Taylor Hall signing: 8 million one yr with Sabres

Brawndo

1 hour ago, LabattBlue said:

If he is signed to a new deal by the Sabres, I may turn in my fan card. 

...but then again he would fit right in as another player on the wrong side of 30(or soon to be) with a big contract. 

You and I both. Under Ralph Hall looks totally washed up. Don’t know why anyone would sign this player to an extension at this point. He looks like a shell of his former self.

18 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

I would be totally in favour of signing Hall long-term.

100%

He is a dynamic player and a game changer.  We have him.  We need to keep him.  This season is a complete waste anyway.

Depends on the contract for me.  I think I would have to pass on a 5+ years, and/or $7M+

On 2/17/2021 at 12:00 PM, #freejame said:

What would Hall even fetch at the deadline? I’m thinking it’s much less than others are anticipating. 

Kane -- also on an expiring contract -- got O'Regan, a conditional 1st/2nd depending on re-signing, and a conditional 4th. Hall is not having nearly the season Kane did in his trade year, but is still producing PP assists (yay!). We could get upgrade to a legit NHL prospect (like a teams 4th/5th best prospect) OR get another pick if we retained salary. O'Regan was regarded pretty much as an AHL guy at the time of the trade, a "change-of-scenery might work" guy. He was not one of the Sharks' top prospects.

I'd say best case Hall + salary => 2021 Conditional 1st/2nd based on re-signing; 2022 2nd for retaining salary; a guy comparable to our D Ryan Johnson or F Arttu Ruotsalainen in the "they should make it" category; and a 2022 4th.

We're not getting a team's Cozens or Quinn for a rental in a COVID-shortened year.

• Like (+1) 1

This season is not a good indicator of what Hall, or most other Sabres for that matter, really will bring to the table.  Again, this season is a waste.  We all know what Hall can do.  He is a differnce maker in this league.  Bottom line.

He will be 30 soon, I think, so ... 5 years ... $7.5 per.

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/19/2021 at 12:54 PM, New Scotland (NS) said:

This season is not a good indicator of what Hall, or most other Sabres for that matter, really will bring to the table.  Again, this season is a waste.  We all know what Hall can do.  He is a differnce maker in this league.  Bottom line.

Not a difference maker with Edmonton.  Had one great season and earned a Hart.  

I would much rather pay Reinhart.  I would try to get a solid prospect and a pick for Hall at the deadline.  

• Like (+1) 3

On 2/19/2021 at 1:54 PM, New Scotland (NS) said:

Just what do we all know Hall can do?  He is not a difference maker in the league anymore.

He is now in his 12th year in his career, in 11 of those he hasn't even hit 30 goals. Since his mvp year, 3 years has gone by and one major knee surgery. He is at an age where production for forwards starts to go down.  Since that MVP season, most of it has not been with the Sabres and he is doing 19.9 goals and 50.3 assist per 82 games....and as his age goes up, his production per game has gone down every season as he gets older.

That to me is no longer a 'difference maker' and someone I don't want to pay 7.5 per year to...certainly not over 5 years.

• Like (+1) 3

16 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

Just what do we all know Hall can do?  He is not a difference maker in the league anymore.

He is now in his 12th year in his career, in 11 of those he hasn't even hit 30 goals. Since his mvp year, 3 years has gone by and one major knee surgery. He is at an age where production for forwards starts to go down.  Since that MVP season, most of it has not been with the Sabres and he is doing 19.9 goals and 50.3 assist per 82 games....and as his age goes up, his production per game has gone down every season as he gets older.

That to me is no longer a 'difference maker' and someone I don't want to pay 7.5 per year to...certainly not over 5 years.

70 points would definitely be a difference maker I’m just highly skeptical he’ll ever get back to that given what you’ve laid out and I’m not paying and committing to find out 

• Like (+1) 2

57 minutes ago, Thorny said:

70 points would definitely be a difference maker I’m just highly skeptical he’ll ever get back to that given what you’ve laid out and I’m not paying and committing to find out 

I didn’t watch much of Hall last year, but it’s interesting reading some of the commentary in hindsight, and juxtaposing it with what we’ve seen this year and the kind of offers he’s got in free agency.

It seems there was a strong streak of “he’s not the same player since the knee injury” running through the scouting community.

When I watch Hall and Staal and Eakin, I wonder how heavily each was scouted prior to their acquisition. Were we going off data accumulated by Botterill’s mostly fired crew? Was it largely about Nightingale and the new skeleton crew running some tape and crunching some numbers? Was it Ralph (Hall) and Kevyn (Staal) leaning hard into their past associations?

I’d imagine it was pieces of each, but the common thread here is we acquired players who aren’t as good as they used to be. I posted in fall that the Eakin signing in particular would tell me a lot about player evaluation under the new regime.

None of our three biggest acquisitions have done anything to demonstrate that our lean staff knows what it is doing.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 5

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.