Around the NHL: 2021

WildCard

2 hours ago, Curt said:

And all that had to happen to get cap compliant was for their best player to sit out the season!  Genius!  What cap wizards!

Although my understanding is that he will be back for the playoffs, which is kind of a sketchy rule.

Whether it is luck or a manipulation of the system the organization was able for the most part keep their talent laden team in tact. Without question this is one of the best run organizations in hockey. Their extended record of success is a testament to that.  

17 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Whether it is luck or a manipulation of the system the organization was able for the most part keep their talent laden team in tact. Without question this is one of the best run organizations in hockey. Their extended record of success is a testament to that.  

Agreed.  They are well run, but losing your best player for the season is one heck of a brilliant way to keep your team in tact.

3 minutes ago, Curt said:

Agreed.  They are well run, but losing your best player for the season is one heck of a brilliant way to keep your team in tact.

You deal with the circumstances that you are confronted with. What Tampa didn't do is make some premature decisions this offseason because they felt they were forced to with the impending contracts for young talents. They bided their time and dealt with the situation at the right time for them. Showing patience and timing the market was the right move. 

On 12/27/2020 at 1:20 PM, DarthEbriate said:

There is the owner perspective as well that an offer sheet (successful or unsuccessful) also drives up player costs overall for the league, which is bad. And it also reduces their low-cost draft assets. It's a lose-lose for the owners bottom line, unless it helps the team reach and win playoff games.

Except, what drives up player costs is PA actually buying a water at the Sabres game rather than sneaking 1 in or Rogers overpaying for broadcast rights.  😉

Costs are 50% of HRR regardless of whether they on paper are $80MM/ team, $90MM/ team, or $60MM/team.

EDIT: Hadn't seen Dudacek's response at the top of page 3 before posting. 

Edited by Taro T
  • Thanks (+1) 1

As far as Boston goes, I wonder what their plans are on the back end? With Krug and now Chara, they lost 2 of their to 3 minute eaters on the blue line.

Grzelcyk is good enough that he can take some more minutes, but I'm not sure what else they are planning.

Edited by mjd1001
added

Just now, I-90 W said:

So many people are hating on Chara for this online, but can’t fault someone for signing his last good contract. The guy wants to play hockey. Though I’ll still never like him. 

Sound like the Bruins didn’t want him back and he signed with Washington as has perceived best opportunity to get the last laugh.

I tend to lean toward the idea that this makes two division rivals weaker.

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Curt said:

How so?

I think he was referring to the idea Zamboni threw out there that it makes the capitals slower and older on the backend as well as Bawston losing something that was always a strength.

Edited by bunomatic

2 hours ago, Curt said:

How so?

44 minutes ago, bunomatic said:

I think he was referring to the idea Zamboni threw out there that it makes the capitals slower and older on the backend as well as Bawston losing something that was always a strength.

Pretty much. Chara has lost most of his shine on the ice and can get beat by speed. I don’t see him making the Capitals bottom pair any better; they need more speed and puckmoving ability and he actually hurts in that area. I don’t see them in great need of Chara’s leadership either.

Boston may still sign an upgrade, but their bottom pair is worse than the Caps and would be better with Chara. More importantly, I think his loss hurts the Bruins culture.

• Like (+1) 2

48 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Pretty much. Chara has lost most of his shine on the ice and can get beat by speed. I don’t see him making the Capitals bottom pair any better; they need more speed and puckmoving ability and he actually hurts in that area. I don’t see them in great need of Chara’s leadership either.

Boston may still sign an upgrade, but their bottom pair is worse than the Caps and would be better with Chara. More importantly, I think his loss hurts the Bruins culture.

I’m sure they will find another a-hole of some sort to keep their culture going. 

• Haha (+1) 2

11 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

As far as Boston goes, I wonder what their plans are on the back end? With Krug and now Chara, they lost 2 of their to 3 minute eaters on the blue line.

Grzelcyk is good enough that he can take some more minutes, but I'm not sure what else they are planning.

This is what I wonder too. Chara was going for low money and you'd think one more (short) season to plug the holes and provide leadership but I guess they are high on some of their youth. Maybe Kevan Miller is actually fully rehab'ed and ready to go? Either that or maybe Vaakaneinen is ready to step up. Don't know enough about them.