Taylor Hall signing: 8 million one yr with Sabres

Brawndo

Journalistic integrity is a vital weapon to defend against information warfare.

Just as it is between states and between competing corporations, information warfare will soon be waged in the professional sports industry, if it isn't already.

The power of viral rumors and misinformation will be leveraged by teams' social media and their fanbases against opponents to weaken their competitiveness. 

"Jack Eichel gave the Buffalo Sabres an ultimatum."

"Kevyn Adams is taking calls regarding trading Jack Eichel."

"Taylor Hall only signed with Buffalo to get an even bigger contract next UFA period."

Facts only need to be twisted or spun slightly to create a stir and a PR situation that burns wild.  It took three-plus definitive statements by the GM and one by the player's agent to put the Jack Eichel fire down to a smolder (but not completely extinguished).

• Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Well. Since I couldn’t care less about “That’s Hockey” show ... I couldn’t care less about what their opinions are about any trades let alone the Sabres.

unfortunately, i signed up for the sirius xm to listen to the hockey talks. i didnt know it was going to be so biased. 

25 minutes ago, IKnowPhysics said:

Just as it is between states and between competing corporations, information warfare will soon be waged in the professional sports industry, if it isn't already.

The power of viral rumors and misinformation will be leveraged by teams' social media and their fanbases against opponents to weaken their competitiveness. 

"Taylor Hall only signed with Buffalo to get an even bigger contract next UFA period."

Facts only need to be twisted or spun slightly to create a stir and a PR situation that burns wild.  It took three-plus definitive statements by the GM and one by the player's agent to put the Jack Eichel fire down to a smolder (but not completely extinguished).

Well, that's too bad. 

TSN is a national sports network, not a hockey team.

- - - 

Anyways, no point venturing further down that line of discussion as it's only going to move further from the main topic. 

Edited by Thorny

While technically journalism, the production of written and broadcast material covering the topic of NHL hockey is not really journalism. There aren't Woodwards and Bernsteins gum-shoeing their way in tunnels in arenas trying to get that critical third source. JHC, it's hockey.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, miles said:

dont understand journalist inserting their thoughts and opinions on stuff.

I miss the days of just reporting the news and letting people have their opinions based on facts. 

Even those facts are not accurate when you have reports like we had in nj saying our cases are as high as they were in may

We had basically the same amount since may to now, around 500. 1 minute of research showed that it was click bait fear mongering.  We are not any worse off than we have been for the last 4 months.

Its exhausting and in my opinion the media has lost integrity and should be taken as " reality TV "

What do you expect reporters or those involved in the sports media world to do on TV, radio, internet, blogs, twitter etc to do? Be bland and spout statistics or the company line. One of the central purposes of this industry is to give their opinions and promote interest? They are talking sports to entertain and to stir reactions. What's wrong with that? What do you want them to do?  

3 minutes ago, JohnC said:

What do you expect reporters or those involved in the sports media world to do on TV, radio, internet, blogs, twitter etc to do? Be bland and spout statistics or the company line. One of the central purposes of this industry is to give their opinions and promote interest? They are talking sports to entertain and to stir reactions. What's wrong with that? What do you want them to do?  

report the facts only. let people make their own decisions. 

1 hour ago, IKnowPhysics said:

How do rumors and misinformation leveraged by teams' social media and fanbases against opponents weaken their competitiveness? The nature of sports includes  a lot of surrounding noise from a variety of sources. That is an inescapable part of the entertainment business. And it is good for business because it promotes interest in it. 

2 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Exactly why real newspapers when they existed had what wss called a editorial page where readers knew this isn't "the news" but the writers opinion. Unfortunately we now live in mostly an editorial world presented as news.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, JohnC said:

In the discussion leading up to his post, one of the things we were discussing was how the spin was taking place in a segment where it's usually just "the news". It's the opinion being framed as news that's the issue. 

By all means, have an insider come on for a segment and rip the move and all things Sabres. But it wasn't framed as an opinion, that's not what the segment was. It was merely the announcement of the signings. No other signing had editorialized content in the segment, I watched the segment. 

Edited by Thorny

2 minutes ago, miles said:

report the facts only. let people make their own decisions. 

The Sabres should do this and not that. This player is better than that player. The coach is good or is it bad. When you are in the opinion business you give opinions. When you are reporting about the law business you give opinions. When you are reporting about the entertainment business you give opinions. When covering politics and the financial field often involves giving opinions. etc. etc. 

1 hour ago, IKnowPhysics said:

Jon Stewart has an interview where he talks about spinning stories. It's a really good watch.

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

In the discussion leading up to his post, one of the things we were discussing was how the spin was taking place in a segment where it's usually just "the news". It's the opinion being framed as news that's the issue. 

By all means, have an insider come on for a segment and rip the move and all things Sabres. But it wasn't framed as an opinion, that's not what the segment was. 

You as a person who diligently and intelligently follows the sport should be discerning enough to know what is what. When making a determination it is not about a report but a collection of reports that should give you a more accurate depiction of what is happening. What makes sports fun to follow beyond the wins and losses are listening to different views and having different views. 

7 minutes ago, Radar said:

Exactly why real newspapers when they existed had what wss called a editorial page where readers knew this isn't "the news" but the writers opinion. Unfortunately we now live in mostly an editorial world presented as news.

It's a different world out there than the so called good old days. And it has been different for a long time. And don't kid yourself the olden days of the editorial tinge not being involved in the paper in general never existed. It's a figment of one's clouded memory. 

Just now, JohnC said:

You as a person who diligently and intelligently follows the sport should be discerning enough to know what is what. When making a determination it is not about a report but a collection of reports that should give you a more accurate depiction of what is happening. What makes sports fun to follow beyond the wins and losses are listening to different views and having different views. 

I think they have a responsibility to differentiate between fact and opinion, that's all I am saying. Their framing was highly (and I'd say intentionally) suspect. 

But I digress. Wildly off topic now. 

8 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Jon Stewart has an interview where he talks about spinning stories. It's a really good watch.

Many stories if not most stories do get spun. That's the reality.   It comes from the eyes of the reporter/s. So that shouldn't be surprising that there is a human element to the reporting. That is why it's a good idea to get your information from a variety of sources. 

• Like (+1) 1

The nature of sports includes  a lot of surrounding noise from a variety of sources. That is an inescapable part of the entertainment business. And it is good for business because it promotes interest in it. 

Absolutely agree.  Specifically, it's economically good for the media businesses reporting the information as content, as their revenue is aided by views/clicks/etc.  That's how TSN makes their money and that's why EPSN reports more than the final scores.  The league and teams might benefit as the league media contracts swell, but it's a secondary or tertiary effect.

How do rumors and misinformation leveraged by teams' social media and fanbases against opponents weaken their competitiveness?

Does Taylor Hall sign with the Buffalo Sabres if there's a persisting rumor Jack EIchel will be traded?  Maybe or maybe not, but it sure doesn't help the Sabres' case to land Taylor Hall.  The front office confirmed they used playing with Jack Eichel as a major selling point for Hall; Hall confirms he looks forward to playing ona  team with elite players like Jack Eichel.

I can't find it now, but there was at least speculation, if not a source-confirmation, somewhere that the Sabres front office was quietly pissed that Jack Eichel trade rumors were spun up bigly at a national level just a couple of weeks before free agency- the feeling was that this hampered their ability to sell the team to UFAs that wanted to win.

It sounds stupid, but this ***** works in politics and other industries and it won't surprise me when it's tried in professional sports.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

So, trim it back to 210-230.  Point still stands. 😉

You may be kidding a bit, but.......I doubt he is anywhere near 230.

He was listed at 193 last season.  Eliteprospects has him listed at 205 right now.  I doubt he ever gets up past 220Lbs.

3 minutes ago, IKnowPhysics said:

It sounds stupid, but this ***** works in politics and other industries and it won't surprise me when it's tried in professional sports.

Let me correct this.

It sounds stupid, but this ***** works in politics and other industries, and it's already being used in professional sports, and it won't surprise me when it's tried in the NHL.

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Curt said:

You may be kidding a bit, but.......I doubt he is anywhere near 230.

He was listed at 193 last season.  Eliteprospects has him listed at 205 right now.  I doubt he ever gets up past 220Lbs.

He looked pretty big in the photo Brawndo posted.  Would not be at all surprised if he's 210.

1 minute ago, IKnowPhysics said:

Absolutely agree.  Specifically, it's economically good for the media businesses reporting the information as content, as their revenue is aided by views/clicks/etc.  That's how TSN makes their money and that's why EPSN reports more than the final scores.  The league and teams might benefit as the league media contracts swell, but it's a secondary or tertiary effect.

Does Taylor Hall sign with the Buffalo Sabres if there's a persisting rumor Jack EIchel will be traded?  Maybe or maybe not, but it sure doesn't help the Sabres' case to land Taylor Hall.  The front office confirmed they used playing with Jack Eichel as a major selling point for Hall; Hall confirms he looks forward to playing ona  team with elite players like Jack Eichel.

I can't find it now, but there was at least speculation, if not a source-confirmation, somewhere that the Sabres front office was quietly pissed that Jack Eichel trade rumors were spun up bigly at a national level just a couple of weeks before free agency- the feeling was that this hampered their ability to sell the team to UFAs that wanted to win.

With respect to Eichel trade rumor it wasn't a rumor. A team made an inquiry. Our GM even acknowledged it. So what. Swirling rumors that have substance and do not have substance are part of landscape. You can't avoid it. Sometimes it is smart to acknowledge it and sometimes not. Sometimes rumors can cause internal problems with players and sometimes it causes problems for management. It's part of the nuisance that all sides of the business have to deal with. As you noted it's part of the landscape in the political, business, entertainment etc. The bottom line is when you are in an environment you can't control then you learn to live and adjust to it. What other option is there?

2 minutes ago, JohnC said:

With respect to Eichel trade rumor it wasn't a rumor. A team made an inquiry. Our GM even acknowledged it. So what. Swirling rumors that have substance and do not have substance are part of landscape. You can't avoid it. Sometimes it is smart to acknowledge it and sometimes not. Sometimes rumors can cause internal problems with players and sometimes it causes problems for management. It's part of the nuisance that all sides of the business have to deal with. As you noted it's part of the landscape in the political, business, entertainment etc. The bottom line is when you are in an environment you can't control then you learn to live and adjust to it. What other option is there?

It's there.  It will be exploited.  It won't be exploited equitably among all teams.

I'm not saying there's any way to stop it.  But journalistic integrity can help to both slow it and keep it equitable.

47 minutes ago, JohnC said:

It's a different world out there than the so called good old days. And it has been different for a long time. And don't kid yourself the olden days of the editorial tinge not being involved in the paper in general never existed. It's a figment of one's clouded memory. 

Totally disagree that today's "news" is as separated from bias opinion. Don't know how o!d you.

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

He looked pretty big in the photo Brawndo posted.  Would not be at all surprised if he's 210.

Maybe.  I hope so.

I just dream about the team with a 65+ point Dahlin, 95+ point Eichel, 75+ point Hall, 60+ point Reinhart, 30 goal Olofsson, 35 goal Skinner, and 50+ point Staal.  Then a couple exciting youngsters in Cozens and Thompson.

SMH

• Like (+1) 2

36 minutes ago, Curt said:

Maybe.  I hope so.

I just dream about the team with a 65+ point Dahlin, 95+ point Eichel, 75+ point Hall, 60+ point Reinhart, 30 goal Olofsson, 35 goal Skinner, and 50+ point Staal.  Then a couple exciting youngsters in Cozens and Thompson.

SMH

I felt it move

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.