Around the NHL: 2021

WildCard

TO's Nick Robertson suffered a knee injury tonight.  

They're pretty much at the cap w/ only 21 players and the 21st is their kid goalie.  Robertson only makes $825k, so putting him on BF-LTIR will only free up ~ that much cap space.  How do they get an 18th skater into the lineup?

Might be able to upgrade Hutton after all.

Edited by Taro T
  • Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Taro T said:

TO's Nick Robertson suffered a knee injury tonight.  

They're pretty much at the cap w/ only 21 players and the 21st is their kid goalie.  Robertson only makes $825k, so putting him on BF-LTIR will only free up ~ that much cap space.  How do they get an 18th skater into the lineup?

Might be able to upgrade Hutton after all.

They have put Spezza and Dell (goalie who they signed from SJ) on waivers, frees up $1.5 mil I believe.

Sounds like Edmonton could go for Dell and have him wait in TO until the team gets there this week. Spezza could retire if they don't find a way to keep him because he said he plans on retiring in TO

• Thanks (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

They have put Spezza and Dell (goalie who they signed from SJ) on waivers, frees up $1.5 mil I believe.

Sounds like Edmonton could go for Dell and have him wait in TO until the team gets there this week. Spezza could retire if they don't find a way to keep him because he said he plans on retiring in TO

Sabres should make a claim on Dell.  

On 1/16/2021 at 4:20 PM, Taro T said:

Wonder how long the rib will bother him after he gets back?

The answer to that question when a rib injury involved is "indefinitely."  You just get used to playing with the pain and in some indefinite future time realized it doesn't really hurt anymore.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Doohickie said:

The answer to that question when a rib injury involved is "indefinitely."  You just get used to playing with the pain and in some indefinite future time realized it doesn't really hurt anymore.

Yup, probably will bother him the whole season, then get a chance to heal in the offseason.  And when it comes to ribs, when I say “bother him” that often means a take your breath away sort of pain when you move the wrong way.

Edited by Curt
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Dell was claimed by the Devils.

Was hoping the Sabres would end up w/ him.  He's not great, but he should be better than Hutton and has played well at times.

Who had the higher waiver priority? Did we willingly pass him up? 

22 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Don’t worry, they will get it sorted out in time to play us.

You've joined me on the gallows humour side of things quite quickly this season my good man. 

Pull up a stool and a beer. 

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

Who had the higher waiver priority? Did we willingly pass him up? 

You've joined me on the gallows humour side of things quite quickly this season my good man. 

Pull up a stool and a beer. 

Not certain.  Thought the priority stays the same as the preseason order for the 1st 2 weeks but not positive about that.  If so, Sabres couldn't have gotten him even if they tried.

20 hours ago, French Collection said:

Watching Jets vs Leafs.

Jets D is porous, sure helps having Hellebuyck back there.

Sabres need an upgrade at G.

Horrendous if you ask me. Two starters out with Poolman and DeMelo (wife had a kid and he misses 3 or 4 games and kid is healthy?) and Stanley playing in his first ever game. Niku showing everyone he dowsn't belong in the NHL after taking D man of the year in the AHL in his first year there. Great O but lacks sorely on D and I'd like to see him on the taxi squad (back to Finland!). Here's hoping Slamberg or Heinola plays in his spot tonight because Stanley looked better in his 1st game than Niku did!

We'd be out of the playins last year without Helle. Great goalie that NEVER throws anyone under the bus like Pavelec always used to. It can be stated enough how much the D misses Buff. We lost Trouba, Myers, Chiarot and Buff last off-season but Buff is missed the most by far.