Taylor Hall signing: 8 million one yr with Sabres

Brawndo

49 minutes ago, MattPie said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellow_journalism

It's likely been around at least as long as the printing press (see "Pamphlets"). Before that, probably just took a lot more work to create biased stone tablets and illuminated manuscripts.

oh and before that, crap like that was spread by gossip and rumor word of mouth.  In fact that is still a mode of spreading false but plausible rumors.  We used to call it whisper campaigns used in everyday campaigning.  It was organized... 

Edited by North Buffalo

14 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

We could make the playoffs...

end this drought right now...

but for this to succeed, 

there is someone else we need!

Taylor Hall! 

Cause he knows what to do with the puck on his stick!

Taylor Hall!

Noone has his resilience or matches Eichel's practical, tactical brilliance!

Taylor Hall!

We are gonna need someone like him eventually,

what's he gonna do on the bench, I mean??

Taylor Hall!

You want to fight for the Atlantic back?

You need Eichel's right hand man back!

Taylor Hall!

Get Eichel's right hand man back...gotta get Eichel's right hand man back!

Gotta get his agent on the phone and get Eichel's right hand man back...

Taylor Hall...Eichel's waiting here for you....

If you sign by tomorrow night...

the playoffs will be ours by early light...

The Atlantic will never be the same....

Taaaaayyyyyyyyloooooooorrrrrrr Haaaaaallllllll......

Does that make you the Sabres' favorite fighting Frenchman?

(and well done.)

Edited by carpandean

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

I think this team is a lot closer to winning than many observers think.  I think this team is a goalie away.

Agree completely.

Heading into this off-season they were a 2C & a goalie away from having a shot at the playoffs & a 2W and a LHD away from being a favorite to have 1 of the WC slots.

They brought in an honest to goodness (though long in the tooth) 2C.

They still need the goalie, but apparently have irons in the fire.

They didn't get a 2W, they got a bona-fide 1W.

They still almost definitely need the 2/3 LHD, though Adams claims Irwin can be that.

They have prospects & a small surplus of RHD to make at least the goalie upgrade happen.

If it does, they will be a tough out.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

What other teams are saying about the Hall signing:

https://theathletic.com/2136381/2020/10/14/execs-unfiltered-thoughts-on-hall-trades-and-every-nhl-teams-offseason-so-far/

The Sabres pulled off the most surprising move of free agency in signing Taylor Hall to a one-year deal worth $8 million. And while execs certainly liked the move for the Sabres, there was a healthy dose of skepticism as to what drove Hall to make the decision.

“I was very surprised,” said an Eastern Conference exec. “He told everybody that his priority is winning and he wants to go somewhere he can win. He was asking teams questions like, ‘How quickly can you win?’ If he went to Colorado or Boston or Dallas or somebody like that for one year, I get it. A team that’s still rebuilding? I don’t get it unless it’s about money.”

A Western Conference exec echoed those thoughts: “Everything we heard is he was going to go somewhere to win for a year and then sign big money afterward. I can’t say he can’t win in Buffalo but it’s not like him signing in Colorado. I would imagine (the Sabres) were the highest bidder at one year, $8 million. It’s not to say they couldn’t have a decent team, they could.”

In terms of what Buffalo is getting, the one year contract mitigates a lot of risk for the Sabres, who now get an opportunity to do a full evaluation of Hall moving forward.

“Look, he’s been an unreal player in his career and was full value for winning MVP,” said another exec. “It’s also fair to say he had a pretty significant injury a couple years ago and his play has fallen off since then. Your evaluation on him is based on how much you can think he can bounce back to the level he was before. If he can get anything close to that, he’s a superstar.”

The trade for Eric Staal was universally praised. There’s no question the Sabres upgraded their roster, the question is going to be whether or not the results will be dramatic enough to please the most important people, like say, Jack Eichel.

“I liked some of their moves, I don’t know what they’re thinking defensively,” said another executive. “I like the Staal trade a lot. Hall for a year is low-risk. They’re in a tough position. It’s not an easy job to go into a situation where you have a star player (in Jack Eichel) antsy to win and a team that’s not all that close to winning and trying to navigate that. It’s not easy. Those are two specific moves that help.”

I was struck by the comments made that money was a primary consideration for him as if it sullied his motivation. Not only was it an important consideration but if it wasn't then he is a dope. When looking at the decision and considering which teams would be most appealing for him it would be the teams that offered him the most money and gave him a short enough deal to get back into the free agent market when the economic environment was healthier.  Related to that money issue what enhances Hall's future contract's prospects is that he would be playing with an elite player that would help him to enhance his game and burnish his stats for his next contract negotiation. In addition, on the plus side for him is that he is playing for a coach that he knows well and respects. And to top off the plus side of the argument where to play is that he is playing on a team that is close to his home and family. 

What is apparent in the many interviews for the Buffalo market that have surfaced is that he is a bright and thoughtful person. Some people may be surprised at his decision but what can't be denied is that he fully examined his options and made a very reasoned decision that was in his best interest. 

To be honest I'm still stunned that he landed in Buffalo.  I may be a bit dizzy but I'm also ecstatic. 

Edited by JohnC
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, North Buffalo said:

The other thing that folks forget, maybe not as much in hockey but for a top guy like Hall knee injuries still take nearly 2 years to recover from.

He did mention that injury issue in one of his interviews where he said that the rehabbing hurt his training regimen for the next upcoming season. And, as you stated the injury he suffered usually takes another year to get back to original form. If he and Skinner can get back to their top shelf form this team is demonstrably more potent and better.

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/12/2020 at 7:24 AM, LGR4GM said:

I still can't believe Hall is a Sabre. 

I woke up, even when it was published as a done deal from all the insiders, on Buffalo Sabres Twitter, and everything else, and I still didn't believe it.  This is the impact, losing, and terrible owners do to you. As well as 5 general managers and what 5 coaches.  You just live in disbelief every second.

On 10/12/2020 at 9:18 AM, New Scotland (NS) said:

I have been thinking about it a bit and I think this is the biggest UFA signing in the history of the Sabres.

It is because everyone else is brought in via trade:  You think Hasek, Lafontaine, Briere, etc.  They were all additions in that regard or drafted here.  I guess the closest you bring in, might be a defensemen.  But, this is a flashy, awestruck moment in Sabres history. 

• Like (+1) 2

On 10/12/2020 at 11:22 AM, dudacek said:

Wow Hall is first class!

The stuff he is saying about Buffalo needs to clipped and replayed every time somebody cuts down the city and the team and the way they are perceived.

He so affable, personable, and he took the questions quite serious and answered them thoughtfully, with intent, and it just made you smile.  Who gives a flying **** what other teams fans think of our joke of team.  This is the type of athlete, you can get behind.  ***** right, TAYLOR ***** HALL is a Buffalo Sabre. 

On 10/12/2020 at 7:25 PM, Turbo44 said:

Mittelstadt for Kuemper

bring Pilut back to be #2 LHD ( he has an out clause on his KHL contract

Trade Miller for a 3rd and Hutton for a 7th

goalie situation solved, d solved, cap fine, playoff team 

I'm good with Middelstadt and a 2nd for Kuemper.  I think you'd have to really tempt Arizona to move on from Kuemper.  But, he's the best fit for this team.  

On 10/12/2020 at 6:18 PM, Andrew Amerk said:

LOL 

2061EC40-49C0-4105-ADB3-B4A02242ADE1.png

This is what gives Buffalo a bad name.  Incompetence at it's finest.  Not surprised that Terry, hasn't made them their press announcer.  I hate Harrington and Hamilton so much. 

Fix the left side of the defense.  Find someone else on the bottom C spot.  I like Lazar quite a bit, but he's not someone I trust taking over for a very functionally sound Larsson.  This team still has some gaping holes on the defense.  

DO NOT LET NEXT SEASON START WITH HUTTON ON THIS ROSTER.

Fix the goaltending.  TODAY.

3 hours ago, TheCerebral1 said:

This is what gives Buffalo a bad name.  Incompetence at it's finest.  Not surprised that Terry, hasn't made them their press announcer.  I hate Harrington and Hamilton so much. 

Except I think that is Wawrow.

• Like (+1) 1

Nobody expects Taylor Hall to elevate the Sabres into the playoffs, or to stick around after this season.

Nobody is pitching this as the move that will bring the Sabres back to respectability.

Basically, the league thinks the Sabres are beyond saving. Hall is going to use Eichel to springboard himself into a big long-term contract next year in the place where he really wants to go. And then Eichel can follow so they don’t have to pay any attention to the franchise any more. The Sabres should be content to get a jolt of excitement for their marketing department. Here’s a pat on the head.

I so badly want the players and organization to feed off their patronizing attitudes and make next season a huge FU to the hockey establishment.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Nobody expects Taylor Hall to elevate the Sabres into the playoffs, or to stick around after this season.

Nobody is pitching this as the move that will bring the Sabres back to respectability.

Basically, the league thinks the Sabres are beyond saving. Hall is going to use Eichel to springboard himself into a big long-term contract next year in the place where he really wants to go. And then Eichel can follow so they don’t have to pay any attention to the franchise any more. The Sabres should be content to get a jolt of excitement for their marketing department. Here’s a pat on the head.

I so badly want the players and organization to feed off their patronizing attitudes and make next season a huge FU to the hockey establishment.

I grow so weary of the hockey establishment; I’d love for the Sabres to burn it down by going on an “Us against the world!” Tour

• Like (+1) 7

5 hours ago, matter2003 said:

We could make the playoffs...

end this drought right now...

but for this to succeed, 

there is someone else we need!

Taylor Hall! 

Cause he knows what to do with the puck on his stick!

Taylor Hall!

Noone has his resilience or matches Eichel's practical, tactical brilliance!

Taylor Hall!

We are gonna need someone like him eventually,

what's he gonna do on the bench, I mean??

Taylor Hall!

You want to fight for the Atlantic back?

You need Eichel's right hand man back!

Taylor Hall!

Get Eichel's right hand man back...gotta get Eichel's right hand man back!

Gotta get his agent on the phone and get Eichel's right hand man back...

Taylor Hall...Eichel's waiting here for you....

If you sign by tomorrow night...

the playoffs will be ours by early light...

The Atlantic will never be the same....

Taaaaayyyyyyyyloooooooorrrrrrr Haaaaaallllllll......

You've inspired me to write a Haiku about Taylor. 

Buff - a - lo signs  Hall

League - ques-tions  mo-ti-va-tion

Sab-res must win Now

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, dudacek said:

https://theathletic.com/2136381/2020/10/14/execs-unfiltered-thoughts-on-hall-trades-and-every-nhl-teams-offseason-so-far/

The Sabres pulled off the most surprising move of free agency in signing Taylor Hall to a one-year deal worth $8 million. And while execs certainly liked the move for the Sabres, there was a healthy dose of skepticism as to what drove Hall to make the decision.

“I was very surprised,” said an Eastern Conference exec. “He told everybody that his priority is winning and he wants to go somewhere he can win. He was asking teams questions like, ‘How quickly can you win?’ If he went to Colorado or Boston or Dallas or somebody like that for one year, I get it. A team that’s still rebuilding? I don’t get it unless it’s about money.”

A Western Conference exec echoed those thoughts: “Everything we heard is he was going to go somewhere to win for a year and then sign big money afterward. I can’t say he can’t win in Buffalo but it’s not like him signing in Colorado. I would imagine (the Sabres) were the highest bidder at one year, $8 million. It’s not to say they couldn’t have a decent team, they could.”

In terms of what Buffalo is getting, the one year contract mitigates a lot of risk for the Sabres, who now get an opportunity to do a full evaluation of Hall moving forward.

“Look, he’s been an unreal player in his career and was full value for winning MVP,” said another exec. “It’s also fair to say he had a pretty significant injury a couple years ago and his play has fallen off since then. Your evaluation on him is based on how much you can think he can bounce back to the level he was before. If he can get anything close to that, he’s a superstar.”

The trade for Eric Staal was universally praised. There’s no question the Sabres upgraded their roster, the question is going to be whether or not the results will be dramatic enough to please the most important people, like say, Jack Eichel.

“I liked some of their moves, I don’t know what they’re thinking defensively,” said another executive. “I like the Staal trade a lot. Hall for a year is low-risk. They’re in a tough position. It’s not an easy job to go into a situation where you have a star player (in Jack Eichel) antsy to win and a team that’s not all that close to winning and trying to navigate that. It’s not easy. Those are two specific moves that help.”

I read these comments and you could just see that one of these “exec” (or someone like him) leaked the Eichel trade rumor. I get that the NYRs did make a phone call (as any GM is free to do), but there was zero substance in that non-story. I wouldn’t be surprised if they caught wind of the Sabres’ Hall interest and decided to use a tool in their toolbox. 

5 minutes ago, kas23 said:

I read these comments and you could just see that one of these “exec” (or someone like him) leaked the Eichel trade rumor. I get that the NYRs did make a phone call (as any GM is free to do), but there was zero substance in that non-story. I wouldn’t be surprised if they caught wind of the Sabres’ Hall interest and decided to use a tool in their toolbox. 

How can there be zero substance to the story if there was a phone call and inquiry? Wild and far fetch proposals that are unlikely to be acted on are made between organizations all the time. This rumor was actually true because it was acknowledged by Buffalo's GM. 

10 minutes ago, JohnC said:

How can there be zero substance to the story if there was a phone call and inquiry? Wild and far fetch proposals that are unlikely to be acted on are made between organizations all the time. This rumor was actually true because it was acknowledged by Buffalo's GM. 

I didn’t say it was a lie, but that there was zero substance to it because anyone is free to call GM Adams and ask for them for a trade. That’s not what I would consider as news as it probably happens a few times per day. Considering there’s no tollbooth to such an action, then why would anyone care? Do people run stories about when a GM ties their shoes? These are not substantial occurrences. Given that, this story was then twisted into the Sabres entertaining trade offers and that Eichel may have requested a trade and was possibly unhappy. That was the story, not that the Rangers called once about Eichel. That was cleared up by Adams, not the dude that tweeted the story.

1 minute ago, kas23 said:

I didn’t say it was a lie, but that there was zero substance to it because anyone is free to call GM Adams and ask for them for a trade. That’s not what I would consider as news as it probably happens a few times per day. Considering there’s no tollbooth to such an action, then why would anyone care? Do people run stories about when a GM ties their shoes? These are not substantial occurrences. Given that, this story was then twisted into the Sabres entertaining trade offers and that Eichel may have requested a trade and was possibly unhappy. That was the story, not that the Rangers called once about Eichel. That was cleared up by Adams, not the dude that tweeted the story.

The hockey game, like every sport, swirls with rumors. Most lack merit while some do. It's an aspect of the game that engages fans. Discussing these flimsy stories is the fun part of the business for fans during the season and keeps up interest in the offseason. You keep bringing up that there was zero substance to the rumor. How can that be when it actually happened? No one is arguing that the actual spit balling inquiry was going to materialize into a deal. This story was not twisted. It was acknowledged by our GM as a fact. So to say that it was twisted is false. 

GMs from teams are in constant communication during the season and offseason. Making improbable proposals for the sake of probing for other deals happen all the time. There is no conspiracy or act of sabotage here in the public acknowledgment of a true story. It happens all the time and it encourages fan discussions about the sport.  

I think this is a great move.  Maybe Hall leaves after a great year with Eichel, maybe he stays somehow.  

Staal and now Hall.  I think Eakin and Reider will help too.  

Keep it going.  Get a goalie, then balance out the defense (right to left) while adding a prospect.  

If just one of Cozens or Tage can be a solid forward that would be a huge bonus. Don’t forget players like Dahlin, Skinner, and Reinhart.  Its time for this team to take a jump, now they have the talent to do it. 

Edited by Pimlach
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

9 hours ago, dudacek said:

“I liked some of their moves, I don’t know what they’re thinking defensively,” said another executive. “I like the Staal trade a lot. Hall for a year is low-risk. They’re in a tough position. It’s not an easy job to go into a situation where you have a star player (in Jack Eichel) antsy to win and a team that’s not all that close to winning and trying to navigate that. It’s not easy. Those are two specific 

I think Hall signed for one year with the promised to play with Jack. The teamimproves enough to make the playoffs, but the Sabres are not enough to win a cup. Hall sits down with Adam's to figure out which team they think has the best chance to win the cup and negotiates with only team for the best package of picks and young players for Hall. The next off season Hall signs a one year with Buffalo and the do it again. Until the year where they feel his best chance is staying in Buffalo,  that's when they sign him to an extension. 

Has anyone brought up that this is a win...win situation for the Sabres and Hall. 

The Sabres get an elite winger to play with Jack.  If he helps them get to the playoffs, great. It ends the drought and would be worth every penny.  If for some reason the Sabres still struggle they have a pending UFA they can trade to a contender and get multiple prospects and or draft picks back in return.

Hall gets to play with an elite center in a contract year in hopes of regaining MVP type play and sign a big multi year contract.  If he is moved at the deadline it would be to a contender and he would still have a chance to win the cup.

25 minutes ago, Hank said:

I think Hall signed for one year with the promised to play with Jack. The teamimproves enough to make the playoffs, but the Sabres are not enough to win a cup. Hall sits down with Adam's to figure out which team they think has the best chance to win the cup and negotiates with only team for the best package of picks and young players for Hall. The next off season Hall signs a one year with Buffalo and the do it again. Until the year where they feel his best chance is staying in Buffalo,  that's when they sign him to an extension. 

So, following the Blues Tkachuk model?  Sweet.  (Hopefully it works out better. 😉 )

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.