Sign in to follow this  
Let's Go B-Lo

Who is left that is interesting?

3 minutes ago, JohnC said:

When this bear market shakes out and contracts are severely discounted I would love to see him end up on our roster. I consider him a good third line player who could be a member of a productive lower line for us. What the Kahun saga demonstrates is that our young GM has figured out the market and has adeptly maneuvered in it. The Girgs contract maybe was a little higher than it should have been but it appears that this is a player who Krueger wanted to keep. The one year term for Hall was a move that benefited the Sabres and it gave flexibility/options for the player after this season. In general, Adams has been judiciously active in reworking the roster and maintaining a fiscal  prudence that still allows for some additional moves. So far he has done a good job.

So far, he is showing he MAY be what Botterill was billed as being.  Too early to tell, but he just might be.

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, MODO Hockey said:

Why would you not want Granlund for 700k? 

Im told Granlund and Duchene have had a negative impact on the lockerroom. Obviously it's not something I could ever confirm,  but the guy who told me that is associated with the team and I trust him. Coincidentally (or not), the team has gone to ***** since the two of them arrived in Nashville even though their arrival objectively made the team better. 

On 10/12/2020 at 11:43 AM, Let's Go B-Lo said:

I did a cursory scan and this is what I found.  There may be interesting guys I missed or guys who have since signed

Forwards

Mikael Granlund

Mikkel Boedker

Eric Haula

Mike Hoffman

Evgenii Dadonov

Matt Nieto

Andreas Athanasiou

Alex Galchenyuk

Derick Brassard

Anthony Duclair

Defense

Travis Hamonic

Sami Vatanen

Ben Hutton

Alex Pietrangelo

Goaltender

JF Berube

Jimmy Howard

Craig Anderson

Aaron Dell

Boedkker left the NHL, he signed a 2 year deal in Europe, I'm pretty sure.  Nieto is off the market.  I would say Hutton, Anderson, Haula, Leivo, AA, make some sense.  I think at this stage most of it is trades left.

I’m going to guess Buffalo gets another player, Kahun/etc at a cheap 1/2 year contract. All these players may end up with 1/2 year deals at less than 2mil per year at this rate.

As for Granlund, I’d get Staal’s opinion

I think we're done.  This is the team going into training camp.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Weave said:

Maybe.  But really expect to see a RHD out & someone better than Hutton in.

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Maybe.  But really expect to see a RHD out & someone better than Hutton in.

I'd LIKE to see that, but given what remains and our salary right now, I'm guessing the pencil is put down.

13 minutes ago, Weave said:

I highly doubt they intend to sit around for 2.5 months.

Depending on what’s available after our 3 RFAs are resigned, I could easily imagine us doing more. Mostly I’d guess we at minimum move a RHD

2 hours ago, Hank said:

Im told Granlund and Duchene have had a negative impact on the lockerroom. Obviously it's not something I could ever confirm,  but the guy who told me that is associated with the team and I trust him. Coincidentally (or not), the team has gone to ***** since the two of them arrived in Nashville even though their arrival objectively made the team better. 

I warned about Duchene when a bunch of people were advocating him here. Every team he goes to gets worse and then gets better when he's gone. Granlund idk but I'd steer clear since that rumour is out there. 

With Hall added we have enough scoring talent. We need hard workers, penalty killers, guys with hard work attitudes and grit. Nothing more (maybe a goalie). 

1 hour ago, Weave said:

I'd LIKE to see that, but given what remains and our salary right now, I'm guessing the pencil is put down.

I understand what you are saying but disagree with you. It's not just about bringing in people and squeezing your cap space. You can handle the cap stress by bringing in a player/contract and shipping out a player/contract. The defensive unit is where we can do some shuffling. I'm also hoping that Kahun comes back after he probes the market and finds that the best situation for him is in Buffalo. 

Edited by JohnC

21 hours ago, Taro T said:

So far, he is showing he MAY be what Botterill was billed as being.  Too early to tell, but he just might be.

The former GM has received a lot of criticism that certainly was merited. But the one thing that he did that was smart and proved to be strategic is that he put this team in a position of roster flexibility entering this offseason. He set up a situation where the roster was made up of a large number of players with expiring contracts. So let's give him credit for that. Would he have taken advantage of such a favorable situation? I can't answer that. What I do know is that his successor has seemed to understand the situation he was in and has steadily executed transactions that have taken advantage of it. He started off with the Staal deal where he finally filled the critical 2C position. That is something that Botterill didn't accomplish during his tenure. And that deal turned out to be even more advantageous because it saved cap money. No question the team improved and no question it was a bargain.  His Kahun decision not to give him arbitration money was right. The GM correctly pegged the market value. I like Kahun a lot but the cost/benefit ratio wasn't good enough to retain him at the above market value. I'm hoping that Adams continues to follow his trend in good judgment in the upcoming roster moves. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, bunomatic said:

Looks like Ralph

If Ralph would lay off the espresso machine and switch to a rugged wine, yes. 

E9B9F372-18B4-4F78-BA10-69DA295A47E7.jpeg

Edited by Andrew Amerk
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Andrew Amerk said:

If Ralph would lay off the espresso machine and switch to a rugged wine, yes. 

E9B9F372-18B4-4F78-BA10-69DA295A47E7.jpeg

I still think he resembles his namesake.

43620162-3180-4DC5-BE8F-BAADFD778B46.jpeg

• Haha (+1) 2

22 hours ago, JohnC said:

The former GM has received a lot of criticism that certainly was merited. But the one thing that he did that was smart and proved to be strategic is that he put this team in a position of roster flexibility entering this offseason. He set up a situation where the roster was made up of a large number of players with expiring contracts. So let's give him credit for that. Would he have taken advantage of such a favorable situation? I can't answer that. What I do know is that his successor has seemed to understand the situation he was in and has steadily executed transactions that have taken advantage of it. He started off with the Staal deal where he finally filled the critical 2C position. That is something that Botterill didn't accomplish during his tenure. And that deal turned out to be even more advantageous because it saved cap money. No question the team improved and no question it was a bargain.  His Kahun decision not to give him arbitration money was right. The GM correctly pegged the market value. I like Kahun a lot but the cost/benefit ratio wasn't good enough to retain him at the above market value. I'm hoping that Adams continues to follow his trend in good judgment in the upcoming roster moves. 

Except Botterill pissed away cap space every single year he was here by signing crappy overpriced 3rd and 4th liners so I won't give him credit because we've had cap flexibility multiple offseasons under Botts (at least the last 2) and he did nothing with it but sign garbage. At least Adams doesn't have Vesey and Simmonds back on this team. It was strategic, it was just how he did things pretty much every year. Bring a bunch of castoffs to fill out the bottom of the roster. 

No credit, he wasn't being strategic, he most certainly would not have taken advantage because he didn't in the previous offseason. You are talking about a guy that wanted Berglund for 4 years. He was an idiot who couldn't evaluate talent. 

• Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Except Botterill pissed away cap space every single year he was here by signing crappy overpriced 3rd and 4th liners so I won't give him credit because we've had cap flexibility multiple offseasons under Botts (at least the last 2) and he did nothing with it but sign garbage. At least Adams doesn't have Vesey and Simmonds back on this team. It was strategic, it was just how he did things pretty much every year. Bring a bunch of castoffs to fill out the bottom of the roster. 

No credit, he wasn't being strategic, he most certainly would not have taken advantage because he didn't in the previous offseason. You are talking about a guy that wanted Berglund for 4 years. He was an idiot who couldn't evaluate talent. 

You are missing the point and going off on a tangent issue. My point wasn't that Botterill did an excellent job during his tenure. I didn't even mention his ability to evaluate talent.  My point was simply that because of the way he structured a number of contracts to expire this year the new regime was able to take advantage of a cleaner slate to work with. That's a fact. 

5 minutes ago, JohnC said:

You are missing the point and going off on a tangent issue. My point wasn't that Botterill did an excellent job during his tenure. I didn't even mention his ability to evaluate talent.  My point was simply that because of the way he structured a number of contracts to expire this year the new regime was able to take advantage of a cleaner slate to work with. That's a fact. 

Other than Skinner, who did JBott bring in that you would give a big/ long contract to? Even Skinner's could turn bad (I certainly hope not).

3 minutes ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

Other than Skinner, who did JBott bring in that you would give a big/ long contract to? Even Skinner's could turn bad (I certainly hope not).

I'm not sure what you are getting at. I pointed out that that this offseason the new regime had flexibility to reshape the roster because the previous GM had a roster full of expiring contracts. It seems that so for the new regime is taking advantage of it. That's an accurate representation of the situation. 

1 minute ago, JohnC said:

I'm not sure what you are getting at. I pointed out that that this offseason the new regime had flexibility to reshape the roster because the previous GM had a roster full of expiring contracts. It seems that so for the new regime is taking advantage of it. That's an accurate representation of the situation. 

Botts ineptitude at getting players of value and putting a good product on the ice is why we're at this point. He might have planned to be at this point but, I have no confidence that he could have taken advantage of it in a good way.

He had plenty of opportunities to work on our obvious needs and failed to address them.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

Botts ineptitude at getting players of value and putting a good product on the ice is why we're at this point. He might have planned to be at this point but, I have no confidence that he could have taken advantage of it in a good way.

He had plenty of opportunities to work on our obvious needs and failed to address them.

Again, you are addressing an issue that I didn't bring up. Whether Botterill would have seized the opportunity he created with his negotiated contracts is not the issue I was bringing up. I pointed out that he left the organization with a roster full of expiring contracts that so far the next regime seems to have taken advantage of. That's the issue I was focusing on.  And I believe it is a fair representation of the situation. 

• Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, JohnC said:

Was it smart?

Isn't it easier to add players a couple at a time rather than like 10 at once?

All he needed to do was address a couple of specific needs and failed, so how "smart" was he to think he could replace all those players now? 

So far KA addressed the 2C and signed Hall. That's only 2 moves and the team is significantly better off now. There's no need for a ton of expiring contracts. In fact, some of those expiring contracts (especially the RFA's) could end up hurting us more (see Reinhart). The pandemic situation could be the only reason that helps us this year but still might hurt down the road.

I give Botts no credit for any of this.

3 hours ago, JohnC said:

Again, you are addressing an issue that I didn't bring up. Whether Botterill would have seized the opportunity he created with his negotiated contracts is not the issue I was bringing up. I pointed out that he left the organization with a roster full of expiring contracts that so far the next regime seems to have taken advantage of. That's the issue I was focusing on.  And I believe it is a fair representation of the situation. 

@JohnC  you said it perfectly.  You made no representations that Jbot did a good or bad job, just that he left us with a ton of expiring contracts and because of that KA had this off-season the opportunity to use that flexibility to improve the roster.  I like the Staal and Hall deals as well.  There are people here want to argue everything just for the sake of arguing.  Let it go.

Back on topic.  Any interest in giving Galchenyuk a look see?  The kid is so talented and has been so misused.  I'm wondering if we gave him a prove it contract and some RK magic we could get a huge bargain.  My thought here is that Hall is likely not going to re-sign here.  We have Dahlin and Jokiharju to re-sign next off-season and may also want to re-sign Montour and McCabe and probably don't want another long-term $8-9 deal.   We also don't know if Mitts, Cozens or Quinn will be ready for a top 6 role even after this coming season.  He would be a great insurance policy also for this season if Cozens isn't NHL ready.

I'm thinking 

Hall Jack Reinhart

Skinner Staal VO

Girgensons Galchenyuk Thompson  

Rieder Eakin KO

or 

Hall Jack Reinhart

Skinner Staal Galchenyuk

VO Eakin Thompson

Girgensons Lazar KO

To create cap space, I trade Miller to Philly for Robert Hagg.  This saves 2.2 improves our 3rd LHD over Davidson and gives up money to sign Galchenyuk for 1.5.  Philly has 5 LHD's currently on their roster.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

@JohnC  you said it perfectly.  You made no representations that Jbot did a good or bad job, just that he left us with a ton of expiring contracts and because of that KA had this off-season the opportunity to use that flexibility to improve the roster.  I like the Staal and Hall deals as well.  There are people here want to argue everything just for the sake of arguing.  Let it go.

[I appreciate your comment about responding to people who are misconstruing one's comments in order to use it as a basis to argue against. As you suggest the best response is simply not to engage when the discussion is being deliberately jumbled.]

Back on topic.  Any interest in giving Galchenyuk a look see?  The kid is so talented and has been so misused.  I'm wondering if we gave him a prove it contract and some RK magic we could get a huge bargain.  My thought here is that Hall is likely not going to re-sign here.  We have Dahlin and Jokiharju to re-sign next off-season and may also want to re-sign Montour and McCabe and probably don't want another long-term $8-9 deal.   We also don't know if Mitts, Cozens or Quinn will be ready for a top 6 role even after this coming season.  He would be a great insurance policy also for this season if Cozens isn't NHL ready.

I'm thinking 

Hall Jack Reinhart

Skinner Staal VO

Rieder Eakin KO

or 

Hall Jack Reinhart

Skinner Staal Galchenyuk

VO Eakin Thompson

Girgensons Lazar KO

To create cap space, I trade Miller to Philly for Robert Hagg.  This saves 2.2 improves our 3rd LHD over Davidson and gives up money to sign Galchenyuk for 1.5.  Philly has 5 LHD's currently on their roster.

[With respect to your lineup suggestions as you indicate there are a number of options that should be considered. A player or two can still be brought in with a player or two being sent out (most likely in the defensive unit) to better balance this roster. I'm not saying anything that hasn't been said before but if we can upgrade one of the goalie positions that would be the most consequential upgrade on this roster. With a compressed schedule it is imperative that the goalie position is solidified. 

There is a lot of talk about adding players but getting Skinner back into his sniping form and with internal improvement of the young players this team will get a boost. It is not unfair to say that if the Sabres had a better PK and consistent goaltending this team could have been a playoff team even in a full scheduled year. And with last year's abbreviated schedule the Sabres would definitely have been in the playoffs.] 

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I'm thinking 

Hall Jack Reinhart

Skinner Staal VO

Rieder Eakin KO

or 

Hall Jack Reinhart

Skinner Staal Galchenyuk

VO Eakin Thompson

Girgensons Lazar KO

Edited by JohnC