny and move on. Nothing to see here. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Norcal said:

No doubt. I just heard that somewhere a long time ago said in a heavy Russian accent. Still makes me laugh. 

I have no way of knowing but it just feels like there might be atleast a small bit of truth to it or else why take a leave, deny and move on. Nothing to see here. 

It could be true.  But Brooks's post implies that the reason for the leave is to see to the safety of his family.

• Like (+1) 2

Translation of article linked above:

Nazarov said that Panarin beat a girl in a bar in 2011: "I heard about 40 thousand euros to release the brakes."

Tags Vityaz incidents Rangers Mikhail Anisin NHL Andrey Nazarov KHL Dynamo Riga Artemy Panarin Hockey

Former Vityaz coach Andrei Nazarov  said that the ex-forward of the Moscow Region club, and now the Rangers striker Artemy Panarin, beat an 18-year-old girl in Riga in 2011. 

- In Riga on December 11, 2011, our "Vityaz" lost to the local "Dynamo" with a score of 0: 2. Panarin managed to shoot at goal only a few times during the whole match. It seems that he saved energy for the evening "feats".

- Did you leave Riga immediately after the match for reasons of economy?

- We were to fly to Minsk in the morning. Most of the hockey players went to rest by their numbers. Except for a few legionnaires and Artemy.

- Decided to relax?

- Walked in the bar of the Radisson Hotel. Moreover, during the evening rest, he somehow did not like the young visitor of the institution. Our striker sent an 18-year-old citizen of Latvia to the floor with several powerful blows.

- Is the reason known?

- It's hard to say now. After beating the girl, he hurried to the room. And he asked to bring his teammate Misha Anisin, who, unlike Artemy, ordered only juice at the bar. But the police arrived quickly. Panarin was detained. They drew up a protocol.

- Criminal case shone?

- Case, court and real time. But respected residents of Riga stood up for Panarin. Negotiations were held with the police authorities. I did not participate in the negotiations, but I heard about the figure of 40 thousand euros in cash for putting the brakes on the case.

- As a coach, did you have an educational conversation?

- Yes, but this is not the main thing. We did not even apologize to the parents of the girl who suffered from Panarin, and to her herself. But they did everything to prevent our rising star from thundering into jail. Didn't ruin a career.

- But the prison could ruin.

- It happens differently. But what is now clear is that we were wrong then. Artemy did not deserve to be saved from punishment by the whole world for the fact that he beat the girl. 

- Well, if I stumbled - it doesn't happen to anyone ...

- So if only once. But there was also theft from the pockets of his own teammates in the children's team. And he himself later talked about it. And the willingness to raise a hand against the weak. And provocations - albeit verbal - of recent years in his social networks, - said Nazarov. 

3 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Translation of article linked above:

Nazarov said that Panarin beat a girl in a bar in 2011: "I heard about 40 thousand euros to release the brakes."

Tags Vityaz incidents Rangers Mikhail Anisin NHL Andrey Nazarov KHL Dynamo Riga Artemy Panarin Hockey

Former Vityaz coach Andrei Nazarov  said that the ex-forward of the Moscow Region club, and now the Rangers striker Artemy Panarin, beat an 18-year-old girl in Riga in 2011. 

- In Riga on December 11, 2011, our "Vityaz" lost to the local "Dynamo" with a score of 0: 2. Panarin managed to shoot at goal only a few times during the whole match. It seems that he saved energy for the evening "feats".

- Did you leave Riga immediately after the match for reasons of economy?

- We were to fly to Minsk in the morning. Most of the hockey players went to rest by their numbers. Except for a few legionnaires and Artemy.

- Decided to relax?

- Walked in the bar of the Radisson Hotel. Moreover, during the evening rest, he somehow did not like the young visitor of the institution. Our striker sent an 18-year-old citizen of Latvia to the floor with several powerful blows.

- Is the reason known?

- It's hard to say now. After beating the girl, he hurried to the room. And he asked to bring his teammate Misha Anisin, who, unlike Artemy, ordered only juice at the bar. But the police arrived quickly. Panarin was detained. They drew up a protocol.

- Criminal case shone?

- Case, court and real time. But respected residents of Riga stood up for Panarin. Negotiations were held with the police authorities. I did not participate in the negotiations, but I heard about the figure of 40 thousand euros in cash for putting the brakes on the case.

- As a coach, did you have an educational conversation?

- Yes, but this is not the main thing. We did not even apologize to the parents of the girl who suffered from Panarin, and to her herself. But they did everything to prevent our rising star from thundering into jail. Didn't ruin a career.

- But the prison could ruin.

- It happens differently. But what is now clear is that we were wrong then. Artemy did not deserve to be saved from punishment by the whole world for the fact that he beat the girl. 

- Well, if I stumbled - it doesn't happen to anyone ...

- So if only once. But there was also theft from the pockets of his own teammates in the children's team. And he himself later talked about it. And the willingness to raise a hand against the weak. And provocations - albeit verbal - of recent years in his social networks, - said Nazarov. 

That's rough lol. Since it's Russia there's no telling if it's true or not.

Slava Malamud

@SlavaMalamud

·

1h

Regarding the Panarin situation: 1) It may or may not be true (Lativan police records will tell) 2) There is NO DOUBT Nazarov's motivation is political 3) Nazarov may or may not be acting on his own accord 4) The likeliest motivation is to remove Panarin from the Olympic team.

No. 2 is a fact. Nazarov implied so himself by inserting the bit about "Panarin's provocative social media posts" for no apparent reason. No. 4 is speculation. It would be in character for Putin's cronies to use Nazarov to eliminate a potentially problematic player, but...

... Nazarov is a notoriously loose cannon not known for being smart, subtle or cautious, and this might be just his way of trying to ingratiate himself to the powerful.

Edited by Eleven
  • Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

I guess originally they were going to be done in lake Louise in Alberta but switched to Lake Tahoe due to the pandemic.

I guess they were asked about playing them in Lake Louise in the future and the league is keeping it open as an option, but I can't see it happening unless its a throw away pre-season game because it won't be done with Fans in attendance, and once the pandemic is over, theres no way the NHL or NHL franchises are going to play anymore games without fans

The Lake Louise thing fell apart because it's federal jurisdiction, not provincial, and the Canadian government wasn't satisfied with the NHL arrangements and protocols. That's why the bubble was held in Alberta where they got the provincial government onside. Some provinces differ from others with this stuff and federal issues are even more restrictive for things like this. It's also an environmentally sensitive area. 

4 hours ago, Andrew Amerk said:

It’s obviously BS. This was 10 years ago, and it’s JUST coming out now, a day after he posts something against Putin?

🤦‍♂️

Seems to be a Putin fueled thing. Nazarov himself has a long list of shady bad things in his past so he's not much of a reputable source, and he's a Putin supporter. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, SwampD said:

The Habs got robbed on a ridiculous Goalie interference call with 2.1 secs left. They then went on to lose in the SO.

I guess the league wants to keep the Sens relevant a little longer.😂

Love the Sens unis now

Just now, Sabre fan said:

Heck Montreal was doing much better then our Sabres and they fire everybody?  How the hell Ralphie is still here is beyond me...

That's what a losing culture is.  Standing pat when it's obvious you can DO BETTER... eg, Hutton, Okposo, never firing a coach during the season as the losing continues, etc...

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

That's what a losing culture is.  Standing pat when it's obvious you can DO BETTER... eg, Hutton, Okposo, never firing a coach during the season as the losing continues, etc...

I get your point but what do you expect them to do about Hutton and Okposo?  No other team is going to take them.

3 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

so true...that is what always gets me when I watch other teams is how they play with such intensity and heart and drive...teams like Montreal Pittsburg Philly etc etc win on shear tradiiton and heart and desire. all things this team seems to have virtually none of.  Our captain is the quite possibily the worse of the whole bunch...sad

16 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I get your point but what do you expect them to do about Hutton and Okposo?  No other team is going to take them.

There is not much they can do with Hutton, but Okposo can be waived to the taxi squad. He gets to stay with the team and they would not be obligated to play him every night. 

• Like (+1) 1