Who is left that is interesting?

8 hours ago, Turbo44 said:

I absolutely would sign Chara for 1/$2m if he would sign here

as for goalies, you trade for Darcy Kuemper. Top 10 goalie and Ari at 83.5m isn’t  only above the cap, they’re significantly above their self-imposed cap of $70m or so.

kuempers cap hit is $4.5

What do we give up to get Kuemper?  

Yeh goalie is top priority Dell or trade for one,  Im okay with D unless major step up... not seeing that with what is left. Hamonic maybe is a solid defender and decent skater if looking for bottom 3

Edited by North Buffalo
6 hours ago, dudacek said:

I gotta think that anyone else we add will be cheap roster fill for whatever asset we swap out for a goalie or LD.

Ya like Matt Irwin. 

6 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Ya like Matt Irwin. 

How similar in style is Irwin's game to Scandella's?

Wondering because if it is similar, a top 6 of 

Dahlin - Montour

McCabe - Ristolainen 

Irwin - Jokiharju

could work as Henri could probably carry his pair.  He was at times their best D-man when paired w/ Marco.

• Like (+1) 1
21 minutes ago, Taro T said:

How similar in style is Irwin's game to Scandella's?

Wondering because if it is similar, a top 6 of 

Dahlin - Montour

McCabe - Ristolainen 

Irwin - Jokiharju

could work as Henri could probably carry his pair.  He was at times their best D-man when paired w/ Marco.

Could definitely be the case. 

Problem for me is that, I don't see a defender on this roster besides Jokiharju I want getting all the top minutes with Dahlin. Don't really like Montour in that role. Miller might fit if Dahlin is ready to carry the pair, just don't know if Miller is good enough. 

• Thanks (+1) 1
12 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Could definitely be the case. 

Problem for me is that, I don't see a defender on this roster besides Jokiharju I want getting all the top minutes with Dahlin. Don't really like Montour in that role. Miller might fit if Dahlin is ready to carry the pair, just don't know if Miller is good enough. 

Did not mind Montour paired with Dahlin and actually thought they worked fairly well together.   Did not like Montour on the left side at all.

12 minutes ago, dudacek said:

The best comparable I can think of for Irwin is Josh Gorges.

Sorry.

Having a true stay at home D-man on the 3rd pairing might not be horrible provided he pretty much is the 6th D man @ ES.  (Hoping that's the case at any rate.)

Edited by Taro T
13 hours ago, Drag0nDan said:

Okposo, Girgensons seem to have 2 jobs locked up.  Eakin will likely be a line 3 Center.  

There's 4 spots left for cozens, tage, rieder, mitts, asplund, lazar.  I assume the goal is to have a couple PK guys here, but also to have them fly around for about 10 minutes a game.  My guess would be of these 3 its rieder tage cozens with lazar as the extra skater.  Not sure how it all gets broken out (if they keep girgs/okposo together and who centers them if so).

I think if you add another depth forward to compete for a spot its coming through in a trade somehow.

Lazar likely centers the 4th line with Girgs and Okposso.  It’s the third line that is in question.  Eakin at 3C but then Tage and Cozens need to win jobs, not have them handed to them.  There is Reider and I think Kahun could be of value to push Tage and Cozens.  

Asplund and Mitts should not see NHL ice. 

On 10/12/2020 at 8:00 PM, Gabrielor said:

I'm very glad we didn't end up with Hoffman or Granlund on long deals. Those were two Botterill-era mistakes waiting to happen.

I really like granlund. Why do you think they are no good?  He was 70 point guy a couple years ago 

I know its not applicable,  but I would have loved to see risto and okposo to Nashville for Rinne and Watson

Edited by Hank
9 hours ago, miles said:

I really like granlund. Why do you think they are no good?  He was 70 point guy a couple years ago 

I think Granlund is a decent player, but the contract is key, and he was someone I could've been previous management throw 6y 6mil at to be the 2C.

I think Hoffman just isn't a fit now, unless he's also coming very cheap.

2 hours ago, gilbert11 said:

And Dell signs with Toronto.

Cool.  Reinforces my opinion that he's no great shakes.

'Cause if he's a goalie and the Loafs want him, nobody else should.

• Haha (+1) 2
1 hour ago, Gabrielor said:

I think Granlund is a decent player, but the contract is key, and he was someone I could've been previous management throw 6y 6mil at to be the 2C.

I think Hoffman just isn't a fit now, unless he's also coming very cheap.

He is a 50+ point per year guy, and one that had 69 points a few years ago. i certainly wouldnt give him 6yr, but 6mil for 3 years or 4 years would be great. He would be a great #2 center when Staal retires after this season. 

we are paying skinner a lot more for just slightly higher point production.  

I follow both the wild and the sabres, and i was quite disappointed when granlund was traded. Sure Fiala is turning into a great player, but i really liked granlund. his only downside is he was pretty streaky. i remember a few seasons ago he went pointless for 7 games or so, and then had an explosion of points in one game. if i remember correctly he had 2g, 2a to break the streak. im not sure why his points fell so significantly in nashville, but with minnesota he was great. 

Edited by miles
2 minutes ago, miles said:

He is a 50+ point per year guy, and one that had 69 points a few years ago. i certainly wouldnt give him 6yr, but 6mil for 3 years or 4 years would be great. He would be a great #2 center when Staal retires after this season. 

we are paying skinner a lot more for just slightly higher point production.  

I follow both the wild and the sabres, and i was quite disappointed when granlund was traded. Sure Fiala is turning into a great player, but i really liked granlund. his only downside is he was pretty streaky. i remember a few seasons ago he went pointless for 7 games or so, and then had an explosion of points in one game. if i remember correctly he had 2g, 2a to break the streak. im not sure why his points fell so significantly in nashville, but with minnesota he was great. 

Full pass on 2C Granlund.

And please, don't use Skinner's contract to justify other stupid contracts.

Just now, Gabrielor said:

And please, don't use Skinner's contract to justify other stupid contracts.

LOL,fair enough. 

I see Sam getting 6 Million per year, and he is equivalent point wise. 

Granlund looks like he's going to be left on the outside looking in by the flat cap.

Unless he's already got a tentative deal and is waiting on a team to open up space, his best bet is to go the Hall route: one year in a place where there is a perfect fit and a chance to rehabilitate his value.

Wouldn't be surprised in he signs for as little as one year $2 million.

A lot of the same applies to our buddy Kahun.

6 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Granlund looks like he's going to be left on the outside looking in by the flat cap.

Unless he's already got a tentative deal and is waiting on a team to open up space, his best bet is to go the Hall route: one year in a place where there is a perfect fit and a chance to rehabilitate his value.

Wouldn't be surprised in he signs for as little as one year $2 million.

A lot of the same applies to our buddy Kahun.

When this bear market shakes out and contracts are severely discounted I would love to see him end up on our roster. I consider him a good third line player who could be a member of a productive lower line for us. What the Kahun saga demonstrates is that our young GM has figured out the market and has adeptly maneuvered in it. The Girgs contract maybe was a little higher than it should have been but it appears that this is a player who Krueger wanted to keep. The one year term for Hall was a move that benefited the Sabres and it gave flexibility/options for the player after this season. In general, Adams has been judiciously active in reworking the roster and maintaining a fiscal  prudence that still allows for some additional moves. So far he has done a good job. 

• Like (+1) 3