Around the NHL: 2021

WildCard

Somebody somewhere asked about Kylington yesterday but I was otherwise preoccupied. 

Kylington is a bit of a reclamation project. He was highly touted in his draft year but slid a bit and I think that is because calgary was never a good fit for him. He is a lefty who would be a far better option than Irwin for this team as at least he has upside. 

Figured I should share this.. 

https://cardiaccane.com/2020/09/24/carolina-hurricanes-mike-maniscalco-to-officially-take-over-play-by-play-duties/

Mike is a Buffalo native. He went to Kenmore East. I knew him and his brother from attending at the same time and I met his future wife before he did when we both attended Geneseo. She's also from Buffalo.  Williamsville East I believe? 

He beat cancer recently and took over PBP last year in the playoffs when Forslund stopped calling games. Looks like he did a bang up job and earned the job for this season.  Pretty damn cool.

• Like (+1) 2

I read last night that Dallas has a delay in their season because of 17 positive tests. 

At least they are getting it early and will be good for the rest of the season, assuming at least temporarily being immune 

Edited by miles

2 minutes ago, miles said:

I read last night that Dallas has a delay in their season because of 17 positive tests. 

At least they are getting it early and will be good for the rest of the season, assuming at least temporarily being immune 

With the compressed schedule, it will be impossible for a team(s) to make up more than a couple of games.  The season can’t be extended because NBC doesn’t want it overlapping the Olympics.  Only choice if a few teams start losing(cancelled) 5 or more games would be to go to point percentage instead of point totals. 

30 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Nope.  There's also forfeit.  You can't field a team?  You lose.

That was constantly debated on sister site TSW during the NFL season. I don’t think it would ever come down to forfeit.  Game would either be squeezed in, or game cancelled. 

29 minutes ago, French Collection said:

Watch the numbers he will put up and all the flak the Sabres get for not keeping him.

I still think he could have helped.

His numbers are going make the Sabres look bad for sure.

And he'd fit our roster nicely if Cozens isn't ready.

Still think the Sabres made the right choice if the arbitration demand was what was rumoured.

I actually won't hold it against them at all if Kahun is good. Would have had to make the same decision myself due to his arbitration rights. If we don't get enough scoring from our bottom 6 I don't need Kahun as a reference point for how and why they should have assembled a better unit. 

Edited by Thorny

20 minutes ago, dudacek said:

His numbers are going make the Sabres look bad for sure.

And he'd fit our roster nicely if Cozens isn't ready.

Still think the Sabres made the right choice if the arbitration demand was what was rumoured.

And considering the Pens walked away from him for a Sheary rental & exclusive negotiating rights w/ Rodrigues until FA opened, that price tag sounds accurate.