Around the NHL: 2021

WildCard

On 2/11/2021 at 2:47 PM, jad1 said:

So who do you call when you want to make a deal with Pittsburgh? Burke or Hextall?  Who has the final say on draft choices?

Buffalo fans used to argue that the Bills needed a Prez of Football operations, but then they hired a GM who knows his a## from a hole in the ground, and everything is fine with Beane running the show.

Teams just need to hire a competent GM.  It's harder than it sounds, but it's better then adding an unnecessary layer of confusion to the front office. 

If you tell the people what their jobs are when you hire them, there is no confusion.

By all accounts Hextall is making the day to day hockey decisions.  Burke’s role is more executive management type stuff.  Managing the ownership communications and directives, and figuring out how to apply that throughout the organization.  As well as consulting on hockey decisions, and various PR type stuff.  Basically freeing up Hextall to focus on hockey.

I don’t need my GM dealing with preparing for, attending, and following up on hour long meetings with the owner 3-4 times per week.  And I do believe that it the level of interaction that the Pegulas require.

Edited by Curt

7 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Actually surprised it took this long.

I was thinking the same thing.

Big Al played 23 seasons (WOW!!) to score that many points.  Sid is in what (?????) season 13, or so.  Sid has been out of the lineup some too.

Thinking about it ... if Dahlin becomes as good as Big Al ... NS will be very happy.

I see Carolina who are what we can only wish to be, just added a goo done in a trade for Cedric Paquette. Apparently they want to get tougher to play against according to coach Rod Brind'Amour who was a tough SOB when he played. Unlike our pansies who send absolutely no fear through any team. I am sure Brind'Amour or any other coach would accept last night's pathetic effort. NOT  

• Like (+1) 1

I find it funny when Sabre fans think the ol “kick over a garbage can, get 2 inches from a players face and scream and yell” coaching method still exists in the NHL. It doesn’t. And very few players would respond in a positive manner even IF a coach like that existed. And pointing to any currently employed coach who had a reputation of that method 10-15 years ago doesn’t mean he automatically still does it in 2021. Or a coach who was a tough SOB in his playing days doesn’t automatically make him a mean ol SOB as a coach in 2021.

I know that’s a fun nostalgic thing to reminisce of days gone by. Hell I miss that too! But it’s gone, and not coming back. No matter how hard one wishes, hopes and dreams it would.

And any “hard-nosed” experienced coach isn’t something the Pegulas want. If they did, the last two coaches and two GM hires, wouldn’t have happened.

Lastly, I’m not saying there aren’t potentially better owners itching to own an NHL franchise. But there are most likely many who absolutely suck way more than the Pegulas. I’m personally apprehensive about rolling that dice. Because the retort of “how can it get any worse blah blah” is a non answer void of critical thinking and logic. And just filled with emotion.

30 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

I find it funny when Sabre fans think the ol “kick over a garbage can, get 2 inches from a players face and scream and yell” coaching method still exists in the NHL. It doesn’t. And very few players would respond in a positive manner even IF a coach like that existed. And pointing to any currently employed coach who had a reputation of that method 10-15 years ago doesn’t mean he automatically still does it in 2021. Or a coach who was a tough SOB in his playing days doesn’t automatically make him a mean ol SOB as a coach in 2021.

I know that’s a fun nostalgic thing to reminisce of days gone by. Hell I miss that too! But it’s gone, and not coming back. No matter how hard one wishes, hopes and dreams it would.

And any “hard-nosed” experienced coach isn’t something the Pegulas want. If they did, the last two coaches and two GM hires, wouldn’t have happened.

Lastly, I’m not saying there aren’t potentially better owners itching to own an NHL franchise. But there are most likely many who absolutely suck way more than the Pegulas. I’m personally apprehensive about rolling that dice. Because the retort of “how can it get any worse blah blah” is a non answer void of critical thinking and logic. And just filled with emotion.

Loop Trump GIF

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Zamboni said:

You're taking it too far with the caricature. Nobody says they have to be kicking cans and yelling in faces, but they do need to have the toughness and authority to bench "stars" when they don't play properly and they need an organization that will back them in that. Brind'amour and Carolina was a good example above. Torts with Dubois and then Laine got taken down a notch right away. Florida shipped out the people Quennville didn't want and now they're playing great. 

Here, the inmates run the asylum, and that's a recipe for failure, as we all see. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/16/2021 at 7:59 AM, Sabre fan said:

I see Carolina who are what we can only wish to be, just added a goo done in a trade for Cedric Paquette. Apparently they want to get tougher to play against according to coach Rod Brind'Amour who was a tough SOB when he played. Unlike our pansies who send absolutely no fear through any team. I am sure Brind'Amour or any other coach would accept last night's pathetic effort. NOT  

Agree completely.

Watching Florida/Carolina on NHL Network now and i hate to say it but Carolina looks like a legit SC contender.

Necas very underrated player, Aho is a legit elite star in the making. Jordan Staal is so good too.