when will luukkonen be called up do you think?

miles

how long before ukko pekka luukkonen will be called up. any chance its this year as a part time backup? or is he 2 to 3 years our? is he still projected to be a great goaltender? or is he another ullmark (should be career backup)?

I dont follow the lower levels of hockey, but it looks like he had a rough go at it in Rochester, but did well with the cyclones. I was able to watch i think 2 games on the tv with him playing, and he looked OK to me, but i am nowhere near able to judge talent. 

2 hours ago, Norcal said:

He's the starter in Rochester this year with a call up or two. Maybe he gets hot and leads the Sabres on a long playoff run later in the season. It happens other places, why not?  

If he’s the starter in Roch.... the team is in trouble. AT BEST he’s the backup in Roch. Most likely he starts in cinci

Edited by Zamboni

The proper path for UPL will be to start the season splitting time with Johansson and then, through his play, taking over the top spot by the time the playoffs roll around.

Next year he will be the uncontested number one down there.

The year after is the first he could realistically push for time in Buffalo.

It will be a huge disappointment for him to start this season in Cincinnati (assuming there is an AHL season). The kid spent last season coming back from double hip surgery and still dominated the ECHL. He's a talent and he needs to take the next step for his development.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 3

Nice to be just looking to add a backup goaltender... at least for one year.  Maybe some trades to reconfigure the D... though I don't think Risto goes anywhere.  Sabres need his big body.  Would love it if they could find another big body to go along with him and reduce his minutes.  But with Borgen ready to step up it gives the Sabres some options.

12 hours ago, pastajoe said:

Most likely he’ll play another year in Cincinnati, and then move up to Rochester. At least two more years in the minors.

It would be a major disappointment if UPL spent another year in the ECHL.  I would think he is starting at least half of the games with the Amerks this year...assuming there is an AHL season.

1 hour ago, Gabrielor said:

Not this year, unless something disastrous happens, or he dominates the AHL.

I imagine he's a backup to Johansson right now, who has an AHL all-star last year. I like 6K, but he's got a ways to go. Hasn't established himself in the AHL yet. 

Thank you. People seem to forget Johansson played really well last year for Rochester.

So 5k to Rochester, what about DiPietro from Cincinnati could move him to Rochester as bkup and Johannson to Buffalo.  Not saying that is what they are thinking but I guess it could be... then need to find a goalie for Cincinnati. 

Edited by North Buffalo

50 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

So 5k to Rochester, what about DiPietro from Cincinnati could move him to Rochester as bkup and Johannson to Buffalo.  Not saying that is what they are thinking but I guess it could be... then need to find a goalie for Cincinnati. 

My recollection was that Johannson did not look ready for the NHL in his handful of appearances last season.

1 hour ago, North Buffalo said:

What about this Houser guy mentioned in the Amerks thread?

5 hours ago, Weave said:

My recollection was that Johannson did not look ready for the NHL in his handful of appearances last season.

Your recollection is correct.  I saw him play in one game live and he clearly was not ready for the NHL.  It's not to say he won't/can't develop, but he played like a rookie who was overwhelmed.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.