Around the NHL: 2021

WildCard

• 2 months later...
23 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

B85C8C6E-BA2C-459D-AF0E-8BC70EE2B3C8.jpeg

Might be a mulligan for Adams on this one, but the Hall and Eakin deals are also clear overpayments in the pandemic market as well.

Personally, I'm glad Adams was aggressive on both moves though, given the general (lack of) attractiveness of the Sabres to free agents. At least we plugged those holes.

An extra million for a goalie would have been nice though.

19 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

So what's the point of having offer sheets if no other NHL GM was willing to compensate a single 2nd round pick to sign Cernak anywhere in the $3-3.5M range? (And all the way up to $4.3M.) Cowards.

Can't assume one wasn't offered can we?  He doesn't have to sign an offer sheet.

2 hours ago, LTS said:

Can't assume one wasn't offered can we?  He doesn't have to sign an offer sheet.

Well sure we can't, but what's the fun in that?   ;-]

All I'm saying is Boston lost Krug and could've submitted an offer-sheet to Sergachev. Get a better, up and coming Krug at a cheaper price on a bridge (say $4.2M x 2) at the cost of a 2nd round pick, and then possibly sign him long-term --- OR --- have it get matched by Tampa, putting your main competition in even further financial constraints. And if Sergachev turns down 4.2x2 to sign 3.6x4 (which he did sign with TB) to be off the market longer after the cap goes back up, to play for an equally matched team, but be the top PP guy immediately, he and his agent are foolish. BOS signed Grzelcyk for an identical 4x3.6M deal that Sergachev signed with TB.... Grzelcyk is a good player, but I'll take Sergachev all day of the two.

GMs just aren't using a tool available to them, and they aren't using the cap as a weapon. And they must use all the tools available, especially with a reduced/flat cap for 2 years.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, dudacek said:

Old (Leafs Vesey, Simmonds, Bogosian) division and new (Caps signed Sheary, Pens ERod) rivals continuing to sign Sabre failures is...interesting?

Teams are aware of the "Sabres tax" placed upon players that have been here - it's not a Sabres specific thing, but on bad teams players are made to look worse than they are, due to being counted on for output greater than they are able to provide rather than being surrounded with a support system. 

Saw it with Bogo in the playoffs - he still wasn't good, he was still getting scratched, but he wasn't a disappointment - he was able to provide precisely what they needed from him.  Players having success when they leave isn't really a comment on the Sabres doing anything specifically to turn them into lower-level players here on an individual basis, rather it's a comment on the roster construction as a whole. 

Having said that, while that acquisition philosophy has solid merit, it doesn't apply to all players, and I'd be surprised to see the likes of Vesey and Simmonds succeed even in the limited roles I'm assuming they'll be given. 

19 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

Well sure we can't, but what's the fun in that?   ;-]

All I'm saying is Boston lost Krug and could've submitted an offer-sheet to Sergachev. Get a better, up and coming Krug at a cheaper price on a bridge (say $4.2M x 2) at the cost of a 2nd round pick, and then possibly sign him long-term --- OR --- have it get matched by Tampa, putting your main competition in even further financial constraints. And if Sergachev turns down 4.2x2 to sign 3.6x4 (which he did sign with TB) to be off the market longer after the cap goes back up, to play for an equally matched team, but be the top PP guy immediately, he and his agent are foolish. BOS signed Grzelcyk for an identical 4x3.6M deal that Sergachev signed with TB.... Grzelcyk is a good player, but I'll take Sergachev all day of the two.

GMs just aren't using a tool available to them, and they aren't using the cap as a weapon. And they must use all the tools available, especially with a reduced/flat cap for 2 years.

The offer sheet, while intriguing, comes with consequences. If you, as a GM, utilize this tool (I refuse to use the term "weapon") you risk alienating GMs as a group. Sure, perhaps you get your player, but when you begin reaching out to other GMs to make a trade you might find the responses to be a bit cool or the demands to be a bit high. There's also the obvious expectation that other GMs might offer sheet your team back in retaliation but I don't see that as being as big a deal.

I think it holds a lot of allure for the fans but ultimately it pans out to be nothing. The players probably thought it was a great idea to help drive up contracts but in practice it clearly falls flat.

• Thanks (+1) 1