Sign in to follow this  
Brawndo

Taylor Hall signing: 8 million one yr with Sabres

5 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Nobody expects Taylor Hall to elevate the Sabres into the playoffs, or to stick around after this season.

Nobody is pitching this as the move that will bring the Sabres back to respectability.

Basically, the league thinks the Sabres are beyond saving. Hall is going to use Eichel to springboard himself into a big long-term contract next year in the place where he really wants to go. And then Eichel can follow so they don’t have to pay any attention to the franchise any more. The Sabres should be content to get a jolt of excitement for their marketing department. Here’s a pat on the head.

I so badly want the players and organization to feed off their patronizing attitudes and make next season a huge FU to the hockey establishment.

I grow so weary of the hockey establishment; I’d love for the Sabres to burn it down by going on an “Us against the world!” Tour

• Like (+1) 7

5 hours ago, matter2003 said:

We could make the playoffs...

end this drought right now...

but for this to succeed, 

there is someone else we need!

Taylor Hall! 

Cause he knows what to do with the puck on his stick!

Taylor Hall!

Noone has his resilience or matches Eichel's practical, tactical brilliance!

Taylor Hall!

We are gonna need someone like him eventually,

what's he gonna do on the bench, I mean??

Taylor Hall!

You want to fight for the Atlantic back?

You need Eichel's right hand man back!

Taylor Hall!

Get Eichel's right hand man back...gotta get Eichel's right hand man back!

Gotta get his agent on the phone and get Eichel's right hand man back...

Taylor Hall...Eichel's waiting here for you....

If you sign by tomorrow night...

the playoffs will be ours by early light...

The Atlantic will never be the same....

Taaaaayyyyyyyyloooooooorrrrrrr Haaaaaallllllll......

You've inspired me to write a Haiku about Taylor. 

Buff - a - lo signs  Hall

League - ques-tions  mo-ti-va-tion

Sab-res must win Now

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, dudacek said:

What other teams are saying about the Hall signing:

https://theathletic.com/2136381/2020/10/14/execs-unfiltered-thoughts-on-hall-trades-and-every-nhl-teams-offseason-so-far/

The Sabres pulled off the most surprising move of free agency in signing Taylor Hall to a one-year deal worth $8 million. And while execs certainly liked the move for the Sabres, there was a healthy dose of skepticism as to what drove Hall to make the decision.

“I was very surprised,” said an Eastern Conference exec. “He told everybody that his priority is winning and he wants to go somewhere he can win. He was asking teams questions like, ‘How quickly can you win?’ If he went to Colorado or Boston or Dallas or somebody like that for one year, I get it. A team that’s still rebuilding? I don’t get it unless it’s about money.”

A Western Conference exec echoed those thoughts: “Everything we heard is he was going to go somewhere to win for a year and then sign big money afterward. I can’t say he can’t win in Buffalo but it’s not like him signing in Colorado. I would imagine (the Sabres) were the highest bidder at one year, $8 million. It’s not to say they couldn’t have a decent team, they could.”

In terms of what Buffalo is getting, the one year contract mitigates a lot of risk for the Sabres, who now get an opportunity to do a full evaluation of Hall moving forward.

“Look, he’s been an unreal player in his career and was full value for winning MVP,” said another exec. “It’s also fair to say he had a pretty significant injury a couple years ago and his play has fallen off since then. Your evaluation on him is based on how much you can think he can bounce back to the level he was before. If he can get anything close to that, he’s a superstar.”

The trade for Eric Staal was universally praised. There’s no question the Sabres upgraded their roster, the question is going to be whether or not the results will be dramatic enough to please the most important people, like say, Jack Eichel.

“I liked some of their moves, I don’t know what they’re thinking defensively,” said another executive. “I like the Staal trade a lot. Hall for a year is low-risk. They’re in a tough position. It’s not an easy job to go into a situation where you have a star player (in Jack Eichel) antsy to win and a team that’s not all that close to winning and trying to navigate that. It’s not easy. Those are two specific moves that help.”

I read these comments and you could just see that one of these “exec” (or someone like him) leaked the Eichel trade rumor. I get that the NYRs did make a phone call (as any GM is free to do), but there was zero substance in that non-story. I wouldn’t be surprised if they caught wind of the Sabres’ Hall interest and decided to use a tool in their toolbox. 

5 minutes ago, kas23 said:

I read these comments and you could just see that one of these “exec” (or someone like him) leaked the Eichel trade rumor. I get that the NYRs did make a phone call (as any GM is free to do), but there was zero substance in that non-story. I wouldn’t be surprised if they caught wind of the Sabres’ Hall interest and decided to use a tool in their toolbox. 

How can there be zero substance to the story if there was a phone call and inquiry? Wild and far fetch proposals that are unlikely to be acted on are made between organizations all the time. This rumor was actually true because it was acknowledged by Buffalo's GM. 

10 minutes ago, JohnC said:

How can there be zero substance to the story if there was a phone call and inquiry? Wild and far fetch proposals that are unlikely to be acted on are made between organizations all the time. This rumor was actually true because it was acknowledged by Buffalo's GM. 

I didn’t say it was a lie, but that there was zero substance to it because anyone is free to call GM Adams and ask for them for a trade. That’s not what I would consider as news as it probably happens a few times per day. Considering there’s no tollbooth to such an action, then why would anyone care? Do people run stories about when a GM ties their shoes? These are not substantial occurrences. Given that, this story was then twisted into the Sabres entertaining trade offers and that Eichel may have requested a trade and was possibly unhappy. That was the story, not that the Rangers called once about Eichel. That was cleared up by Adams, not the dude that tweeted the story.

1 minute ago, kas23 said:

I didn’t say it was a lie, but that there was zero substance to it because anyone is free to call GM Adams and ask for them for a trade. That’s not what I would consider as news as it probably happens a few times per day. Considering there’s no tollbooth to such an action, then why would anyone care? Do people run stories about when a GM ties their shoes? These are not substantial occurrences. Given that, this story was then twisted into the Sabres entertaining trade offers and that Eichel may have requested a trade and was possibly unhappy. That was the story, not that the Rangers called once about Eichel. That was cleared up by Adams, not the dude that tweeted the story.

The hockey game, like every sport, swirls with rumors. Most lack merit while some do. It's an aspect of the game that engages fans. Discussing these flimsy stories is the fun part of the business for fans during the season and keeps up interest in the offseason. You keep bringing up that there was zero substance to the rumor. How can that be when it actually happened? No one is arguing that the actual spit balling inquiry was going to materialize into a deal. This story was not twisted. It was acknowledged by our GM as a fact. So to say that it was twisted is false. 

GMs from teams are in constant communication during the season and offseason. Making improbable proposals for the sake of probing for other deals happen all the time. There is no conspiracy or act of sabotage here in the public acknowledgment of a true story. It happens all the time and it encourages fan discussions about the sport.  

I think this is a great move.  Maybe Hall leaves after a great year with Eichel, maybe he stays somehow.  

Staal and now Hall.  I think Eakin and Reider will help too.  

Keep it going.  Get a goalie, then balance out the defense (right to left) while adding a prospect.  

If just one of Cozens or Tage can be a solid forward that would be a huge bonus. Don’t forget players like Dahlin, Skinner, and Reinhart.  Its time for this team to take a jump, now they have the talent to do it. 

Edited by Pimlach
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

9 hours ago, dudacek said:

What other teams are saying about the Hall signing:

https://theathletic.com/2136381/2020/10/14/execs-unfiltered-thoughts-on-hall-trades-and-every-nhl-teams-offseason-so-far/

The Sabres pulled off the most surprising move of free agency in signing Taylor Hall to a one-year deal worth $8 million. And while execs certainly liked the move for the Sabres, there was a healthy dose of skepticism as to what drove Hall to make the decision.

“I was very surprised,” said an Eastern Conference exec. “He told everybody that his priority is winning and he wants to go somewhere he can win. He was asking teams questions like, ‘How quickly can you win?’ If he went to Colorado or Boston or Dallas or somebody like that for one year, I get it. A team that’s still rebuilding? I don’t get it unless it’s about money.”

A Western Conference exec echoed those thoughts: “Everything we heard is he was going to go somewhere to win for a year and then sign big money afterward. I can’t say he can’t win in Buffalo but it’s not like him signing in Colorado. I would imagine (the Sabres) were the highest bidder at one year, $8 million. It’s not to say they couldn’t have a decent team, they could.”

In terms of what Buffalo is getting, the one year contract mitigates a lot of risk for the Sabres, who now get an opportunity to do a full evaluation of Hall moving forward.

“Look, he’s been an unreal player in his career and was full value for winning MVP,” said another exec. “It’s also fair to say he had a pretty significant injury a couple years ago and his play has fallen off since then. Your evaluation on him is based on how much you can think he can bounce back to the level he was before. If he can get anything close to that, he’s a superstar.”

The trade for Eric Staal was universally praised. There’s no question the Sabres upgraded their roster, the question is going to be whether or not the results will be dramatic enough to please the most important people, like say, Jack Eichel.

“I liked some of their moves, I don’t know what they’re thinking defensively,” said another executive. “I like the Staal trade a lot. Hall for a year is low-risk. They’re in a tough position. It’s not an easy job to go into a situation where you have a star player (in Jack Eichel) antsy to win and a team that’s not all that close to winning and trying to navigate that. It’s not easy. Those are two specific 

I think Hall signed for one year with the promised to play with Jack. The teamimproves enough to make the playoffs, but the Sabres are not enough to win a cup. Hall sits down with Adam's to figure out which team they think has the best chance to win the cup and negotiates with only team for the best package of picks and young players for Hall. The next off season Hall signs a one year with Buffalo and the do it again. Until the year where they feel his best chance is staying in Buffalo,  that's when they sign him to an extension. 

Has anyone brought up that this is a win...win situation for the Sabres and Hall. 

The Sabres get an elite winger to play with Jack.  If he helps them get to the playoffs, great. It ends the drought and would be worth every penny.  If for some reason the Sabres still struggle they have a pending UFA they can trade to a contender and get multiple prospects and or draft picks back in return.

Hall gets to play with an elite center in a contract year in hopes of regaining MVP type play and sign a big multi year contract.  If he is moved at the deadline it would be to a contender and he would still have a chance to win the cup.

25 minutes ago, Hank said:

I think Hall signed for one year with the promised to play with Jack. The teamimproves enough to make the playoffs, but the Sabres are not enough to win a cup. Hall sits down with Adam's to figure out which team they think has the best chance to win the cup and negotiates with only team for the best package of picks and young players for Hall. The next off season Hall signs a one year with Buffalo and the do it again. Until the year where they feel his best chance is staying in Buffalo,  that's when they sign him to an extension. 

So, following the Blues Tkachuk model?  Sweet.  (Hopefully it works out better. 😉 )

On 10/11/2020 at 9:08 PM, miles said:

i was supposed to go last season. i had tickets to the end of march, which was obviously cancelled. unfortunately its unlikely i will ever get the opportunity to go again. i always dreamed of gong to see the sabres in buffalo

When things get back to normal you have to make the trip. We travel once a year from the opposite side of the state and it's always a blast; stay at the Harborcenter, get 716 for dinner.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, I-90 W said:

When things get back to normal you have to make the trip. We travel once a year from the opposite side of the state and it's always a blast; stay at the Harborcenter, get 716 for dinner.

I got some dinner suggestions

On 10/14/2020 at 7:18 PM, thewookie1 said:

I grow so weary of the hockey establishment; I’d love for the Sabres to burn it down by going on an “Us against the world!” Tour

Not sure this team has that level of heart yet. 

Let’s say all goes well and Hall has a great season. Can we afford to re-sign him?  We have about 40 mill committed to 9 players (7F 2D) with Dahlin and Joker as RFAs and Montour, McCabe, Staal and of course Hall as UFAs. Depending on the contracts for VO, Reinhart and Ullmark we could have another 13 mill added to the 40 mill or up to another 3 players to re-sign.

Sounds like chaos, but do we want to invest 35 mill on 4 forwards (Eichel, Reinhart, Hall and Skinner) plus Dahlin and KO still here? 

IF Hall has a 70+  point season.... he’ll request (and get from some team) a 10 mil. per contract. Probably 5-7 years too. 
So can the Sabres afford it? Probably not. Unless we move Okposo and Risto. And probably a little more than that too.

31 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Let’s say all goes well and Hall has a great season. Can we afford to re-sign him?  We have about 40 mill committed to 9 players (7F 2D) with Dahlin and Joker as RFAs and Montour, McCabe, Staal and of course Hall as UFAs. Depending on the contracts for VO, Reinhart and Ullmark we could have another 13 mill added to the 40 mill or up to another 3 players to re-sign.

Sounds like chaos, but do we want to invest 35 mill on 4 forwards (Eichel, Reinhart, Hall and Skinner) plus Dahlin and KO still here? 

It's kinda why I think the Sabres won't go long-term with Reinhart right now unless they can get a bargain, and are probably quietly talking to Dahlin.

They are going to watch things play out this year, but they will have to keep their powder dry for those two over Sam, particularly with the Skinner deal and the fact the cap won't be going up again.

Another under-discussed situation: Montour and McCabe are UFAs at the end of this season and Risto and Miller the next.

They have about $41 million committed already to next year, meaning $40 million for Dahlin, Jokiharju, Reinhart, Olofsson, Ullmark and maybe Hall, plus replacements for Montour, McCabe, Staal and another goalie.

11 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I got some dinner suggestions

Not sure this team has that level of heart yet. 

I’m all ears for the dinner suggestions. 716 is good and convienant but the last two years it gave me diarrhea.

Also last season was there during the Bills playoff game (had already scheduled weeks in advance) right after our Sabres game and it was NUTS. More power to them, but prefer a more chill laid back place. 

Edited by I-90 W

As I've said previously, I think there is a good chance that Hall has a big year on Eichel's wing, and that he likes it here enough to sign an extension -- and that the Sabres will be very interested in doing so.  If that's the case, their decision on Reino will be informed by a desire to maintain sufficient payroll flexibility to allow them to sign Hall.

It doesn't seem likely that Reino would sign a long-term deal that is cheap enough (i.e. $5MM per year or less) for the Sabres to feel like they would still have enough room for what it will take to keep Hall (which, if Hall is happy here, I think will be about what Skinner got).

The Sabres might be OK with going through arbitration with Reino, since it would only be a 1-year deal and he would still be RFA at the end of it.

It's a very interesting situation.

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Not a problem.  This is where the expansion draft is going to help us.  Okposo and our 2021 1st or Skinner and our 2nd to Seattle for the win.  Throw in a prospect or two to make the Okposo deal happen and we are in business.  We can be win now and win for the next 5 years if this is played right.  

Edited by SHAAAUGHT!!!
Okposo and 1st OR Skinner and 2nd

43 minutes ago, SHAAAUGHT!!! said:

Not a problem.  This is where the expansion draft is going to help us.  Okposo and our 2021 1st or Skinner and our 2nd to Seattle for the win.  Throw in a prospect or two to make the Okposo deal happen and we are in business.  We can be win now and win for the next 5 years if this is played right.  

I wonder if that would be enough to get Seattle to take Skinner?  They are going to regret that contract a lot more than even Okposo's.  In fact, even if Hall loves Buffalo and wants to stay beyond this season, I can't see how it happens as long as Skinner is a Sabre.

37 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

I wonder if that would be enough to get Seattle to take Skinner?  They are going to regret that contract a lot more than even Okposo's.  In fact, even if Hall loves Buffalo and wants to stay beyond this season, I can't see how it happens as long as Skinner is a Sabre.

We shouldn't have to give up a first to Seattle OR Skinner. Ya sure maybe if Skinner comes out and has another down year. Are we really going to want to unload a 30 goal scorer if he returns to form, in his prime, when hopefully we'll be a playoff team?

If our top 6 next year looks as good as it does on paper (honestly I think this is being undersold in the hockey world, at large), I think it's one we are going to want to keep together if possible. Our window starts now. 

Edited by Thorny