Taylor Hall signing: 8 million one yr with Sabres

Brawndo

On 10/11/2020 at 9:08 PM, miles said:

i was supposed to go last season. i had tickets to the end of march, which was obviously cancelled. unfortunately its unlikely i will ever get the opportunity to go again. i always dreamed of gong to see the sabres in buffalo

When things get back to normal you have to make the trip. We travel once a year from the opposite side of the state and it's always a blast; stay at the Harborcenter, get 716 for dinner.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, I-90 W said:

When things get back to normal you have to make the trip. We travel once a year from the opposite side of the state and it's always a blast; stay at the Harborcenter, get 716 for dinner.

I got some dinner suggestions

On 10/14/2020 at 7:18 PM, thewookie1 said:

I grow so weary of the hockey establishment; I’d love for the Sabres to burn it down by going on an “Us against the world!” Tour

Not sure this team has that level of heart yet. 

Let’s say all goes well and Hall has a great season. Can we afford to re-sign him?  We have about 40 mill committed to 9 players (7F 2D) with Dahlin and Joker as RFAs and Montour, McCabe, Staal and of course Hall as UFAs. Depending on the contracts for VO, Reinhart and Ullmark we could have another 13 mill added to the 40 mill or up to another 3 players to re-sign.

Sounds like chaos, but do we want to invest 35 mill on 4 forwards (Eichel, Reinhart, Hall and Skinner) plus Dahlin and KO still here? 

31 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Let’s say all goes well and Hall has a great season. Can we afford to re-sign him?  We have about 40 mill committed to 9 players (7F 2D) with Dahlin and Joker as RFAs and Montour, McCabe, Staal and of course Hall as UFAs. Depending on the contracts for VO, Reinhart and Ullmark we could have another 13 mill added to the 40 mill or up to another 3 players to re-sign.

Sounds like chaos, but do we want to invest 35 mill on 4 forwards (Eichel, Reinhart, Hall and Skinner) plus Dahlin and KO still here? 

It's kinda why I think the Sabres won't go long-term with Reinhart right now unless they can get a bargain, and are probably quietly talking to Dahlin.

They are going to watch things play out this year, but they will have to keep their powder dry for those two over Sam, particularly with the Skinner deal and the fact the cap won't be going up again.

Another under-discussed situation: Montour and McCabe are UFAs at the end of this season and Risto and Miller the next.

They have about $41 million committed already to next year, meaning $40 million for Dahlin, Jokiharju, Reinhart, Olofsson, Ullmark and maybe Hall, plus replacements for Montour, McCabe, Staal and another goalie.

11 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I got some dinner suggestions

Not sure this team has that level of heart yet. 

I’m all ears for the dinner suggestions. 716 is good and convienant but the last two years it gave me diarrhea.

Also last season was there during the Bills playoff game (had already scheduled weeks in advance) right after our Sabres game and it was NUTS. More power to them, but prefer a more chill laid back place. 

Edited by I-90 W

As I've said previously, I think there is a good chance that Hall has a big year on Eichel's wing, and that he likes it here enough to sign an extension -- and that the Sabres will be very interested in doing so.  If that's the case, their decision on Reino will be informed by a desire to maintain sufficient payroll flexibility to allow them to sign Hall.

It doesn't seem likely that Reino would sign a long-term deal that is cheap enough (i.e. $5MM per year or less) for the Sabres to feel like they would still have enough room for what it will take to keep Hall (which, if Hall is happy here, I think will be about what Skinner got).

The Sabres might be OK with going through arbitration with Reino, since it would only be a 1-year deal and he would still be RFA at the end of it.

It's a very interesting situation.

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Not a problem.  This is where the expansion draft is going to help us.  Okposo and our 2021 1st or Skinner and our 2nd to Seattle for the win.  Throw in a prospect or two to make the Okposo deal happen and we are in business.  We can be win now and win for the next 5 years if this is played right.  

Edited by SHAAAUGHT!!!
Okposo and 1st OR Skinner and 2nd

43 minutes ago, SHAAAUGHT!!! said:

Not a problem.  This is where the expansion draft is going to help us.  Okposo and our 2021 1st or Skinner and our 2nd to Seattle for the win.  Throw in a prospect or two to make the Okposo deal happen and we are in business.  We can be win now and win for the next 5 years if this is played right.  

I wonder if that would be enough to get Seattle to take Skinner?  They are going to regret that contract a lot more than even Okposo's.  In fact, even if Hall loves Buffalo and wants to stay beyond this season, I can't see how it happens as long as Skinner is a Sabre.

37 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

I wonder if that would be enough to get Seattle to take Skinner?  They are going to regret that contract a lot more than even Okposo's.  In fact, even if Hall loves Buffalo and wants to stay beyond this season, I can't see how it happens as long as Skinner is a Sabre.

We shouldn't have to give up a first to Seattle OR Skinner. Ya sure maybe if Skinner comes out and has another down year. Are we really going to want to unload a 30 goal scorer if he returns to form, in his prime, when hopefully we'll be a playoff team?

If our top 6 next year looks as good as it does on paper (honestly I think this is being undersold in the hockey world, at large), I think it's one we are going to want to keep together if possible. Our window starts now. 

Edited by Thorny

• 2 months later...

I just talked to my connection in St Louis Blues and he did not have the most glowing things to say about Taylor Hall. Let's hope a change of scenery helps out a bit here in Buffalo.....

Tocchet was in town w Berube a month ago and they were at my buddies bar

Tocchet was going on and on about how he couldn't wait to get rid of him. Said he's a good player, but not a team guy and too high maintenance for his tastes.

54 minutes ago, CallawaySabres said:

I just talked to my connection in St Louis Blues and he did not have the most glowing things to say about Taylor Hall. Let's hope a change of scenery helps out a bit here in Buffalo.....

Tocchet was going on and on about how he couldn't wait to get rid of him. Said he's a good player, but not a team guy and too high maintenance for his tastes.

I hear completely opposite opinion from people close to RaKu. Some people just connect differently.

35 minutes ago, CallawaySabres said:

Is this the guy who hasn’t had a winning record in 5 seasons as a HC, who got arrested and plead guilty to running an illegal gambling ring, whose organization is a complete disaster?

He only coached Hall for half a season.  Maybe Hall just wasn’t happy to be in Arizona?  Also, it’s easy to say that you don’t want someone and are glad they are gone after they have already left you on their own decision.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, CallawaySabres said:

Rick Tocchet and Craig Berube are from the Mesozoic era.  I wouldn’t trust a single thing they have to say about anything hockey related.  

On 10/18/2020 at 10:06 PM, I-90 W said:

I’m all ears for the dinner suggestions. 716 is good and convienant but the last two years it gave me diarrhea.

Also last season was there during the Bills playoff game (had already scheduled weeks in advance) right after our Sabres game and it was NUTS. More power to them, but prefer a more chill laid back place. 

There's lots of places downtown. 

716 is overrated. 

Bid Ditch has good food. Tappo is right there for Italian. Toutant is also good although more upscale. A block or 2 from the train. 

Pearl Street is fine, better than 716.

Sato brewpub is near Pearl and fun for relaxed Japanese food. 

Sidelines is just across from the Embassy suites and has good food with a relaxed atmosphere. It's only a block from the train.

River Works is just around the corner from the arena and I've always done well there. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Hall's agent Darren Ferris to Pierre Lebrun in today's Athletic

“Well, if it’s any indication from the search for a team when we first went into free agency, even with the pandemic involved, and the tightening that happened, there were still teams motivated and trying to do something in order to sign him on a longer-term deal,’’ Hall’s agent Darren Ferris. “So I’m quite confident that that will return. I know he’s excited, I think the rest has been an advantage for players like Taylor to heal and to get back on track. And he’s got an elite centre to play with. It’s going to an interesting year. And I know he’s not ruling out staying in Buffalo. He’s mentioned that to me on numerous occasions. That’s a very real likelihood.’’

23 minutes ago, Curt said:

That wasn’t my reading.  Honestly, I read that and didn’t take anything in particular away from it.

Really, it sounds to me like he is already shopping his client and when he realized his comments sounded like Hall won’t re-sign in Buffalo he added the last line to try to soften the blow.  The last line frankly sounds like something like my kids would says when we told them to eat their spinach.  “Sure Dad I really like the spinach.”

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.