Around the NHL: 2021

WildCard

With 4 teams on suspension, were getting close to shut the whole damn thing down territory.   17 players now on the Devils, don't see how they return to play in 6 days... Sabres list will likely grow as well.    

4 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

Watched parts of the  Bos vs Phi game including the end.   Boston doesn’t seem to be missing Krug or Chara, and their 30-somethings still playing at a high level. 

I saw this too. Bruins lack young scoring forwards (just Pasternak) and might be in trouble trying to replace Bergeron Marchand Krejci but they've done an amazing job on their D.  Young and solid. Lauzon and Zboril stepped right in and Miller somehow came back from two broken knees or legs or something. Unbelievable. However they develop their D is what we should be doing. Not rushing them is part of it, but there ahs to be more. 

4 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

I saw this too. Bruins lack young scoring forwards (just Pasternak) and might be in trouble trying to replace Bergeron Marchand Krejci but they've done an amazing job on their D.  Young and solid. Lauzon and Zboril stepped right in and Miller somehow came back from two broken knees or legs or something. Unbelievable. However they develop their D is what we should be doing. Not rushing them is part of it, but there ahs to be more. 

As a Sabres fan, what does 'develop' mean? I've never heard or seen that in Buffalo. 

• Haha (+1) 2

9 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

Watched parts of the  Bos vs Phi game including the end.   Boston doesn’t seem to be missing Krug or Chara, and their 30-somethings still playing at a high level. 

5 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

I watched most of this game too -- very good game between 2 very good teams.  Boston's top line is so good.  Also, they are at the point as a franchise where they can just move young players into the lineup without much of a dropoff.  It's something for the Sabres to aspire to, to be sure.

I was left with the unavoidable conclusion that each of those teams is going to make the playoffs unless it is hit with major injuries.

1 hour ago, nfreeman said:

I watched most of this game too -- very good game between 2 very good teams.  Boston's top line is so good.  Also, they are at the point as a franchise where they can just move young players into the lineup without much of a dropoff.  It's something for the Sabres to aspire to, to be sure.

I was left with the unavoidable conclusion that each of those teams is going to make the playoffs unless it is hit with major injuries.

Boston is not always the best team. But on a consistent basis they are one of the better run organizations. And they are run on a fiscally sound manner in which it is judicious on how they pay their players. They are not cheap but what they don't do is give out ruinous long term contracts that limit their future options. As you point out when you have an established team you are in a better position to insert young players and keep the team functioning at the same high level without the drop-off. Boston has an ethos that stresses their own identity.  As you noted we are not there yet. It's going to take more time. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, nfreeman said:

Remember all those preseasons where people were predicting the Sabres would pass the Bruins because they are old and on the decline and Buffalo is full of Jack and Sam?  Fun times.

• Like (+1) 1

I remember when I think it may have been Jeremy White on WGR who was screaming to the mountaintops that the Sabres should have offer sheeted David Pastrnak when the Bruins were 'on the ropes' with their cap.

Opportunity missed at the time and I feel that way even more now.

EDIT: Of course we will never know if Pasta would have even signed it anyway

Edited by Ruff Around The Edges

16 minutes ago, LaPerreausek said:

I got reprimanded for that post...I was hoping this was a forum where you could post freely unlike the communistic HFboards that I left but I guess not.

Posts like these are always interesting to me because I’ve butted a lot of head, have an openly antagonistic username towards the mods, and pretty much speak as freely as I feel like and have never received a warning point or a PM from a mod. I’m not saying you weren’t, and this isn’t the first post I’ve seen of this nature in my time here, but it always makes me go hmmm...

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, JohnC said:

Boston is not always the best team. But on a consistent basis they are one of the better run organizations. And they are run on a fiscally sound manner in which it is judicious on how they pay their players. They are not cheap but what they don't do is give out ruinous long term contracts that limit their future options. 

The thing is players who go there don't want to leave and a lot of them take hometown discounts.  Most of them love the culture and team comradery and so they are willing to take a little less to stay. There are exceptions, but that's generally why they get away with paying below market value. 

We are the exact opposite. 

2 hours ago, #freejame said:

Posts like these are always interesting to me because I’ve butted a lot of head, have an openly antagonistic username towards the mods, and pretty much speak as freely as I feel like and have never received a warning point or a PM from a mod. I’m not saying you weren’t, and this isn’t the first post I’ve seen of this nature in my time here, but it always makes me go hmmm...

I would comment, but I have already been warned that "I know better" and that I will be punished if treat certain things said as if they are truthful

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

The thing is players who go there don't want to leave and a lot of them take hometown discounts.  Most of them love the culture and team comradery and so they are willing to take a little less to stay. There are exceptions, but that's generally why they get away with paying below market value. 

We are the exact opposite. 

You are right that we are the exact opposite. Look at the amount of the front office and coaching turnover that has occurred since the Pegulas took over. And within that staffing turnover how much self-destructive intrigue has gone on? The LaFontaine saga to this day has not been fully explained. When an owner and franchise have to include a non-disclosure clause with the buy out of the dispatched staffer that is an open admission that the disclosure would be embarrassing to the organization and the parties involved. Compare our tumultuous foolishness to the stability of the Bruin organization?

The Vegas Knights were an expansion team. Almost right from the start this was a highly competitive team that rather quickly was in a Cup championship series. And since their inception they have been one of the better and tougher teams in the league. While the Sabres are in a generational rebuild mode the Golden Knights have started off as a serious team and in their short history remain a serious team. We are not close to getting there yet. 

The Sabres are a franchise that doesn't need any more instability. It needs to have a direction and stick with it.  

3 hours ago, SwampD said:

It's cool seeing the glass gone behind the benches.

Flames/Jets games are fun.

Very close games with a playoff feel. Tonight's game was the 1st of the 4 that has been decided by more than one goal.

Helle and LB have played outstanding and goaltending has been the difference so far.

I was expecting it to be rougher seeing as this is the 4th time they've played and 3rd in a row of 4 in a row.

It seems like the league is filled with former Sabres, playing on teams bottom six mostly, players that either couldn't crack the Sabres lineup or never had a chance yet here they are playing in the NHL and skating regular shifts.

Also, defensemen

8 hours ago, Norcal said:

It seems like the league is filled with former Sabres, playing on teams bottom six mostly, players that either couldn't crack the Sabres lineup or never had a chance yet here they are playing in the NHL and skating regular shifts.

Also, defensemen

Meh ... changing the team, I think is said by every fan of another team too.

On 2/4/2021 at 4:12 PM, #freejame said:

You're name looks familiar from Hfboards