Around the NHL: 2021

WildCard

10 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

There is the owner perspective as well that an offer sheet (successful or unsuccessful) also drives up player costs overall for the league, which is bad. And it also reduces their low-cost draft assets. It's a lose-lose for the owners bottom line, unless it helps the team reach and win playoff games.

Except it doesn’t and it’s hasn’t for years.

Player costs are exactly half of league revenues, no matter much the owners make, or what individual RFAs get paid.

Edited by dudacek
  • Thanks (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Except it doesn’t and it’s hasn’t for years.

Player costs are exactly half of league revenues, no matter much the owners make, or what individual RFAs get paid.

League-wide, yes. The owners should want players making tons because that means the league revenue is higher and the owners make their equal amount. But you know on the individual team level each owner is happy to pay less and get someone on a cheaper contract, even if just because of a possible LTIR or buyout. As you noted on the previous page, the Sens got Stepan and $2M remaining, and not Point's $18M remaining. It's the perception of it.

37 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Because it happened to one guy? Noted arrogant maverick Mike Gillis?

I can see a variation on your theme (and Tom’s) though - the guys that do it are very, very tight with ownership.

Mike Gillis and Jay Feaster both, the only two guys to leave their organization after signing a player to an offer sheet.

Agree, I think a guy generally needs to be very secure in order to do it.

8 minutes ago, Curt said:

Mike Gillis and Jay Feaster both, the only two guys to leave their organization after signing a player to an offer sheet.

Agree, I think a guy generally needs to be very secure in order to do it.

Feaster got hired by Tampa within a few months of getting fired by Calgary. I don’t think the fact he made an offer shot hampered his career at all. The incompetence of the sheet might have.

But I don’t see any evidence of him being blackballed for “breaking the code” at all. 

6 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Feaster got hired by Tampa within a few months of getting fired by Calgary. I don’t think the fact he made an offer shot hampered his career at all. The incompetence of the sheet might have.

But I don’t see any evidence of him being blackballed for “breaking the code” at all. 

Feaster got hired by TB as exec director of hockey development.  It’s basically a community outreach position.  It’s not a front office job and has nothing to do with NHL decisions.

When he got fired by Calgary, it ended his front office career, so far.

3 minutes ago, Curt said:

Feaster got hired by TB as exec director of hockey development.  It’s basically a community outreach position.  It’s not a front office job and has nothing to do with NHL decisions.

When he got fired by Calgary, it ended his front office career, so far.

Yes. I agree.
But I don’t think it was a case of him being blackballed by his peers over his offer sheet. It was more of a Peter principle thing. There are fanbase’s and industry people who think Gillis deserves another shot in an NHL power position. I don’t think anyone thinks that’s the case for Feaster.

Feaster is a very nice man who mostly lucked into a cup in Tampa and showed himself not to be a great GM after that. He got offered a job more suited to his temperament, ability, family and place in life after being fired in Calgary, and he stuck with it, and is happier for it.

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

Yes. I agree.
But I don’t think it was a case of him being blackballed by his peers over his offer sheet. It was more of a Peter principle thing. There are fanbase’s and industry people who think Gillis deserves another shot in an NHL power position. I don’t think anyone thinks that’s the case for Feaster.

Feaster is a very nice man who mostly lucked into a cup in Tampa and showed himself not to be a great GM after that. He got offered a job more suited to his temperament, ability, family and place in life after being fired in Calgary, and he stuck with it, and is happier for it.

But not many had to make future deals with GMs afterward.

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

Ottawa has quietly had a pretty good off-season, if you consider two top-five picks quiet.

Ottawa is putting together a foundation for being good in the future. And you also have to give credit to Tampa for dealing with a tough cap squeeze by smartly maneuvering to keeping their talented core. Tampa has been a well run organization for quite awhile.  

14 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Ottawa is putting together a foundation for being good in the future. And you also have to give credit to Tampa for dealing with a tough cap squeeze by smartly maneuvering to keeping their talented core. Tampa has been a well run organization for quite awhile.  

I guess.  They are spending $100 in real $ for a partial season with little or no fans. What a commitment from ownership.  They also are in a cap squeeze for the following season.

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

Ottawa has quietly had a pretty good off-season, if you consider two top-five picks quiet.

The Dandanov and Josh Brown acquisitions were very good. 

The past two trades are questionable as they netted zero draft picks or prospects while helping two cap strapped teams while getting Ok players

35 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

The Dandanov and Josh Brown acquisitions were very good. 

The past two trades are questionable as they netted zero draft picks or prospects while helping two cap strapped teams while getting Ok players

I meant mostly in terms of the marching orders Melnyk gave out: Dorian added a young starter, good kids and veterans to shield their kids while keeping their actual payroll low and their cap clean for next year.

15 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

If you're an nhl gm worried about your next job, you should be fired. 

That's not fair or valid. Anybody in any workplace knows they further by making connections and having friends in high places. You alienate people and you'll get bit in the butt by your karma so to speak. Hockey GM is no different from any other professional career or corporate job. 

47 minutes ago, Eleven said:

O’Reilly poisoning another dressing room. Blues will never win with a guy like that.

I’d trade him for futures and move on.

• Haha (+1) 2

15 hours ago, JohnC said:

And all that had to happen to get cap compliant was for their best player to sit out the season!  Genius!  What cap wizards!

Although my understanding is that he will be back for the playoffs, which is kind of a sketchy rule.